Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 09:46 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Okay... so now Bakery X makes puff pastries filled with bacon for same-sex weddings. The muslim couple down the street now find themselves in need of puff pastries. But....they demand that all bacon be removed from the shop because they find that offensive. Now I know your laughing and going to say that the muslim couple probably wouldn't have gone in to begin with. And yes.. that's probably true. But what is stopping them from doing it just to have the shop owner to say no he wasn't going to remove the bacon from the shop so that they could in turn sue and get their 100K.

This is really going to turn into a slippery slope (as if it hasn't already) when the general public can DEMAND and sue for 100's of thousands of dollars based on ones particular belief's. Guess I should go see if I can find an Atheist baker and DEMAND that he make me the most elaborate religious cake imaginable. Hopefully, he'll turn me down. I'm in need of a quick 100K.
Um? Yeah, no. This isn't remotely relevant.

If a Muslim wants to order puff pastries without bacon, they can certainly make the request. If the bakery can make them without bacon and does so on occasion, then they cannot refuse to do so because their patron is Muslim. They do not have to make their kitchen Kosher or Halal for a Jewish or Muslim customer, just like a Jewish or Muslim business would not have to serve pork because they do not keep it in stock. My Kosher caterer is happy to serve Muslims, Christians, non-observant Jews, and even messianic "Jews." They simply will not be open for business during Shabbat and will only serve Kosher food as they do to every single customer.

A cake is just sugar, flour, eggs, and food coloring. It would never occur to me that someone might find the mere act of baking my wedding cake sinful because they are supporting my eternal commitment to raise my children Jewish and continue to reject their version of the messiah. Why would it occur to a gay couple that putting together some sugar, flour, eggs, and food coloring would be against the beliefs of their baker?

Old 07-04-2015, 09:47 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Probably more profitable that way to tell you the truth.
LOL... True! And BONUS..... the bake shop selling nothing but donuts and cookies, etc. might show a loss for IRS purposes.....

Old 07-04-2015, 09:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Sure and i agree.

But I would support a Muslim t shirt maker if he is forced to make a Muhammad T shirt. I think he should sue.

Did the sweet cake shop owner wanted to stone these two lesbians to death?

sweet cake is their business name, by the way.

These two ladies have shopped at their stores in the past and have never been denied a service. The owner denied their wedding cake business because "participating in gay wedding" is against their religious belief. You don't have to agree, but you need to respect their religious belief. No?

I agree with you that anybody broke the law should be punished. I think the cake shop owner should sue state of Oregon, because at the time, State of Oregon did not view same sex marriage as lawful, How come the state of Oregon was not punished? That is discrimination right there.
The difference is that the Muslim tee shirt maker does not make Muhammad shirts for ANYONE, because they do not OFFER those shirts. The bakery OFFERED wedding cakes.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:52 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Actually, if you actually read the wording of the first amendment, you can see it is actually against the law for the states or the federal government to MAKE such a law requiring them to do this.

'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

So, in this case, it is the law itself that is illegal.
So you really do believe that Christians can break any law they like as long as they claim it's because of their religious beliefs? I doubt any rational Christians would agree with you.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:53 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The difference is that the Muslim tee shirt maker does not make Muhammad shirts for ANYONE, because they do not OFFER those shirts. The bakery OFFERED wedding cakes.
That is why I said "a compromise can be made somewhere" Never said the owner was 100% innocent. But their mistake is that they did not understand the law fully.

You cannot say the bakery refused their business because they are gay. These two girls have shopped at that store before and have never been denied a service.

I agree that they might have broken the law because like you said "The bakery offered wedding cakes"

But at the time, State of Oregon did not recognize gay wedding as lawful. State of Oregon should be held accountable if the bakery must be punished.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
When you can show me an example of them actually being asked to make such a cake, and not just being harassed and persecuted by homosexual supporting anti-Christian bigots, it will be a lot easier to take you seriously. Once again, what this incident provides is yet another example of these hateful people going out of their way to antagonize and try to cause harm to Christian merchants.

And that in addition to their standard, apparently almost daily hateful practice of seeking out Christians to harass, antagonize and harm.
So you just ignored the original source I linked to and made up a whole lot of conspiracy nonsense. What's new?

Old 07-04-2015, 09:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
LOL... True! And BONUS..... the bake shop selling nothing but donuts and cookies, etc. might show a loss for IRS purposes.....
So these supposedly Bible obeying 'Christians' would have no problem conveniently ignoring 'Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's', eh?

Old 07-04-2015, 09:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
That is why I said "a compromise can be made somewhere" Never said the owner was 100% innocent. But their mistake is that they did not understand the law fully.

But you cannot say the bakery refused their business because they are gay. These two girls have shopped at that store before and have never been denied a service.

I agree that they might have broken the law because like you said "The bakery offered wedding cakes"

But at the time, State of Oregon did not recognize gay wedding as lawful. State of Oregon should be held accountable if the bakery must be punished.
They were refused the cake because they were a same sex couple, the same cake would be sold to an opposite sex couple. What is the difference between the two couples?

The couple were getting married in another state and having the reception in Oregon. So the baker was not even going to be in the same state as the wedding. There was no participation of the baker in the wedding at all.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Okay... so now Bakery X makes puff pastries filled with bacon for same-sex weddings. The muslim couple down the street now find themselves in need of puff pastries. But....they demand that all bacon be removed from the shop because they find that offensive. Now I know your laughing and going to say that the muslim couple probably wouldn't have gone in to begin with. And yes.. that's probably true. But what is stopping them from doing it just to have the shop owner to say no he wasn't going to remove the bacon from the shop so that they could in turn sue and get their 100K.

This is really going to turn into a slippery slope (as if it hasn't already) when the general public can DEMAND and sue for 100's of thousands of dollars based on ones particular belief's. Guess I should go see if I can find an Atheist baker and DEMAND that he make me the most elaborate religious cake imaginable. Hopefully, he'll turn me down. I'm in need of a quick 100K.
Like I said "Learn about anti-discrimination law, protected class and public accommodation."

Your 'example' shows that you clearly don't understand what 'protected class' means.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:05 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,850 times
I could see this if they refused to sell them any bakery products but a wedding cake does have personalization to it and based upon that personalization the bakers found it not compatible with their religious beliefs. If I remember correctly there was a similar issue in TN regarding a birthday cake for a child named Adolph Hitler. If you value personal freedom then stop voting Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies