Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:14 PM

16,575 posts, read 8,600,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Did either Bush every put red white and blue on the white house?
I don't know. But he certainly didn't, nor ever would have put a homosexual flags colors on the White House.
Frankly, I don't think any previous president would have either.

`

Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I don't know. But he certainly didn't, nor ever would have put a homosexual flags colors on the White House.

`
Probably not. Seeing as how gays were shunned and closeted for...ever. But thankfully, times have changed!

God Bless America!!!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:30 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

`
Your preoccupation with homosexuality makes you sound like you are either in the closet or afraid that it's contagious.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:55 PM

16,575 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Your preoccupation with homosexuality makes you sound like you are either in the closet or afraid that it's contagious.
Well liberals love to try and pull that absurd accusation, but I am immune to the PC critic tactics. Just like when I am told I am racist for opposing Obama's leftist agenda, or preoccupied for speaking candidly about race.
I guess by your warped thinking I might be a closeted black person like Rachel Dolezal.
Wait, I speak out about other things like why the media is so willing to call a man a woman, just because he says he is one.
Maybe I am a closeted black, trans, homo, communist, bi, cross-dressing LGBTXYZ.

`

Old 07-05-2015, 12:09 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
AfternoonCoffee and MoonBeam33: You have to remember that there are a lot of people out there who have a great deal of difficulty distinguishing between true greatness (which we, as a country, have been on many occasions), and the ability to distinguish our greatness from our failings. They are the old "love it leave it" crowd.

The United States has done some of the greatest things in world history, and every once in a while some of the worst. More on the plus side, in my view, but we struggle along to perfect our country. The founding fathers knew we were not perfect, which is why the Preamble to the Constitution says, "in order to form a more perfect union".

Moonbeam33, you've listed several areas where we were far from perfect. That's realistic. And you're right, an awfully lot of Americans are starry eyed about loving their country, in part because they've never traveled internationally and have no concept that other countries also have some wonderful attributes. Instead, they look down their noses at the rest of the world because they think they are so much better, even though they have little personal experience to judge that against.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:34 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Moonbeam33, you've listed several areas where we were far from perfect. That's realistic. And you're right, an awfully lot of Americans are starry eyed about loving their country, in part because they've never traveled internationally and have no concept that other countries also have some wonderful attributes. Instead, they look down their noses at the rest of the world because they think they are so much better, even though they have little personal experience to judge that against.
Well said.
The most sincere, beautiful, loving tribute to love of country I ever experienced was mid-September in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

But today was a day to celebrate our love for our own home land, and not in any way to denigrate anyone else's.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:34 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Good post! President Obama has also used the black community to cause chaos. Brought in poor people from other countries to compete for the jobs Americans should be doing, yet they don't want to. Americans can't sit and complain jobs are not available, when others are standing in line to take those jobs, along with keeping wages down.
The H1B, H2A and H2B visa programs that bring in foreign workers were begun in 1990 by the administration of George H.W. Bush. But don't let small facts get in your way.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:26 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
So much dumb in this thread.

Now I'm dumb for posting in it. Thanks idiots

Old 07-05-2015, 06:03 AM

35,047 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
You are referring to the past and therefore miss the point. Yes, America was a great country. I, however, and many others believe that America is no longer a great country, or at the very least certainly no better than other more socially advanced countries.
Except the "more socially advanced countries" afford their "advancement" by virtue of the U.S. defense umbrella, and refusal to defend themselves. Even with this they are still shedding more prosperous people to the U.S. and Canada. Their immigrants are, to put it kindly, not strivers or hard workers, at least the second generation of those immigrants.
Quote:
And it's quite obnoxious to declare our country the best in the world, considering the state of our public education system, our treatment of the poor, our continual rampant bigotry and racism (and denial thereof), and the fact that money is what buys political office these days.
Perhaps the public education system reflects the quality of the students. We are the only country that makes a serious effort to include and educate the underclass. That costs more than sticking them in banlieus (sp) in France.

Quote:
The constant meddling in the domestic affairs of other countries, our nationwide ignorance about other cultures, the constant war mongering, and yes, the ignorance of people who insist that America is the greatest country in the world (while simultaneously having never visited another country) do not make us a great country.
It would be great if Russia and the Muslim countries and peoples stopped stirring the pot. But they won't.

Quote:
The whole country is in denial about our fall from excellence.
At least we're trying.

Quote:
(Cue the posts telling me to move to China since I like communism so much...)
Better point is, why do so many people try to come here if we're not the greatest country?

Old 07-05-2015, 06:11 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,942,570 times
No surprise there...he's about dividing; not uniting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies