Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because only the way you define this symbol counts. It's not like how the people actually using this symbol have any input into how they define it?
You're right, I can't believe I generalized the meaning of a couple rednecks basically giving the finger to the president. We should go talk to them and see if their intentions were educational in nature.

Again, my point is that jerks need to be called out, regardless of political persuasion. But I guess in this situation, they're actually the poor, misunderstood victims? If they wanted to seriously convey a message, they could have chosen a different symbol. Or used words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Thanks for addressing my whole post. I'm from the south and know that not everyone that has the flag in some representation in their house is a racist. But I feel safe in making the statement that a couple idiots waving the rebel flag at the president are doing it to be jerks, and should be called out as such. Again, there's nothing illegal about it, but in this day and age, it's generally waved around in situations like that to provoke a response, not to encourage discussion.

And to your final point, thanks. I think I am pretty amazing, glad you recognized it.
Isn't provoking a response actually initiating a discussion?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:28 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times
Quote:
Thanks for addressing my whole post. I'm from the south and know that not everyone that has the flag in some representation in their house is a racist. But I feel safe in making the statement that a couple idiots waving the rebel flag at the president are doing it to be jerks, and should be called out as such. Again, there's nothing illegal about it, but in this day and age, it's generally waved around in situations like that to provoke a response, not to encourage discussion.

And to your final point, thanks. I think I am pretty amazing, glad you recognized it.
Well, if you are simply referring to the idiots from my home state that conducted this act, then, yes, I'd say you are correct that they are doing it to stir up crap... probably.

But again, we really do not know that, exactly, do we? They are probably racist rednecks, but what if they were something else? What if they look at it as I do, as a former of protest concerning the PC nature of the problem?

I personally do not own the stars and bars. My old uniforms contain the patches of the stars and stripes. But I can see why people would want to start flying the S&B, simply as a statement against the current PC hysteria. Maybe - just maybe - a new meaning of the flag could be established.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I tend not to socialize with people waving the Confederate flag like idiots, I had enough of that when I grew up in the South.
You have a point. But pre-judging people based on how YOU interpret a symbol, rather than inquiring how THEY interpret a symbol, a symbol THEY are using, would definitively be prejudice.

Instead of prejudice, I prefer socialization. Even if, afterwards, I never want to breathe the same air as the flag-waver. I at least know for sure what they are trying to communicate.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You're right, I can't believe I generalized the meaning of a couple rednecks basically giving the finger to the president. We should go talk to them and see if their intentions were educational in nature.

Again, my point is that jerks need to be called out, regardless of political persuasion. But I guess in this situation, they're actually the poor, misunderstood victims? If they wanted to seriously convey a message, they could have chosen a different symbol. Or used words.
My point is that calling them out before you have actually ascertained what their intentions are is prejudging them. Calling them out IS an act of hatred. We have enough hatred in this world. And we have more than enough BLIND hatred, which is what prejudging, prejudice, is all about.

No one said they were the poor, misunderstood victims. I said, we don't know what message they wanted to convey. And the choice of symbol is the very essence of FREE speech. I'm pretty sure FREE speech is the very heart of the principles this country was founded upon. Even offensive FREE speech should be defended by all of us.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:41 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Well, if you are simply referring to the idiots from my home state that conducted this act, then, yes, I'd say you are correct that they are doing it to stir up crap... probably.

But again, we really do not know that, exactly, do we? They are probably racist rednecks, but what if they were something else? What if they look at it as I do, as a former of protest concerning the PC nature of the problem?

I personally do not own the stars and bars. My old uniforms contain the patches of the stars and stripes. But I can see why people would want to start flying the S&B, simply as a statement against the current PC hysteria. Maybe - just maybe - a new meaning of the flag could be established.
Well, this topic was about a couple guys in TN, hence my post.

I'm irritated by PC issues, too. But some things go above and beyond simple PC "issues of the day". Again, many of my friends from the south have items around the house with the flag on it- including more than a few die-cast General Lees. But none of them put the flag on their truck and try to provoke responses. They realize that there are a lot of people out there that still hurt and cringe when they see it, because in recent history the flag was used much more as a display of rejection of racial intermingling and civil rights legislation in the 60's.

So, if they're against PC, so be it. But I think that flag issue (which has gone on for decades) goes above a trivial PC issue, and there are better ways to frame the argument than just trying to get people angry at each other.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times
Quote:
You have a point. But pre-judging people based on how YOU interpret a symbol, rather than inquiring how THEY interpret a symbol, a symbol THEY are using, would definitively be prejudice.

Instead of prejudice, I prefer socialization. Even if, afterwards, I never want to breathe the same air as the flag-waver. I at least know for sure what they are trying to communicate.

I think I'll take up some of the habits of those posting in here. How's this?

Every time I see a Catholic priest, I will consider him - and of course, every one of his brethren - a little boy-molesting pedophile.

Every time I see a Central or South American in my vicinity, I will consider him an illegal alien, and push to have him deported.

Every time I see Southern Baptist, I will consider them - and every other SB in the world - a fundamentalist right winger that believes in a flat, 6000yo earth, and evolution to be the devil's creation.

Every time I see a gun toter, I will consider him - and of course every other gun toter in the world - to a RWNJ that wants to put automatic weapons in the hands of toddlers and send them off to pre-school to protect them from the lunacy they are taught by the liberal teachers there.

Come on guys & gals!! Help me with my list so we can all look like some of other the fools posting in here. It oughta be fun and instructive to be as judgemental as they are.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:

It would be a waste of time to ask people their reasoning for a flag they display after growing up in the South, I have heard and seen plenty of reasons why one would display such a flag.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:02 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Exactly. I am white, and I think the confederate flag brings out the worst in people. It's usually being carried by the white trash of our race. I'm sure there are those that are honorably flying the confederate flag, and that's at their home on their flagpole. But when you've got the old pickup trucks with the flag in the window, you're likely gonna find an unkempt guy in a wife-beater with a beer can between his legs and a dip bottle in the console.

That these assclowns came out to greet Obama (who has nothing whatsoever to do with this) with this flag, shows their racism. Point blank.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Really?

Atmospheric "trick of the light" then?
Seems legit. It's current occupant is a gay man and a transgendered woman after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies