Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM

16,085 posts, read 10,747,693 times

Advertisements

Earthlings....give it a rest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM

755 posts, read 675,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Anyone who doesn't know about "Irish-Americans" is pretty ignorant. Google it - you'll get nearly 53 MILLION pages. "German-American" gets over 104 MILLION pages.

Ken

So when you fill out a job application or college application you find a German American category If you look at city demographics it will distinguish white (non Hispanic), black, Native American, Asian, Pacific Islander, and Irish and German American categories as well

Try reading the posts. It is one thing to be ignorant because you were not introduced to the information, but when you are and then on top of that to infer others are ignorant.....wow!

You sir, cannot handle this discussion, so pleas take your one liners elsewhere.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
So when you fill out a job application or college application you find a German American category If you look at city demographics it will distinguish white (non Hispanic), black, Native American, Asian, Pacific Islander, and Irish and German American categories as well

Try reading the posts. It is one thing to be ignorant because you were not introduced to the information, but when you are and then on top of that to infer others are ignorant.....wow!

You sir, cannot handle this discussion, so pleas take your one liners elsewhere.
Use a little common sense.
German-American is not a race.
Those categories pertain to race - not nation of family ancestry.

Ken

Old 07-07-2015, 05:51 PM

Mtl, you and Iamme are stuck on two different topics. Mtl is acknowledging the issue of race and the origins of it's categories, while Iamme is discussing how it is/was used to support such phenomenons as the Manifest Destiny, segregation, discrimination, prejudices, and an overall lack of humanity being afforded to brown skin people.

Like Iamme says.....seeing race and interacting based on race are two different perspectives.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Use a little common sense.
German-American is not a race.
Those categories pertain to race - not nation of family ancestry.

Ken

But African American is?! that's the point.

Some one already posted the three races..Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
This is a bit off topic but related....

I seemed to have missed the decade when the term "Oriental" became politically incorrect (and why)

I asked my co-work Charlie (Xiaolin) who is from China if this term was really regarded as derogatory. He smiled and said, "You can say Oriental."

Personally speaking, I'm OK with someone calling me "Occidental..."

Old 07-07-2015, 06:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I also don't "get" the whole African-American thing. When I was young, it was Afro-American, and it almost made sense, because the hair style known as the "afro" was popular among blacks back then. So in my mind, they were referring to themselves as "the Americans who wear afros." Yes, I was a dork. But it made a dorky kind of sense. Except when I encountered white people who had afros. Then I got confused again.

And later in life, I was told "Negro" isn't a nice word for blacks, because it sounds too much like "the N word" which, to this day, I can't say out loud or type. But in French and Spanish, the word for the color black is negro. So if I was speaking Spanish and asked someone for the pen with black ink, I'd offend some black guy because I called the ink negro. Again - that didn't make a lick of sense to me.

In the meantime, I thought the term African-American was just ridiculous, and still do, because - pay attention now:
There are lots of white people from Africa, living in America. They are African-American, and they are white. There are lots of well-known white Africans - though not all live in America. They're not merely light-skinned blacks - they're white folks. Charlize Theron is one. So's Gary Player. J.R.R. Tolkien was a white South African.

Would a black American be offended by a man with white skin claiming to be an African-American? Look at it the other way: Would a white African-American, be offended by a black man claiming to be an African-American, if neither the black man nor his parents had ever even BEEN to Africa, let alone been born there?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Why are we only focusing our PC on "black" people, why not "white" people? What is a "white" person? If we are going to call black people African American even though they have no African cultural, why not call white people English or Irish or German or Polish or whatever "new" or "old" immigrant country they cam from American?

As a matter of fact since all people originally came from African, why don't we call everyone African American, why just black people?

When do we draw the line of African American people in the U.S.? 400 years removed or 10,000 years removed?

What do you want to be called "white" people? I have never seen a white person before? I have seen some "black" people before, but never a "white" person.

I'm going to start calling all "white" people European Americans...... I think they should be reminded where they are from as well as Asian Americans, Mexican Americans, and African African Americans......... You never here Armenian American, Italian American, Russian American, German American......so European American is appropriate no?
While we're at it, let's also talk about "red" hair. Why do people call it "red"? It's not red, it's orange.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:

But African American is?! that's the point.

Some one already posted the three races..Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid.
African American is just a polite name for Black - so yeah it's a race.
German American is not a race, it's nation of original origin.

Ken

Old 07-07-2015, 07:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Why are we only focusing our PC on "black" people, why not "white" people? What is a "white" person? If we are going to call black people African American even though they have no African cultural, why not call white people English or Irish or German or Polish or whatever "new" or "old" immigrant country they cam from American?

As a matter of fact since all people originally came from African, why don't we call everyone African American, why just black people?

When do we draw the line of African American people in the U.S.? 400 years removed or 10,000 years removed?

What do you want to be called "white" people? I have never seen a white person before? I have seen some "black" people before, but never a "white" person.

I'm going to start calling all "white" people European Americans...... I think they should be reminded where they are from as well as Asian Americans, Mexican Americans, and African African Americans......... You never here Armenian American, Italian American, Russian American, German American......so European American is appropriate no?
Actually yes you do...ALL OF THE TIME. But thanks for the faux outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies