Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:51 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,997,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I have no problems with legal immigration being greatly reduced. In fact, I very much encourage it.

We already have way too many Americans who are either unemployed, underemployed, or juggling several jobs at once. Let's ensure the well-being of our own people first. Call me old fashioned but they come first.
Apparently the "save the world, America has done so much evil they should let everyone from the third world in" leftists, the "America belongs to the Latino's we were here first" Hispanic groups, and the "I want maximum profits even if it destroys my nations way of life" right wingers are the ones winning the battle. Strange bedfellows, but those are the people driving this. The majority of Americans believe the illegal immigration is bad for our country, but our leaders favor the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:58 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,736,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So a full-blooded American who falls in love with a foreigner and marries him/her should just find somewhere else to live?

This is what people who want to stop all immigration generally do not want to address: By far the highest number of US legal immigrants are close family to US citizens.
U.S. citizens have the right to marry who they want and live with their spouse in America if they choose. Beyond that, family ties should hardly matter. Immigrants should be carefully selected based on what they can contribute and how well they can assimilate. And overall numbers should be low enough that the process works smoothly and current citizens are not negatively effected.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:26 PM

46,896 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Tough. All immigration ceases until it is massively overhauled. And that could take a whole.
Sorry, I thought you were a Republican. Y'know, the party supposedly on the side of the citizen striving for happiness. My mistake, clearly.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
U.S. citizens have the right to marry who they want and live with their spouse in America if they choose.
Add young children (that's fair, right?) and parents. and you're looking at a good 40% of those granted permanent residency.

A lot of people seem to think that legal immigration is a matter of filing paperwork and waiting in line. It simply isn't.

The legal immigration avenues are mostly family-based, and clamping down on that mostly means telling citizens to, well, just drop being with their families.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:03 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,736,999 times
Quote:
Add young children (that's fair, right?) and parents.
Of course young children who are born to US citizens, or adopted by them. Parents... no, not necessarily. Other relatives, no. Immigration policy should not result in chain migration of entire villages.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Of course young children who are born to US citizens, or adopted by them. Parents... no, not necessarily. Other relatives, no. Immigration policy should not result in chain migration of entire villages.
The "other relative" category comes with waiting lists measured in, literally, decades. But thanks - and I mean that - for being willing to look at the figures as they actually are. You would not believe the number of people who think you can gain residency in the US by filling out the right form and standing in line for a while.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:34 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,421,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
It's entirely about xenophobia and racism. Nothing more.

Yeah, you'll hear people saying that the country is somehow full or that we can't handle having more labor, but you'll rarely find actual evidence of this.
The evidence is in the numbers.

According to Forbes, we have 18 million Americans who are unemployed or underemployed. And we have the lowest labor participation rate of working age Americans since the late 1970s, when unemployment was in double-digits.

We also have 48 million people on food stamps and over 100 million receiving means tested welfare ranging from subsidized housing to the earned income tax credit (and not including Social Security and Medicare).

In the meantime, liberals complain that the minimum wage is too low.

Gee, I wonder why?

It couldn't be the constant flood of cheap labor flowing into the country thanks to both legal and illegal immigration, could it?

You know, that old supply and demand thingy where too little demand and too much supply results in lower wages?

Quote:
You'll rarely find anyone actually being hurt by immigration, illegal or otherwise.
Wrong.

A woman was just murdered in San Francisco by an illegal immigrant who was let go by the authorities even though he had seven felonies on his record.

In 2008, another illegal immigrant and MS-13 gang member was also saved from deportation by San Francisco's sanctuary city policy.

He murdered a San Francisco father and his two sons.

Quote:
Maybe we'll eventually lose the stigma of being the world's largest nation of monolinguals.
There is no stigma attached to being monolingual that I know of -- except from liberals who themselves are monolingual but want everyone to think that they are smarter and more worldly than they really are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The classic "I got mine" view of the world. Specifically, what did you do to be lucky enough to be born into a rich, powerful country in which every opportunity was afforded to you? Oh, and what have you done since then to believe that no one else deserves it? What did you do to earn it all?
What have you personally done for poor illegal immigrants in this country?

Are five of them living in your home?

Or do you just expect everyone else to get over their "I got mine" way of life?

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you were a Republican. Y'know, the party supposedly on the side of the citizen striving for happiness. My mistake, clearly.
I don't notice that your country -- Denmark -- is eager for lots and lots of Third World immigration.

Clean up your own backyard before judging a country that was more accepting of you than Denmark would ever be of any American.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:41 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,421,103 times
The Republican Party clearly wants the cheap labor that massive legal and illegal immigration bring to this country.

So far, the only Republican presidential candidates who are opposed to the decimation of the American working and middle classes are Donald Trump, Rick Santorum and Scott Walker.

We'll see who sticks to his guns on this issue.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:45 AM

22,356 posts, read 11,886,395 times
Quote:
Add young children (that's fair, right?) and parents. and you're looking at a good 40% of those granted permanent residency.

A lot of people seem to think that legal immigration is a matter of filing paperwork and waiting in line. It simply isn't.

The legal immigration avenues are mostly family-based, and clamping down on that mostly means telling citizens to, well, just drop being with their families.
Well...at the turn of the 20th century, many who immigrated here left family behind and in most cases, they knew that the chance of seeing their parents or siblings again was slim to none.

When my maternal grandparents came here from Europe over 90 years ago, my grandmother was a teen aged bride. The only family member who came along with my grandparents was my grandmother's older sister. Leaving the old country meant leaving behind their widowed mother and all their siblings. Whatever hope my grandmother had of seeing her mother again all but vanished when the old country ended up behind the Iron Curtain. Obviously, I never met my great-grandmother, even though she died when I was in elementary school. All I knew of her was a photo that my grandmother had framed.

My grandparents' story wasn't unique---in fact it was quite common. All those who left behind family didn't complain and demand that this country rectify it. Instead, when they made the choice to come here, they knew what doing so meant.

Now, we have chain family migration that has gotten out of hand and needs to stop. The only family a person who has been approved to come here legally should bring with them is their spouse and minor children.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:44 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,376,295 times
How about we quit allowing corporations to offshore jobs en masse while getting huge tax breaks? That would fix a lot of the "lack of blue collar employment" problem that this solution purports to solve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies