Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 03:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If jobs don't come here, they go elsewhere... If the economy actually demands jobs (Switzerland and Bermuda don't, however Australia, for example, does). I have had a job offer from Netherlands and from Britain over last year or so). I have had a few colleagues/friends relocate to India as well.

Nonsense again. You cannot outsource poultry plants and landscapers. Those jobs can't go elsewhere.

Bermuda and Switzerland have the some of the highest standards of living in the world. I guarantee anyone could move there and start a manual trade easily, undercutting the local people. The government doesn't allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:12 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Both Republicans and Democrats are COWARDS on this issue.

Democrats and liberals scream RAAAAAAAACCCCCIIIIISSSSSSTTTTT and the debate shuts down. Regardless of the fact that illegal immigration cuts against the working class constituency they purport to defend, and leaves less resources for Americans and legal immigrants in need.

Republicans and business conservatives scream PPPRRRROOOOFFFFFFIIIIITTTTSSSS and the debate shuts down. Forget the fact that their long term survival as a party doesn't bode well with an ever-increasing class of serfs who are more likely to vote Democrat.

Bi-partisan idiocy. Enforce the damn existing laws, push hard on business creating a "demand" for illegal labor and push back on Mexico hard where Mexico is absolutely HORRID to its illegal immigrants, but demands the US accommodate its own.
Probably the best response in this thread.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:18 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I'm tired of people saying those of us again immigration are racists. That just shows me how uneducated they are. I'm tired of the unskilled coming here and draining welfare. This is a problem and stats show most immigrants use welfare. I don't care what country they come from. Many coming here are terrorists or gang members, we don't need more of them. I don't want most skilled immigrants either because they take from Americans (h1-b visas). However if you are coming to reunite with a spouse or you possess an in demand specific skill that few others possess (like the maker of the atomic bomb), or even if you are a millionaire coming to create jobs, then these are valid reasons. Unskilled or scum like gang members or terrorists? Stay in your country.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:19 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Citing legal immigration numbers is pointless as long as the number of illegals dwarfs those here legally.

I'm a Democrat and lean left on most issue, but support limitations on all immigration, starting first with illegal immigration. The responsibility of the US Government should be to all US citizens first, not only to business that wants cheap labor, and not only to the Hispanic activists/lobbys that want to increase their own power.

I am Caucasian and have no problem being a minority..what I do have a problem with is excessive numbers of people from Mexico and Central America dominating the immigration numbers. You cannot maintain "diversity" while having most of your immigrants coming from similar (Spanish speaking, central American) cultures.

First, stop illegal immigration.

Watch the employment issue in the US improve dramatically.

Support reforms in Mexico that move them out of the 19th century.

Then, when you find skilled professions that are under-represented, put a set number on people immigrating, equal numbers from all parts of the world. We don't need anymore unskilled labor..there's plenty here already. If you have to pay more for it, tough. At least the money stays in our economy and doesn't go to Mexico.
I would just add that not only would the money stay in our economy but we wouldn't be having to pay for all the social costs of these poor, uneducated and unskilled "immigrants" if they weren't here. Less crowding of our schools, jails, hospitals, neighborhoods and roads also and less crime.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
It's entirely about xenophobia and racism. Nothing more.

Yeah, you'll hear people saying that the country is somehow full or that we can't handle having more labor, but you'll rarely find actual evidence of this. You'll rarely find anyone actually being hurt by immigration, illegal or otherwise. Meanwhile, immigration, both legal and illegal, helps millions of people around the world to find a better life in this beautiful country, and it helps our country grow stronger and more cosmopolitan.

Maybe we'll eventually lose the stigma of being the world's largest nation of monolinguals.
Xenophobia is a fear of strangers. Just what race, ethnic group or nationality is a stranger to our country? It has nothing to do with racism but wanting legal immigration to be in controlled and diversified numbers and immigrants that will be a benefit to our country rather than a burden. Where is the racism in that? Objecting to illegal immigration is not racist either as it is against the law and there is plenty of evidence out there as to the drawbacks of illegal immigration.

You are completely clueless if you don't think that Americans haven't been negatively impacted by illegal immigration. You really need to educate yourself on this subject rather than pulling the race card. What does being monolingual have to do with any of this?

Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Exactly ;illegal ditch diggers are drawn because most Americans refuse to dig ditches. Every country competes for those that can provide vital skills; plain and simple.
What a crock of crap! Who do you think did those blue-collared jobs before the arrival of cheap, illegal alien workers and they and their greedy employers ran them off these jobs by working for less and increasing their profits? Americans have never refused to do those jobs for a fair wage.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
yes, I have posted for years that those opposed to so called illegals are really against immigration in general based on the ethnicity and "race" of most of the immigrants. They believe we have too many of the wrong color entering the nation and really want that stopped.

It's pure xenophobia, and although some Democrats certainly share those sentiments, the political leadership of the party rejects those ideas.

Yet, those racist ideas do find a home with conservatives.
Only a liberal is unable to distinguish the difference between legal and illegal and then twist their ignorance to label other people as racists.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
As a boomer about to retire, why should I care if the Millenials vote to import more labor against which they can't compete?

Old 07-06-2015, 04:41 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The Coutry is ready for effective Law enforcement on the scale of AZ1070 and haveelected officials removed from California for not following Federal Law.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:42 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Probably the best response in this thread.
I like to point out that Democrats Love money and profit and are lee reluctant to say so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies