Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

PLEASE explain WhereTF you got that idea.

This ought to be good.
Really freemkt. Is it such a foreign concept to the left that if you want something you pay for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:03 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Hey Jude... what's stopping you from putting in your own solar energy? Oh that little thing called "paying for it"? That's right, you rant against conservatives but you haven't put in your own solar energy.

And yet the middle class couldn't afford it but let their tax dollar fund the poor area's. Yea, nice...
I rent, so I can't put up solar panels. But I do get my electricity from a local wind farm. Also a nice, cheap, clean energy source.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Really freemkt. Is it such a foreign concept to the left that if you want something you pay for it?

Um, renters can pay as much as they want, that does not allow them to install solar.

: smack::s mack::sm ack:

Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Excellent post. Thank you for illustrating how practical using solar is, and how ridiculous it is to fight against such a clean, readily available energy source.
Who is fighting unsubsidized solar energy?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:05 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Who is fighting unsubsidized solar energy?
Why do we subsidize oil and gas, and to an obscene degree, but the idea of subsidizing clean, renewable energy is somehow out of the question? How about we divert those subsidies to renewable energy? The oil and gas industry sure doesn't need the subsidies.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Problem is, putting in a few new windows adds to the landlord's wealth. I've never seen a government program pay for more than minimal energy efficiency on rentals, e.g. weatherstripping. Government considers substantive energy efficiency to be the owner's responsibility. There are a few places with minimal requirements for rentals but of course not in conservative areas.

PS LIHEAP is a family goodie which is usually useless to unrelated poor adults sharing housing.
And here ladies and gentlement is the problem with the left..

Cant help the poor people save money and conserve energy because that might actually help someone who isnt so poor..

btw, I've had tenants have the government provide them with new furnaces, window air conditioners, replacement of hot water tanks, and yes, even new windows..

Old 07-07-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Excellent post. Thank you for illustrating how practical using solar is, and how ridiculous it is to fight against such a clean, readily available energy source.

When it comes to energy conservation, Conservatives can be summed up by their last great presidential icon, Ronald Reagan, who, in one of his very first acts as president, tore down the solar panels Carter installed on the White House because he preferred to let the free market determine what was good for the country. I think they call that leading from behind.
Oh please.. people install solar and geothermal etc because it is MARKET DRIVEN...

I dont need government to dictate that its in my best interest to save money, nor make fake "feel good" policies which dont make sense..

Old 07-07-2015, 10:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Also a nice, cheap, clean energy source.
It's only cheap because of mandates and subsidies. There is long list of subsidies that make the building of that wind farm possible but that is not where it ends. Power distributors are under mandates from the state to provide X percentage of renewable energy. That wind farm is generating a renewable energy credit which is just a piece of paper that says it's renewable. They are either selling that power at an exorbitant rate with the credit to the distributor or selling the credit itself possibly to some power distributor in another state that needs to meet mandates. Those costs are passed onto regular ratepayers.

If you want a real world example that wind farm in Mass. that made the news years ago started out with contract for 18 cents per kWh with 2.5% increase each year for 15 years. It will be about 30 cents per kWh when it's all said a done. They can sell it for that much becsue the distributor is under mandate to provide it. These are wholesale rates, they aren't retail. Wholesale electric rates generated from coal or natural gas is about 3 or 4 cents and there isn't solar installation that is even remotely close to that cost when all costs are considered.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And here ladies and gentlement is the problem with the left..

Cant help the poor people save money and conserve energy because that might actually help someone who isnt so poor..

btw, I've had tenants have the government provide them with new furnaces, window air conditioners, replacement of hot water tanks, and yes, even new windows..

The areas with mandated energy efficiency requirements are helping poor people save money and conserve energy, while requiring the owner (who enjoys the value of the property improvement) to pay for the improvement.

Who are these tenants of whom you speak? Families? I've never heard of poor unrelated people in shared rental housing getting any of those goodies from government.

In Portland, developers are falling over themselves building hyper-efficient apartment towers at LEED standards. So a lot of landlords are buying into it.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I rent, so I can't put up solar panels. But I do get my electricity from a local wind farm. Also a nice, cheap, clean energy source.
I'm noticing a pattern with you guys all on the left..

Most of you rent, and really have no idea of the cost of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies