Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:34 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
If the listing was in English I would leave a message. Is it really that hard to understand that a person might communicate only in English but may communicate in their personal life in Spanish.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 01:05 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I found an interesting power/jump start box on craigslist; just the kind I have been looking for. No air pump, no lights, no radio, just a battery pack with a built in inverter, and jumper cables.
So, of course, I called on it.
The phone range 5 times, then went to voice mail. After a lengthy dissertation in what I think was Spanish, the beep sounded.
I hung up.
What would you have done?
I probably would have left my name and number in English as others have stated, but, if the fact that the message was left in Spanish is so apparently upsetting to RR, I would hope that you would just let it go. No harm, no foul. What's the worst that can happen: The Craigslist poster (potentially) loses a sale, and you don't get an "interesting power/jump start box on cragislist." If I really wanted the item and if that didn't work, I would have left a message in Spanish, too, because I know how to, and then that would be a potential win-win.

However, the fact that the Craigslist poster wrote the original message in English leads me to believe that he or she is perfectly capable of comprehending spoken English regardless of his or her voicemail message. Maybe most of his or her friends or family members are Spanish speakers and thus he or she has not tailored her voicemail with the tender sensibilities of RR in mind. Think about it; he or she could just be a native Spanish speaker who never imagined that any personal linguistic voicemail choices would come to bear on a P&OC discussion board.

Who cares, though, really. Is this seriously something worthy of any kind of upset?

Old 07-08-2015, 06:26 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
A few months ago I saw a Criagslist listing for a motorcycle that I was interested in but the entire add was in Spanish. I did a "Google" Spanish to English translation to get the gist of the add and then replied with a message stating that I had more questions and I didn't speak Spanish so could they please reply in English. I heard nothing back. So I moved on. Their loss.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Since I am so obviously wrong in my attitude, Moderator please close this thread.
My attitude has not changed. If one wants to do business in an American English speaking community, it behooves one to speak English. For all I know, the foreign language dissertation was instructions on how to perform an obscene act on a perambulating pastry.
Of course, it probably wasn't, but I have no way to tell.
The times, they-are-a-chang'n and it will make for unnecessary stress for you if you choose not to adapt.

U.S. is the No. 2 Spanish-Speaking Country in the World - KULR-8 Television, Billings, MT

Montana Hispanic or Latino Origin Population Percentage by County

In short; your opportunities to get all bitter and twisted are going to increase exponentially.....your choice is to compromise or heat up your bile ducts and carry a mega-bottle of TUMS ULTRA.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:09 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
For a while in high school and college, my voicemail was in either Spanish, French, or Icelandic. None are my first language. None are languages anyone in my family has ever spoken. Glad to know that it potentially ran off some real bozos.

The OP sounds like the little old lady who once told me to "Go back to Mexico" when I was having a private conversation on my phone with a friend (who happened to be another America) as we prepared for our AP Spanish literature exams. Being an American is no excuse to be ignorant to world languages. To be a truly educated person, you must be at least bilingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies