Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:17 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Spanish speaking does not equal "not white." It doesn't equal "brown," or "Mestizo." It doesn't equal "black" or even "mixed," though mixed people are more common in South America.
I'm just quoting what Joe Biden said in 2014, he did not specify what language anyone spoke, he was just thrilled that whites will be a minority in 2017.

So take it up with him, he's the one obsessed with skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:12 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And we have six times as many English speakers than England
We're traditionally an English speaking nation though. The fact that we're now the second largest Spanish speaking country is pretty significant IMO.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:25 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
We are now the second-largest Spanish speaking country in the world, second only to Mexico.

More Spanish speakers in U.S. than Spain, report finds - CNN.com

Note that this study includes those have varying degrees of competency per the report (which is in Spanish, FYI). They didn't really specify what level non-native speakers needed to have.

http://eldiae.es/wp-content/uploads/...viva_20151.pdf
Cool.

Now let's go for some more French and Irish Gaelic. I love the sound of both those languages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
US and Mexican Spanish speakers laugh at the lispy Spanish Spanish accent.
Eh, yeah. But having a "pleasing sound" is totally subjective. I'm not a native Spanish speaker, but I can clearly hear the different dialects most of the time. I actually love the sound of "Spain Spanish" and also the Spanish of Argentina. Very musical.

I think Mexican Spanish is okay, as far as sound, although I don't like the warp speed they usually speak. Mexican Spanish as spoken by, say, a city dweller of Mexico City is rather neutral. My least favorite Spanish sounds come from the Caribbean.

Now, now... before anyone jumps me, I think my own dialect of English is totally ugly compared to Scotland, Ireland (especially! Love their speech in English and Irish), and England.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:58 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
We're traditionally an English speaking nation though. The fact that we're now the second largest Spanish speaking country is pretty significant IMO.
Significant to what? That we have millions of illegal alien Spanish speakers in this country and/or Hispanics aren't linguistically assimilating into our country as we are constantly being told they are?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
It seems that shameless racism has grown more common on the internet in the last few years.

It's very sad.
Spanish ain't a race and, white supremacy IS a problem in LatAm.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Why not? Spanish speakers tend to be family oriented/family values Christians - we need them to counter the Muslim hordes.
Muslims CAN be banned from coming to the US; Europe's going in that direction more and more. Let Muslims scream "racism"; I'm quite sure that Christian Arabs won't agree. lol

Old 07-07-2015, 10:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
We are now the second-largest Spanish speaking country in the world, second only to Mexico.

No problemo.

[]

Old 07-07-2015, 10:10 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And we have six times as many English speakers than England
This one learned Spanish in High School. It was easier to learn than German or French, and served me well all over the world later on.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:57 AM

232 posts, read 360,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
It seems that shameless racism has grown more common on the internet in the last few years.

It's very sad.
Taking anything seriously on the Internet is a bit dull...

This is the Internet...

Old 07-08-2015, 03:15 AM

493 posts, read 514,838 times
Quote:
Why not? Spanish speakers tend to be family oriented/family values Christians - we need them to counter the Muslim hordes.
Either you live in an alternate universe or you don't live in the United States, because I can assure you there are not "hordes" of Muslims in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies