Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I grew up in the south kiddo, I am well aware of what the Confederate flag represents. I don't buy this PC crap that it represents southern heritage, unless you mean southern heritage for the support of slavery.
No, you're well aware of what your parents told you to believe when they gave you "the talk." You've been brainwashed. Your parents did you a terrible disservice. I hope your kids are not as unfortunate, but we all know that they'll get "the talk" as well.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
And long after the conservatives took over political power in South Carolina, that flag stayed up. In fact the opposition to removing the flag came all from conservatives. Fact
Democrats at the time and all the way back to the Civil War WERE the conservatives. The parties only really switched on this in recent decades. Most of the Southern Democrats would be Republicans in today's political climate. The guy saying that Democrats put it up and Republicans took it down is just ignoring the political makeup of those parties at each point in time.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Democrats at the time and all the way back to the Civil War WERE the conservatives. The parties only really switched on this in recent decades. Most of the Southern Democrats would be Republicans in today's political climate. The guy saying that Democrats put it up and Republicans took it down is just ignoring the political makeup of those parties at each point in time.
correct which is the point I made.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Because he fought for a group of states under the belief that black people were less human than whites and that they should be treated no better than barn animals. You can celebrate that if you like, but no one else is under any obligation to call him a good man deserving of honor.
Your ignorance is on full display. Approximately 27 percent of North Carolinian farmsteads had slaves. That means roughly 73% of families had no slaves. Therefore you are NOT in a position to assert that those without slaves, including my great uncle, were fighting for slavery. The states rights argument is legitimate, and therefore there's no way for you to discern individual reasoning for fighting.

Face it....you're an ignorant product of the whitewashed textbook generation. You know nothing of southern heritage. I have no desire to debate someone who has nothing to contribute beyond the demagoguery.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
So these 9 folks died and that was used to get a piece of cloth off a memorial on state property. Shame something more meaningful wasn't done during the emotional upheaval following the deaths to help reduce the odds of something so hideous from happening again. Some concrete actions towards mental health efficiency and reducing gun access to unstable individuals would have made sense.

Seems like a hollow victory for the loss of those folks.
Americans will never support the two more important issues here... addressing guns and mental health, so they'll go after something else. In this case, it was a symbol that never should've still been flying.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:55 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The fact of the matter is that you folks simply cannot accept that there are real and legitimate reasons for people to celebrate southern heritage, including those who fought and died for the Confederacy in the Civil War.
It's a fact that sometimes people - some of them undoubtedly good people - fight and die for a bad cause. That's nothing to celebrate.

Pity for the victims, regret for the lives wasted, reflection on their decisions and their fate to make sure that every time we consider going to war, it's for a proper cause - absolutely. Celebration, not so much.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
You have no idea why my Uncle chose to fight in the war. You are not in a position to judge his decision to participate. It makes you look like an idiot to cast these aspersions, but clearly you're not intellectually inclined to understand that. I'm not surprised, as you are part of the brainwashed generation and thus you know no different.
He may have been conflicted about it, but not enough to not join the fight. Every state seceded for a reason, and it was plainly stated what that reason was: the ability to keep slavery going without interference. He could've told himself it was in the protection of his state, his family, whatever, but the reality is clear. Sorry that this goes against what you've probably been told all your life, that your relatives who fought were all heroes and such, but heroes don't fight to treat people like animals. He deserves no honor.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
All that was accomplished was to create more division and make more enemies by doing this.
I think only narrow minded people would agree with this. The flag flew from 1962 to stick it to the federal government and a denial of an important segment of the state's population. Simply tyranny of the majority. You should think of the BIG picture and what is right. From here on, South Carolina puts a foot forward. I have always taught of the state in a negative way. Now I can start to see it differently.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Your ignorance is on full display. Approximately 27 percent of North Carolinian farmsteads had slaves. That means roughly 73% of families had no slaves. Therefore you are NOT in a position to assert that those without slaves, including my great uncle, were fighting for slavery. The states rights argument is legitimate, and therefore there's no way for you to discern individual reasoning for fighting.

Face it....you're an ignorant product of the whitewashed textbook generation. You know nothing of southern heritage. I have no desire to debate someone who has nothing to contribute beyond the demagoguery.
You're not getting it. It doesn't matter whether or not they had slaves. If they went to war for the Confederacy, the institution of slavery was what they were going to war to protect.

All of the states specifically cited the ability to keep slaves as the dominant reason to secede. You're rewriting history, but their words and documents still exist. I worry what kind of education you guys are getting in the South.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's a fact that sometimes people - some of them undoubtedly good people - fight and die for a bad cause. That's nothing to celebrate.

Pity for the victims, regret for the lives wasted, reflection on their decisions and their fate to make sure that every time we consider going to war, it's for a proper cause - absolutely. Celebration, not so much.
The basic argument that they are making is irrelevant and phony.

The fact is we don't say how do we know that Germany wanted to exterminate Jewish people because not every German soldier hated Jewish people or killed Jewish people.

It's a phony understanding of history.

The motivations of soldiers in any war are never really known.

So we always judge the motivations of the warring sides based on the rhetoric of the political and military leadership of those sides.

This requirement that we prove that every confederate soldier supported slavery is phony bs a distraction that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The confederate army was led by politicians and military leaders who said why they fought that war, and it was to expand slavery into new territories and keep black Americans in bondage.

So the confederate soldiers fought for slavery because that's why the leaders of the confederacy said they fought, this is the same standard of motivation applied to every soldier in every other war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies