Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
Yes I've learnt to live with it as well but its frustrating as hell at times...

BTW...I do love the old geezers in general.
You can test me, take my license, take away my keys, sell my car. As long I have the money to buy another car and pay the fines and can physically drive, I'll be on the road when I want to. You had best get used to me driving.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:57 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
I've been saying for years that the minimum voting age should be 65. So not only should their driver's licenses NOT be taken away, the youngsters should be kissing their backsides to get them to vote the way they want them too.

I would love the wisdom of people who have lived an entire life to guide the course of the country.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:59 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
My grandfather drove until he passed away at 95. The DMV refused to issue him a license. They threatened him with jail if they caught him driving. His attitude was, let them. Then call the media and tell them that the county has a 95 year old man locked up. He drove without a license for years, received several citations and never paid a single one.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:07 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,110,898 times
Oh boy, this thread has hit some raw nerves. Just shows you the demographics of these forums here, which in turn explain some of the views expressed in the various forums.

At any rate, it is silly to revoke a driver's license at a preset age. Most independent elderlies need a vehicle to go anywhere, to get groceries, see family and friends, visit doctors, so on. It's their lifeline. You can't take that away unless there is a compelling safety reason to.

I am not opposed to a less-than-comprehensive driving test every few years after a certain age, just to ensure their competence and basic safe awareness. But it shouldn't be more than an examiner just tagging along for a drive. And a vision test update.

Mick

Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
Listen i'm not trying to pick on grandpa & grandma but as I stated in a previous post.

I do not have a regular 9-5 job. I work for myself and thru out the day i'm constantly driving from one job to another. Try getting stuck behind ol slow gramps and drive time could double. You know the old saying "TIME IS MONEY"
ok, should we put a restriction on when it can rain cause rain slows down traffic and you have to get to work? For heavens sake, don't you realize what you are saying? Just to make you happy, you want older people or anyone that gets in your way to get off the road or whatever else they need to do, so you can get what you want. Again, it has nothing to do with 9 to 5 or working for yourself making house calls. Maybe you need to space your calls further apart? BTW I find it almost impossible to believe driving time would double. Either you are on a 4 lane highway (2 lanes each direction) which allows you to pass or you are on 2 lane roads and that would not be long enough to double your time, unless you are talking about 5 min versus 10?

Let me ask you again, it seems you do not want to answer unless i have mised it here: how old is too old and who decides when grandma and grandpa need to get off the road to make you happy? Has it dawned on you, someday you will be that grandpa and do you really think you are going to stop driving cause someone wants you to stop interfering with his driving time? I can tell you right now: the answer is NO and yes, it will happen to you, unless you end up killing yourself because you are speeding.

Oh and as a few have said; how much time are you willing to donate to driving them to their activities or should they just stay in their houses and rot away? You say you really do love these old people, you are just annoyed by them: if you really did respect and love them you would show compassion and understanding.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-12-2015 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What one fails to comprehend is why "seniors" who drive always must have those boat sized cars or worse SUV that they barely are able to control. It is often like watching Mr. Magoo drive with often equally disastrous results.

At least once per week on average here in the NYC area there is a news report of an older driver "losing control" of their vehicle causing major bodily harm and or property damage as a result.

Husband crashes car into house, kills wife | New York Post

Car crashes into New York supermarket injuring 5 shoppers | Daily Mail Online

Joseph Saccente, Long Island Cab Driver, Dead After Crashing Into Home « CBS New York
Oh my, at least once a week an elderly person in overcrowded NYC loses control, and what about the reports of teens or people drinking losing control? Don't you think that happens much more often than the occassional older person losing control? I am not a lover of SUVs but it isn't only grandma and grandad who drive them. Plus you say, at least once a week there is a report about seniors but the examples you are giving are certainly not a once a week occurrance; one is 9 years old.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Should A Drivers License Be Revoked When One Reaches A Certain Age

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
After a certain age, driver's road tests should be mandatory annually. Not sure when that should kick in; maybe around 75 to 80. Older drivers are statistically the safest drivers on the road. They may drive slower than you like, but they probably are in fewer accidents than your age group. However, when they become quite elderly, they need to be tested frequently to weed out those among them are becoming dangers to public safety due to failing eyesight, etc.
That sounds okay to me. I don't want to be the cause of an accident because I can't see properly to drive. But at this point in my life - I'm 63 - I get my eyes checked every year. I have no problem with taking a road test.

On the other hand, "being old" is way down on the list of causes of traffic accidents. The top reason is speeding ... people in a hurry to get to work or whatever, maybe running late and trying to "make up time" by putting their lives and everyone else's at risk ... and maybe they're talking on the phone, or eating, or drinking, or reaching to crank up the volume on a favorite tune.

I live in the country. Most roads have one lane in each direction, with passing zones clearly marked. When I feel that it's safe to do so, I drive at the speed limit plus five ... if the speed limit is 45, and the weather & road & traffic conditions permit, I do 50. If I come up behind a vehicle going a lot slower than I am, I wait - at a safe distance - until I can safely pass, and then I do so. For people in a big ass hurry who come up behind me and tailgate in an attempt to force me to pull over, they can wait until it's safe to pass.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:13 PM

324 posts, read 270,877 times
I think driving tests should be re-administered for every license holder every time they have to renew. I will include CDL holders in this as well. Sooner if there is a laundry list of tickets and summons.

We all pick up nasty habits. We tend without thinking to use these nasty habits which our children pick up on. Then the cycle continues. After all if Dad serves from the left lane to the exit ramp at 70 mph it's ok for kiddo do do it.... often without looking.

Big rig drivers are getting just as bad....

And I have a CDL A/M so I can speak on commercial license holders bad habits.... I've seen them!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:26 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,848,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Ha.

As a senior with a fifty-year spotless driving record, I would prefer that the minimum driving age be raised to 30 or so. That would keep the road rage adolescents from killing everyone with their insane need to get nowhere fast while texting and chugging energy drinks.

It isn't the bluehairs who are the problem. It's the tattooed skinheads with metal in their lips.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:27 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
I think driving tests should be re-administered for every license holder every time they have to renew. I will include CDL holders in this as well. Sooner if there is a laundry list of tickets and summons.

We all pick up nasty habits. We tend without thinking to use these nasty habits which our children pick up on. Then the cycle continues. After all if Dad serves from the left lane to the exit ramp at 70 mph it's ok for kiddo do do it.... often without looking.

Big rig drivers are getting just as bad....

And I have a CDL A/M so I can speak on commercial license holders bad habits.... I've seen them!

That's overkill, and as a tax payer, I'm not willing to pay for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies