Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:28 AM

80 posts, read 61,412 times

Advertisements

Lately I've noticed in my area that more and more seniors are driving. It just drives me insane they drive at a snail's pace causing massive traffic jams. I'm constantly feeling road rage going to work and i'm an easy going and laid back type of individual. Grandpa & Grandma please stay home or take a nice walk before I run you off the road.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:37 AM

11,989 posts, read 5,258,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
Lately I've noticed in my area that more and more seniors are driving. It just drives me insane they drive at a snail's pace causing massive traffic jams. I'm constantly feeling road rage going to work and i'm an easy going and laid back type of individual. Grandpa & Grandma please stay home or take a nice walk before I run you off the road.
After a certain age, driver's road tests should be mandatory annually. Not sure when that should kick in; maybe around 75 to 80. Older drivers are statistically the safest drivers on the road. They may drive slower than you like, but they probably are in fewer accidents than your age group. However, when they become quite elderly, they need to be tested frequently to weed out those among them are becoming dangers to public safety due to failing eyesight, etc.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:40 AM

45,103 posts, read 26,262,470 times
Quote:
Look at the bright side, you'll be a puttering mummy yourself one day.

There should be no age limit on drivers licenses.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,270,287 times
Ha.

As a senior with a fifty-year spotless driving record, I would prefer that the minimum driving age be raised to 30 or so. That would keep the road rage adolescents from killing everyone with their insane need to get nowhere fast while texting and chugging energy drinks.

It isn't the bluehairs who are the problem. It's the tattooed skinheads with metal in their lips.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:42 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,788,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
After a certain age, driver's road tests should be mandatory annually. Not sure when that should kick in; maybe around 75 to 80. Older drivers are statistically the safest drivers on the road. They may drive slower than you like, but they probably are in fewer accidents than your age group. However, when they become quite elderly, they need to be tested frequently to weed out those among them are becoming dangers to public safety due to failing eyesight, etc.
Old drivers are actually the second most likely age group to be in accidents after teenagers.

I would also bet if you control for miles traveled the rate for senior accidents would jump dramatically compared to other drivers.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:46 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,233,866 times
Quote:
At 71 I still drive the speed limit, including 65 -70 on the Interstates. When are you going to kick me of the road?

I hope you never get old. Your road rage is likely to cause more accidents than a slower driver. Get off the road if you can't control your rage.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Welcome to AmeriKa. Are you and Obama voter?

We have young kids around here that are more dangerous than any seniors, and their beat up cars prove it.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:51 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,649,593 times
Quote:
I think some drivers are better at age 80 then other drivers at age 30.

They should just give paintball guns to good drivers like me. I never get in accidents or get traffic citations, and I drive 30,000 miles a year. This way we can shoot the cars of bad drivers to help identify them for the police, so they can pull over bad drivers with too many paintball splats, and suspend or revoke their licenses.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:53 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,051,066 times
Geezer here (65). Yes, raise the minimum age to 30.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Ha.

As a senior with a fifty-year spotless driving record, I would prefer that the minimum driving age be raised to 30 or so. That would keep the road rage adolescents from killing everyone with their insane need to get nowhere fast while texting and chugging energy drinks.

It isn't the bluehairs who are the problem. It's the tattooed skinheads with metal in their lips.
I agree. I haven't had a moving violation since I was 25 years old. I only had two then. One was going 75 in a 65 zone (freeway, mind you) in Paso Robles on my way to San Francisco while in the Navy. The other (which I was not cited for) was making a left turn without giving the guy oncoming sufficient space (i.e., I cut him off). I have had nothing since. I'm 71.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies