Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Progessives? Surely you jest. High school children who can't attend their prom bc they're black in this day and time. Let the war be offer.

Where is this happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
High school children who can't attend their prom bc they're black in this day and time.
Where exactly is this happening?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:31 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Where exactly is this happening?
Mississippi, and thats just one place where the documentary were filmed. Its a complete injustice.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well, when this country was re-unified those who fought on the Confederate side dead or alive again became Americans did they not? Those soldiers deserve as much recognition as those who fought on the Union side of the war. And considering there were instances that families were torn apart over this war sometimes pitted brother against brother.... Sorry, but we need to cut the bulls**** of erasing parts of our history that we don't like in the name of PC. You say the war is still fought by many in the deep south, and yet progressives seem to also be fighting that same war, and trying to guilt trip us for the sins of some long dead folks.

Wanted to say that I agree with this.

I am a black American but I am very interested in history and I don't think we should willy-nilly change the names of parks and such.

Confederate were and then became Americans again and many self proclaimed "Confederates" also took care of many Union graves and ensured that they had honorable cemeteries and places of rest in the south. The poster above is correct in that many American families were torn apart by this conflict and the effects were deeply felt and devastating for Americans in general immediately prior to and after the war.

I personally don't see why they would want to change the names of the parks right now. I will be honest and state that in many ways I think that many liberally minded PC white Americans along with guilt ridden conservatives after this SC shooting are trying to "prove" how they aren't racist by trying to remove the confederacy and side with black political figures on this issue. I can understand them taking down the flag in SC from the capital building, as that is something that blacks in particular in SC and including Clementa Pinckney who was killed, lobbied to occur. I can understand them doing it in his memory. But in places not associated with SC, it makes no sense IMO. Getting rid of the confederate history will do nothing to curtail the systematic racism still alive in our country. The confederates are long dead, many, including Nathan Bedford Forest, whose monument they want to remove/move actually changed course in regards to their racist leanings and were less racist and more concillatory after Reconstruction.

And FWIW, there is still a "Confederate Memorial Day" in the south, my husband got that day off of work every year when we lived in GA. I have always thought that this was unnecessary due to what the poster above mentioned, the Confederates were Americans before and after the war, so we should place wreaths and remember them on regular "Memorial Day" in May. But removing it won't heal a racial wound and is no proof of how less racist someone or society is IMO just like removing statues or re-naming parks isn't anything worthy of praise.

ETA: I read another article that they want to remove Nathan Bedford Forest's grave from the park where he currently rests. I think that that is pretty appalling and unncessary as well. Also the cost of the removal and reburial will be felt by Memphis and the state of TN. If they want to waste money moving him, then so be it, but IMO it is silly and unnecessary. TN does have a confederate past. It would be good IMO to use these parks and monuments as teaching tools instead of seeing them as somehow shameful.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:00 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Make the city great and the names of parks wont matter. How fitting would it be to have a great mostly black city with parks named after long gone "racist" where black children now play? I guess it's easier to focus on the race stuff instead of the making the city great stuff.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 AM

Reposting for those who haven't read the article....

Lets support the KKK and keep it alive and well

Nathan Bedford Forrest Park - named for a Confederate general who was a slaveholder before the war and afterward was the first Ku Klux Klan grand wizard - now is Health Sciences Park, so named because it is located in the busy hospital and healthcare core of the city. Forrest is buried at the park.

Memphis' Confederate Parks Renamed: City Drops 3 Names That Honor Racist Past[/quote]

Old 07-13-2015, 08:08 AM

Get up to date....

Cosby was banned months ago, he doesn't even get recognition or residuals from shows in his home town in Phila.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Get up to date....

Cosby was banned months ago, he doesn't even get recognition or residuals from shows in his home town in Phila.
How many people sit around watching "The Cosby Show" or "Dukes of Hazzard" re-runs in 2015 anyway?

You would think "Dukes of Hazzard" was one of the most honored and feted TV shows of all time, given reactions over the past couple weeks. Right up there with MASH, Seinfeld, Cheers, and All in the Family, I guess.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Memphis is 65% black so I understand the motivation. But as the center of a metropolitan area that is majority white, their actions may further separate them from the white suburbs and make it less likely they'll be visited....which is their prerogative...I see a southern Detroit possibility in Memphis.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
How many people sit around watching "The Cosby Show" or "Dukes of Hazzard" re-runs in 2015 anyway?

You would think "Dukes of Hazzard" was one of the most honored and feted TV shows of all time, given reactions over the past couple weeks. Right up there with MASH, Seinfeld, Cheers, and All in the Family, I guess.
How do you compare Dukes of Hazzard with Dr Huxtable serial rapist ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies