Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Guess it depends on which year you look at because the previous year he was ranked at 55% and the following year he was ranked at 20%, so much for cherrypicking, but nice try. It still doesn't help your case because technically West Virginia would classify as a northern state therefore make Byrd a northern Democrat. One that I would hardly say represented all of the Democrats, north or south.

Something for you to read.
Byrd was not a northern democrat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Democrats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 10:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Byrd was not a northern democrat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Democrats
Well it is good to know wikipedia considers him to be a Southern Democrat, even though West Virginia was a part of the North after seceding from the rest of the state of Virginia in the Civil War....regardless, I can't tell you why the idiots in West Virginia kept reelecting Byrd.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:08 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You see this meme come up time and time again. In the recent thread by Trace, no less than 3 liberal posters said that the Democratic segregationists were conservatives. This is a myth.

In her excellent book Mugged: racial demagoguery from the seventies to Obama, Ann Coulter
This is where I stopped reading.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Oh geez, I missed the Ann Coulter part, if there is a heaven and hell, that woman is a descendant of a demon from hell and probably should be sent back to where she came from.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:14 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
You just heard of the term Blue Dog? Heck, the coalition for the Blue Dogs was formed in 1995, it even has a Wikipedia page, was your Google broken?

Byrd is whatever right wingers want Byrd to be, personally I don't care, idiots in West Virginia kept electing him.
This. I started reading about Blue Dog Dems when I moved to TX in 1998; this is not a new thing. These arguments are to a large extent pointless because as labels, party affiliations and "liberal" and "conservative" have been so overladen with meaning and over-determined as to become almost meaningless. Did Dixiecrats in the 1950s and 1960s want to "conserve" the so-called southern way of life and thus behaved as social conservatives? Certainly--read McMillen's The Citizens' Council if you have any doubt of that. Did they at the same time pursue graft for their states? Of course; what else would one do as elected officials of relatively poor states? Theodore Bilbo is a prime early example of that in MS; he was wildly popular in the poorest parts of white MS for decades through 1947 when he died in Poplarville in the Pine Belt region, though he was a rabid race-baiter. (See Redneck Liberal or his own Take Your Choice for more. Did they defect en masse for the Republican Party in the 1960s? You can't really make the argument that they did not with a straight face; just look at Strom Thurmond's 1957 and 1964 filibuster efforts and subsequent move to the Republican camp and then at Trent Lott's career as a MS Rep and Sen.

The same Eisenhower-sponsored big-government programs that underwrote, say, the Interstate highway system benefited rural states just as much and arguably more than their urban counterparts, as did (and do) agricultural subsidies.

The reality of shifting southern and northern and racial dynamics is and was much more complicated in terms of party affiliation and relative levels of what we now might label "conservative" or "liberal" positions than parts of this conversation would suggest. Wouldn't it serve us better to move beyond historical quibbling, labeling, and name-calling, and to talk about solutions to problems we face us as a shared society? Wouldn't it be better to think about what best benefits our polity in terms of policy and not childish points-scored antics? If we're all always trying to claim the moral and intellectual high ground, then we are all stranded.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:23 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
What democrats in 2015 are denying that democrats used to be segregationist, pro-slavery or were the party of the KKK?? What democrats are saying is that the parties switched after the civil rights movement.
What I said is that Democrats in 2015 often claim that the segregationist Democrats of the 50's-60's era were conservative. If you doubt that, read through the thread by Trace. There are at least 3 instances of it in the thread.

Should the Democrat Party Make a Public Apology to African Americans for Its Historic Role in Oppressing Blacks?

As I stated in post#1, there were a small number of Democratic segregationists who could be called conservative, but the overwhelming majority were statist, pro-tax-and-spenders, or in today's vernacular, liberals.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Ad hominem logical fallacy.
Fallacy: Ad Hominem

Old 07-13-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Oh geez, I missed the Ann Coulter part, if there is a heaven and hell, that woman is a descendant of a demon from hell and probably should be sent back to where she came from.
And the fabricated quote, another favorite tactic from the left.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yes. But we managed to rid the party of segregationists and took a stand against racism . The republican base needs to consider a similar shift in policy.
So which current Republicans would you consider as segregationist?

Old 07-13-2015, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
As far as the Confederate flag goes, the Democrats put it up, and the Republicans took it down. That is a historical fact that no honest person will try to deny.
Very well put. And in fact it was Sen. Fritz Hollings (D, SC) one of the people on my list in post #1, who was instrumental in putting the flag up at that SC Capitol building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies