Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 02:11 PM

1,136 posts, read 922,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And lining pockets of those who will use all of this faux outrage to profit from it. What you're going to have happen is folks who otherwise didn't give to s***s about the flag seeking to obtain one just to protest the collectivists protests!

I don't care. I see that as a positive. I view using your money as a way to show support or dismay of a company or a cause as a very good form of activism. If people want to spend money supporting the confederacy go ahead. No skin off my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 03:01 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Is this happening because a guy shot up 9 people in a church?

Or is the church shooting the latest crisis that power hungry liberal elites are using to show their power over others?

I go back to this thread that I started... I don't think really care about this stuff, they are looking at their own power to change things.
There have been many previous failed efforts to replace the State Song. This time the effort might succeed.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I have ancestors who died fighting on both the southern and 'northern scum' sides, and i disagree that it should be changed.
Do you live in Maryland?

I don't.

I think it is up to Marylanders to decide what their state song should be.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:11 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Do you live in Maryland?
yup.

Quote:
I think it is up to Marylanders to decide what their state song should be.
me too. not some mealy-mouthed politician.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:38 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
Something by Ted Nugent?

Old 07-13-2015, 06:30 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
These libs need to stop trying to change history. Our state song is a part of that and people should learn it as it was written in a time of division. It was a call to leave the Union. It mentions "recent" hostilities that took place just before it was written. It brings up some of MD's history and places. It is part of what this state is. That part of history should not be forgotten.

Yes, it might be to the tune of "oh Cristmas Tree" or whatever but when seeing the words it is a bad ass poem/song. Leave it alone.

People in this country need to lighten up and stop getting offended by every little thing. It's getting pretty Effing ridicules!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Just read the lyrics of this song and do not see where it says "northern scum."

Oh wait, I found it in the last verse.

Quote:
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! she spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! she burns! she'll come! she'll come!
Maryland! My Maryland!
That is kind of a weird state song to begin with.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We should tear down the monument to slaveholder Washington.
Tear down a monument dedicated to the Father of our nation?? Yeah right, I don't care how many slaves he owned.

Don't be a troll.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Sheesh, this really has turned into a witch hunt. This whole seek and destroy anything that has anything remotely resembling anything with reference go the Confederacy is frighteningly close, if not worse, that the Mc Carthy era. I think I'm really starting to understand what motivates the IRA in their feelings about the English.

This "movement" to erase all vestiges of the Confederacy from our history , truly, is scary. What's next? Removal of any recognition of the Confederate dead at places like Gettysburg and Antietam? Anyone who has anscesgors who fought for the CSA being put on a watcblist and maybe be forced to wear a big , red "C" . Or maybe an "R" would be better? Banning historical reenactments of the Civil War and the same for Living History events? Only for people who portray Confederates, of course.

This is getting out of hand. So many people looking for something to be "offended" over. Lots of things that offend me are rubbed in mg face every day, and I just let it roll off. Nothing I can say or do will make these things just magicly vanish, if anything, speaking up would just make it worse. Free expression and all, being what it is. This Confederate hatred, Southern hatred really, is downright wrong. Is this still America?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:12 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There have been many previous failed efforts to replace the State Song. This time the effort might succeed.
Why did the other attempts fail if the song was so terrible? What changed? It's still the same song, right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies