Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:13 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

I just watched about the most gut-wrenching video I've ever seen. The Nubian Tribes, apparently Christian, live in the Nubian Mountains of Sudan. A news article (link to article) with incorporated video(link to video) details the atrocities. The government has been bombing to prevent the delivery of vaccines and medical supplies. The government has been randomly bombing and strafing the people so that they regularly flee into caves to avoid dismemberment.

Why is one New York Times reporter the only one taking up the outcry? Worse, where's the U.N. on this? They're sending only a trickle of vaccines in since Sudan doesn't want these people vaccinated. This is ethnic cleansing and apartheid.

Where's the outrage? Where's the U.N. on all of this? Is Goldstone going to be sent out to do another commission report?

Old 07-13-2015, 09:22 PM

714 posts, read 356,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I just watched about the most gut-wrenching video I've ever seen. The Nubian Tribes, apparently Christian, live in the Nubian Mountains of Sudan. A news article (link to article) with incorporated video(link to video) details the atrocities. The government has been bombing to prevent the delivery of vaccines and medical supplies. The government has been randomly bombing and strafing the people so that they regularly flee into caves to avoid dismemberment.

Why is one New York Times reporter the only one taking up the outcry? Worse, where's the U.N. on this? They're sending only a trickle of vaccines in since Sudan doesn't want these people vaccinated. This is ethnic cleansing and apartheid.

Where's the outrage? Where's the U.N. on all of this? Is Goldstone going to be sent out to do another commission report?
Silly, don't you know the answer to your question?
Where's the UN???? Nowhere. Because they can't pin it on Israel!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:44 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I'm going to preface my comments by saying 2 things. First. I'm no expert on Africa. Second, back in the mid-1960s, my family hosted a Kenyan exchange student to Cornell. What a wonderful young man he was. He was a truly noted long distance runner at the time, and although it was more than half a century ago, you can still find information about that aspect of his life on the internet. Over the years, we lost track of him, but I do know that he did one thing that he wanted -- he returned to Kenya to work to improve life in his country, in his case, through modern agriculture. In the short term, he was successful; he became involved in agricultural research and implementation across multiple African nations. But in the long run, all his work has failed as Kenya, and Africa in general, has not progressed, but if anything has regressed.

In my view, and again, I'm no expert on Africa, it comes down (at least in many countries and regions) to extreme tribalism.

Africa is the richest continent in terms of natural resources, yet the poorest continent in terms of human living conditions. And, IMHO, Africa cannot blame it on exploitation by the outside world, because with the exception of the slavery era and the colonial period (both of which have long been pretty much over), not much exploitation has occurred (not saying there hasn't been any, but what there has been is not THE problem). There are problems all over the world and on every continent, but the problems in Africa seem monumental to the point that I don't think anyone really knows where to even start helping...at least in terms of fixing anything long-term. Anything that "we" could do would be like a drop of water in the Sahara Desert.

To me, Africa needs to start doing some things for "itself" before I would be willing to spend any resources trying to help, which will only be flushed down a ever spiraling toilet.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:49 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
They're black.

They ain't got no oil.

Therefore The West don't care.

I ain't saying it's right. I'm just saying it's a fact.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
Silly, don't you know the answer to your question?
Where's the UN???? Nowhere. Because they can't pin it on Israel!
You got that right! I'd amend it by saying "Israel or the U.S."

Old 07-13-2015, 11:25 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
We used up the next 3 months worth of national outrage on a flag. None left for real issues.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
You got that right! I'd amend it by saying "Israel or the U.S."
It is Israel's fault because Jesus was born there, and Sudan wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Jerusalem plus Palestine is approx. 1,000 miles away so the people of Sudan can see the missiles coming. See, it is Israel's fault.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We used up the next 3 months worth of national outrage on a flag. None left for real issues.
This would actually be funny if it weren't so sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
It is Israel's fault because Jesus was born there, and Sudan wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Jerusalem plus Palestine is approx. 1,000 miles away so the people of Sudan can see the missiles coming. See, it is Israel's fault.
True that. Plus never forget the impact and degradation caused by slave traders (oops the other side of the continent) and apartheid (even more geographically distant).

Old 07-13-2015, 11:41 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
This would actually be funny if it weren't so sad.
True that. Plus never forget the impact and degradation caused by slave traders (oops the other side of the continent) and apartheid (even more geographically distant).
Exactly! Plus Israel wants to take over the whole Middle East, yes, they're amongst the smallest countries geographically speaking, but mark my words: they want to take over the globe! *running down the street with my shirt off* Plus Israel is completely responsible for all poverty being suffered in a billion mile radius of Sudan.. So yeah, I think the UN should condem Israel and the U.S. should invade Israel before they take us over.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
The United Nations does not own selective outrage we need to look in the mirror
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies