Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 02:17 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Do you know what you're talking about?

Your "suitcase nuke" has a max yield of 0.01 kt.

Let's see, Iran attacks with 0.01 kt and the US retaliates with 10 ALCMs at 100 kt each.

1,000.00 kt
- 0.01 kt
-------------
999.99 kt net difference

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Mircea
Actually tested suitcase nukes have a yield of a tad under .2 kilotons. 20X larger then Mircea indicates. Still nothing comparatively.

In addition to what Mircea stated above, a suitcase nuke is a incredible piece of technology to get even that small yield. Something that these countries are a long long ways from. If people want to fear monger suggest a nuke detonated in a shipping container coming into a harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 02:32 PM

592 posts, read 414,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Iran wanted the sanctions lifted. They approached the Bush administration about that years ago. Why you think that makes Obama look desperate only you know.
So you think Obama negotiated this agreement to lift the sanctions.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:49 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
A few observations:

1. If President Obama doesn't solve the Mideast Dilemma, he will be following in the footsteps of Dwight Eisenhower, John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Regan, George Bush (I), Bill Clinton, and George Bush (II). Not one of those Presidents made any significant, long lasting improvements in the Middle East. Do you know why -- because it's an unsolvable, intractable problem.

2. There may be one or two of you on this forum who actually knows a fair amount about the topic. Most of you (whether or the right or left) are just regurgitating what you've heard on Fox on MSNBC or from your favorite right or left wing politician(s).

3. A negotiation's purpose (at least at this level) is to prevent war. A negotiation means that both sides walk away from table having gotten some thing(s) and having given up some thing(s). In almost all situations, the only way you get everything you wanted is to take the alternate tack -- go to war.

4. If Reagan had negotiated the same treaty, the Republicans/conservatives on the forum would be bowing down to him and singing "Hosanna on the highest". Since President Obama negotiated the treaty, most Democrat/liberals on the forum are bowing down to him and praising him.

5. If this doesn't work, we still have every weapon we have now to force the situation, as does Israel.

6. I love that the United States pretty much always wins, but that will not happen every time or forever. That's life. Real life.

7. We have a Constitutional system. It's time for step 2 of that system to work its way through the issue. And, that will help decide what United States policy is.

8. Some of you need to learn some manners.

BULLETIN: The truth lies somewhere in between.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:44 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
NONE of which should influence US foreign policy.
I agree. Israel is the second cousin who always comes around bumming for a spare $10.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
ROTFLMBO~ You mean like the 5 Arab nations of Lebanon, Syria, Iraq,Saudi Arabi and Egypt did in the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, when Israel was first given statehood, or how about the 6-day war of 1967? You remember that don't you?

Israel has never needed any help to whip all their butts!
Don't make the mistake of confusing Persians and Arabs. The Arabs and Israelis don't.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:20 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
Hmm... Interesting, what will be the prices of gas in USA if Israel will nuke Iran?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:31 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Hmm... Interesting, what will be the prices of gas in USA if Israel will nuke Iran?
The price of gas would be the least of our problems if Israel was stupid enough to nuke Iran.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The price of gas would be the least of our problems if Israel was stupid enough to nuke Iran.
I think that Americans are not understanding Israeli mentality. A nation that survived genocide can react very harsh to a grave danger.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I think that Americans are not understanding Israeli mentality. A nation that survived genocide can react very harsh to a grave danger.
Thats fine. LET THEM. But they often expect us to do it for them. Thats the issue.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
I have no idea IF this has been posted before..but after reading many posts condemning this Iran agreement..are simply unaware of the timeline and history here...Maybe reading this link may help the younger folks to catchup with just what has happened in the past 75 year+ when considering what Iran has been doing as well as the rest of the World leaders to address..Nuclear Power seeking does NOT necessarily mean Weapon Grade..Between Cold War..Nuclear Arm's reductions and so on has been going on since I was born...But let's face it..just like embargo'ing..and bashing another Country demanding capitulation to their will so to speak..doesn't work.( Cuba returning slowly to normalcy this year after half century plus of policy NOT working is a no brainer IMO)

Anyway..read this link ( for those that have no idea the history) instead of listening to rhetoric ( usually politically motivated)..in order to try and understand what's truly at stake....

I truly found this timeline informative..and given my age..had forgotten the headline of days gone by!!!!! I will never forget walking down a main street and seeing "Bomb Shelter" signs..also had a friend ( I was just a kid ) who had Bomb Shelter in their basement...I grew up thinking I would never reach adulthood..THAT's how bad it was back in the '50's and '60's!!! Young folk of today have absolutely no idea what us older folk lived thru!!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...#time243_10531
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies