Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:34 PM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

If nothing else I hope this goes all the way up to the Supreme Court where they will finally have to rule based on the intent back then that children of illegal aliens are not entitled to birthright citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Yes, "Texas" my home will always do the right thing.

Like, just now, when Governor Abbott vetoed a bill at the request of Scientologists:

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/07...l-health-bill/

This bipartisan bill would have allowed a medical doctor (like in a hospital) to 'hold' a person for up to four hours, if the doctor believed the person was a danger to himself or others*. The four hour period would have allowed investigators to arrive and make a determination. The legislators were taken by surprise by this veto, to say the least. It sailed through the two chambers, with most speaking favorably of it, and all expected Governor Abbott to sign.

*From my years of reviewing medical records, I can vouch that, sometimes, a person that is decompensating and become psychotic will, on their own volition, go to the ER. However, sometimes that person will, growing ever more agitated, will then leave the ER, with the doctor noting 'against medical advice'.

But the doctor would have no recourse but to allow the person to leave. This bill addressed that type of situation. Of course, Scientologist don't believe in 'psychotic' behavior, seemingly, or anything else connected with psychiatry.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:40 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
And for millions of undocumented workers, they too are paying.
How exactly does an illegal immigrant complete a W4 to pay taxes? I would like to know.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:41 PM

549 posts, read 456,931 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that the people who demand a strict reading of the Constitution are just as happy with judicial interpretation when convenient.

You cannot abuse nor interpret the following in any manner other than its plain wording.

Amendment XIV

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.

You strategically failed to emphasize the most critical part: "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof".

Old 07-15-2015, 05:42 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
How can answer anything but "no" when you automatically equate illegal immigrant with Mexico? Newsflash: 40% of our illegal immigrant population isn't from there.

I've never heard a peep about illegal immigrants from Asia, Eastern Europe, etc.
Umm, but if your 40% figure is true, that means 60% ARE from Mexico. While I hold no more love for the illegal immigrants from other countries than I do from Mexico, why WOULDN'T I use Mexico as my example over some other country with 3% or 1% or 0.2%?

Old 07-15-2015, 05:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Must be "Pander to Bigots" week in Texas. Oh wait, that's every week.
As opposed to "pander to criminal opportunists" week?

I'm pretty sure that's every week, nationwide.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:47 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
How can I answer anything but "no" when you automatically equate illegal immigrant with Mexico? Newsflash: 40% of our illegal immigrant population isn't from there.
Snarky "newsflashes" require sources.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
And for millions of undocumented workers, they too are paying.
They aren't undocumented workers they are illegal aliens. They never pay in enough taxes to cover their social costs. Many of them work under the table and don't pay income taxes at all.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:

All persons born or naturalizedin the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.
Is it any stretch that it means all legal persons in the US and Mexican's children are Mexican citizens and not fully subject to US jurisdiction. And worst case scenario, surely the illegal parents should have to be deported by law along with their child, citizen or not. They can send back their ill gotten citizenship child when he/she is no longer a minor.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Umm, but if your 40% figure is true, that means 60% ARE from Mexico. While I hold no more love for the illegal immigrants from other countries than I do from Mexico, why WOULDN'T I use Mexico as my example over some other country with 3% or 1% or 0.2%?
Some of that 40% number are also Mexicans who come in on a visa but don't leave when it expires. I read that they make up 20% of the visa overstayers also. That means that 80% of illegal aliens are from Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies