Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,110,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Why not follow God's word in its entirety?
Why does every liberal cherry pick from Pope Francis? Why not follow the teachings of the church in its entirety?

Old 07-15-2015, 02:17 PM

698 posts, read 585,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You're wrong. Every person who performs marriages has the right to decide if someone can and cannot be married. Dh and I had to have a lengthy conversation with the preacher who married us before he'd perform the ceremony. Someone marrying people needs to approve of the marriage to marry them. This is not a real issue though as there is most certainly someone who can in good conscience marry anyone. Take polygamy for example. There are preachers who will perform the ceremony but most will say no. If one says no, go find another one.

Christians don't reject the old testament. We consider it history. We no longer live under the law. We now live under Grace. We'd be Jewish if we still followed the old testament.
A preacher and a judge is an apples to watermelons comparison. A judge is a public employee and has to serve everyone equally. A public employee does not get to pick and choose who they will serve.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,163,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I suggest you read Acts 10. it will cure you of your ignorance on the subject of pigflesh
I suggest you read the OP and the title of this thread. It specifically says ABRAHAMIC LAW. Abraham is from the OT.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,165,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Why does every liberal cherry pick from Pope Francis? Why not follow the teachings of the church in its entirety?
The Pope is not to American Liberals what the bible is to american conservatives. When the Pope supports progressive ideals I support those statements, but at no point do any liberals claim that just because it came out of the popes mouth it must be good.

The same can't be said for the Right. If the bible says, it must be true, and good, because God said it, and everything God and Jesus say, is right. Except for all these parts I'm just gonna ignore.

Liberals don't ignore when the Pope says problematic statements, we call him on it. You'd be hard pressed to find the religious right criticizing the bible, they just cherry pick.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Liberals don't ignore when the Pope says problematic statements, we call him on it.
"Don't murder babies" is "problematic"?

Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,165,959 times
Yep. That's what pro choice means. It's pro murdering babies. That's what an abortion is. Hell, that's what contraception is. That's what masturbation is. Murdering babies.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Hell, that's what contraception is. That's what masturbation is. Murdering babies.
No, it's not. Preventing conception is not the same as ending an already established one.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:36 PM

20,418 posts, read 12,336,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I suggest you read the OP and the title of this thread. It specifically says ABRAHAMIC LAW. Abraham is from the OT.
I swear when I read that it had a different title. either its been changed or my dyslexia is working overtime.

as per the Title... I AGREE WITH YOU.

Idolovebacon.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:59 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,834,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
A Christian that rejects the old testament. I'm admittedly not educated on this, but it strikes me as odd.
The primary focus of Apostle Paul's ministry is found in Galatians 4:21 "Tell me, you that desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law?" What he is saying, in effect, is, "The Law sends you away from itself to Christ."

That is the whole point of the NT/New Covenant.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:10 PM

674 posts, read 608,780 times
For most Christians, the Bible is a sort of history of religious thought more than a history of actual events that really happened. You can read it to find out how people used to practice their religion and how certain societies used to function. That doesn't make all of the rules in it applicable to any sort of modern life. There's no real need to treat the Bible as something infallible; Christianity still works even if you take a more flexible approach to it.

Yeah, there are a lot of harsh rules in the Bible, but that's why philosophers, even those who have been Christians, never treated it as the end of ethical philosophy. Rather, the rules people keep today, even if they are sometimes found in the Bible (and sometimes aren't, of course) generally have some sort of philosophical justification. Those that don't are the ones that tend to be overturned eventually.

For instance, prohibitions on homosexuality have gone the way of the dodo, partly because an actual system of morals based on the spirit of the moral teachings in the Bible (easily summed up by, "love thy neighbor" but definitely more complicated than that) kinda prohibits treating people that way.

Now, that doesn't mean all of the morals held traditionally by Christians (I hestitate to say that they're "Christian morals," because Christianity is not the only tradition that holds that, for example, premarital sex is problematic) are immoral even when much of society turns against them. A Christian can refrain from sex before marriage without hurting someone else; a Christian cannot prohibit gay people from marrying without harming someone. In fact, while the latter is now almost universally held to be reprehensible, the former can find some justification in looking at the harm and potential harm breaking the rule can lead to.

Regardless of how George Carlin characterized biblical morals and ethics (he was a comedian -- he oversimplified things to make them funny), this is a pretty deep issue that can't really be reduced to something as black and white as a list of old rules, many of them probably never actually followed by anyone.

I suppose I could go on about how much of the Bible was originally intended to convey a non-literal message using the literary style of the time, which, yes, often means glossing over some of the details. It's not just done at random, though, and it's not a matter of ignoring inconvenient rules. People have been applying reason to religious books ever since the first religious book was written, and ultimately it is philosophy, not religion, that decides what rules society keeps.

(I'm not a Christian, though, so I don't pretend to speak for all of them. There are many branches of Christianity, and some of them attempt a more literal reading of the Bible, though there's a reason people tend to leave those denominations as they get older.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies