Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Obama was right for saying this and doing this, and if so why?
Yes 18 24.66%
No 53 72.60%
I don't know 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Garrett works for CBS, not Fox.
Now he is. He was not that many years ago the senior White House correspondent for the Fox News Channel. Once a Fox... —?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 08:01 PM

847 posts, read 766,496 times
I believe These guys traveled to Iran on Iranian passports.
which means The U.S can't really provide too much protection.

One of the Guys who was an ex-marine might very well have been recruited to work for some intelligence service of ours.

They will be eventually released. That is after all the information Iranians wants is out of them. or any information Iranians suspect they have collected will be obsolete. They will return home in a year or two.

One of the Guys who is unaccounted for. is have been admitted to be free-lancer contractor for the CIA.

It just seems like the CIA has been doing some sloppy work.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Maybe they tire of quizzing an idiot.
I understand that you are angry, but there is no need to act childish.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:21 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Reagan is confused:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R...-no/15%2B-%2B1

Old 07-15-2015, 08:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
He answered a poorly worded but tough and legitimate question with a bad attitude and an even more poorly worded answer. He was not presidential in that response. I am not pro-Fox News, btw. It's a matter of professional deportment and he should have been prepared to field that question right off without dissing the reporter for asking it. I imagine Garrett's career will suffer because of the wrong approach to the excellent question.
Yes your right, and we have seen and witness people who end up suffering at the hands of Obama.

When people don't believe in kissing his feet. And yes Garrett's career or anyone else who asked that question, would suffer at the hand of Obama. And it should not be this way. So often Obama is not professional in is approach. His attitude plain sucks.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:38 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
Major Garrett has responded to the controversy saying he intended to be provocative, and accuses Obama of creating a straw man. But in defending himself, he contradicts himself. In his question he accuses Obama of being "content". In his commentary he says everyone has heard the President say he is "not content". He further confuses himself by saying he didn't me to imply that the President was content. Well he didn't imply it, he said it explicitly.

Here's the transcript of his question, Obama's answer, and then his commentary on the controversy.

Quote:
Major Garrett: As you well know, there are four Americans in Iran - three held on trumped up charges according to your administration, one, whereabouts unknown. Can you tell the country, sir, why you are content, with all of the fanfare around this [nuclear] deal to leave the conscience of this nation, the strength of this nation, unaccounted for, in relation to these four Americans?
And last week, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said under no circumstances should there be any relief for Iran in terms of ballistic missiles or conventional weapons. It was perceived that that was a last-minute capitulation in these negotiations, making the Pentagon feel you've left the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff hung out to dry. Could you comment?

President Obama: I've got to give you credit, Major, for how you craft those questions. The notion that I am content, as I celebrate with American citizens languishing in Iranian jails - Major, that's nonsense. And you should know better. I've met with the families of some of those folks. Nobody's content, and our diplomats and our teams are working diligently to try to get them out.
Now, if the question is why we did not tie the negotiations to their release, think about the logic that that creates. Suddenly, Iran realizes, you know what, maybe we can get additional concessions out of the Americans by holding these individuals - makes it much more difficult for us to walk away if Iran somehow thinks that a nuclear deal is dependent in some fashion on the nuclear deal. And by the way, if we had walked away from the nuclear deal, we'd still be pushing just as hard to get these folks out. That's why those issues are not connected, but we are working every single day to try to get them out and won't stop until they're out and rejoined with their families.
With respect to the Chairman's testimony, to some degree I already answered this with Carol. We are not taking the pressure off Iran with respect to arms and with respect to ballistic missiles. As I just explained, not only do we keep in place for five years the arms embargo this particular new UN resolution, not only do we maintain the eight years on the ballistic missiles under this particular UN resolution, but we have a host of other multilateral and unilateral authorities that allow us to take action where we see Iran engaged in those activities - whether it's six years from now or 10 years from now.
So, we have not lost those legal authorities, and in fact part of my pitch to the GCC countries, as well as to Prime Minister Netanyahu, is we should do a better job making sure that Iran's not engaged in sending arms to organizations like Hezbollah, and as I just indicated, that means improving our intelligence capacity and our interdiction capacity with our partners.
© 2015 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Quote:
Garrett brushed off the “scolding” — one host suggested “spanking” — on CBS’ news streaming network a few minutes later when questioned by anchor Contessa Brewer.
“Sometimes you have to take a scolding from a president to get to an answer,” Garrett said. “That’s part of my job.”
“Politics, especially those elected as president, are very adept at creating straw men…that’s exactly what the president did,” Garrett said. “Clearly it struck an serve. That was my intention…Was it provocative? Yes. Was it intended to be as such? Absolutely.”
Garrett said he didn’t mean to imply that Obama was “content” leaving Americans hostage, but argued the administration has used the phrasing multiple times with families of the hostages, suggesting they would never be “content” with the situation — making it odd that the hostages were not part of the negotiations.
“Everyone…has heard the president say he’s not content, and they will work overtime to win their eventual release,” Garrett said. “That does not appear to me to be a sideline issue.”

Major Garrett Responds to Obama Scolding: I Intended to Be ‘Provocative’ | Mediaite

Old 07-16-2015, 01:09 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
The One must never be questioned.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:25 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Garrett did exactly what the media is supposed to do, but rarely does these days in the USA. i.e. Ask a politician a question that he does not want to answer. I'm surprised that CBS let that one get through.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations."
--George Orwell

Old 07-16-2015, 01:38 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,832,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Well, it didn't help that after the deal, half of what he said during his victory lap was bs. The more people look at the deal, the more they see what a crock to is. We literally gt nothing from it. Iran can delay up to 24 days, and then what happens if they still say no? Haven't seen that answered yet. Iran now has more assets to continue funding bad and is now already working with Russia to acquire more weapons. Yet Obama acts like he just brought peace to the planet
They then go to arbitrations with the 5+1 and argue their case.
(All the while, moving and hiding the evidence)

Old 07-16-2015, 02:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Major Garrett angers Obama: Why are you content with Iran holding U.S. prisoners while you celebrate this nuclear deal? « Hot Air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMI7HPq3tXI

Excellent and deserving question. This is how it should be. They are the press, journalists. You are supposed to ask the tough questions, hurt feelings, dig for answers. Hats off to Major and we can only with the rest of the media weren't the lap dogs that they are. I dont care if you are liberal or conservative or whatever, you should demand the press ask these kind of questions. Put your stupid love affair for your agenda and 'saviors' aside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMI7HPq3tXI

Obama and company have been taking a victory lap. Foolishly. Not just because Iran basically doesn't lose anything and gained everything, but 4 Americans are still being held by Iran. I don't think we gained a damn thing with this deal, and even worse, we couldn't free these guys?! He makes a deal to release terrorists for a rogue treasonous soldier yet doesn't fight for these men's release?
Major became very Minor with this stunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies