Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 09:37 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Well maybe if the private sector offered a comfortable living condition like the past, we wouldn't be looking to the government to do something about how difficult it is becoming to make ends meet in the USA.

I agree it's not the governments place to provide much of this stuff to most people. I think it's in the best interest of this nation, however, to have the best quality of life we can - and to foster a private sector which can provide that.
The lingustics in your post say it all- It is not Government that pays for it. You and I are paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We have been helping the poor for 50 years. We have the same amount of poor now as we did when the war on poverty started. It was been as successful as the war on drugs. - Not true. Poverty has dropped off since LBJ - as much as I loathe him for Vietnam.

Have you ever found a social program you did not support? Plenty of them. Mostly aimed at businesses, sovereign and local governments, and those here illegally.

How much of my labor should be taken from me to provide more handouts? I already work the first 3 to 4 months of the year just to pay my taxes. I don't have an answer specifically tailored for you.

I'm not blaiming poor people for anything. I expect poor people, like I expect everyone else, to provide for themselves. The "safety net" is for those that are truely disabled, not those who made poor life choices. If poor life choices were actually punished instead of rewarded people would stop making poor life choices.
Making poor life choices to you would probably be choosing to be a cop or a teacher, or even your regular office worker. Those are the people whose taxes have increased over the past 20 years from inflation. At least vets get free education and healthcare!

Quote:
We have been at war a lot, and the total spent on war is still not that much
compared to everything else. We have spent trillions on war over the past 10 years and we are trillions in debt more since that same period. We've approached a debt which is 100% our GDP, something not seen since WW2

How about we start cutting federal education spending since schools are local to help the poor? Economic suicide. Maybe push back the age one can collect social security to help the poor? Remove self choice from food stamps and require only healthy cheap food option which would reduce costs and provide more nutrients meals to children? Remove the financial incentive to have children. No problems with these, actually Many optional federal programs can be cut to help the poor, yet the only thing you are worried about is the constitutionally mandated defense spending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Thank god it will be Millenials paying for the Free Sh*t Army from here on out. They voted for this. Raise their taxes.
Yeah, we'll be fixing the past generations blood lust and desire to continuously throw our own into harms way. We're going to need to if we don't want to become Greece.

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 07-16-2015 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Added response in a quote.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:42 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
If businesses had more more they would reinvest back into business to make more money.
The only way a business can grow is to sell what it does. People need money to buy stuff.

I have decided that the way to get rich in the USA is to own a business. Everything I do could be a business expense. Then like all the giant multinationals, I can hire folks to make the world think my taxes are so high we cannot expand and hire folks. All the while, the laws allows me to pay NO federal taxes.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
The lingustics in your post say it all- It is not Government that pays for it. You and I are paying for it.
No way! So WE are paying for wars that are breaking us? Mais la!!!!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:46 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Making poor life choices to you would probably be choosing to be a cop or a teacher, or even your regular office worker. Those are the people whose taxes have increased over the past 20 years from inflation. At least vets get free education and healthcare!

Yeah, we'll be fixing the past generations blood lust and desire to continuously throw our own into harms way. We're going to need to if we don't want to become Greece.
Poor life choices is not taking advantage of the free education you are provided. Having children you cannot afford and out of wedlock, not getting up to go to work, abusing alcohol and illegal drugs. Those are the poor life choices to lead to becoming poor.

Life is only has hard as you make it.

If you have have a child while being married. Not marry until you are older than 21 and finish high school you are almost statistically garuanteed to be middle class. Doing those three things seems to be hard for some and people need to take responsibility for their actions.

Stupid should hurt.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:47 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Well maybe if the private sector offered a comfortable living condition like the past, we wouldn't be looking to the government to do something about how difficult it is becoming to make ends meet in the USA.
You're just going to have to dial down you life-style and Standard of Living a bit.

Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Welfare expenditures are nothing compared our military spending.
You take $1.3 TRILLION annually from people like me to pay for 83 over-lapping welfare programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
In theory that is true. But are you ready for the massive civil unrest that would cause?
You got drones for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
They are not getting this for nothing. And they also pay taxes, too - such as state, local and sales taxes (which are regressive).
Sales taxes are not regressive.

Nobody pays sales tax on rent.

Mircea

Old 07-16-2015, 09:48 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The only way a business can grow is to sell what it does. People need money to buy stuff.

I have decided that the way to get rich in the USA is to own a business. Everything I do could be a business expense. Then like all the giant multinationals, I can hire folks to make the world think my taxes are so high we cannot expand and hire folks. All the while, the laws allows me to pay NO federal taxes.
This just shows how little you know about business. I would love for you to try and run a successful business while employing 5-10 people.

This has to be the most delusional post I have seen this month and that is saying something on this forum.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Poor life choices is not taking advantage of the free education you are provided. Having children you cannot afford and out of wedlock, not getting up to go to work, abusing alcohol and illegal drugs. Those are the poor life choices to lead to becoming poor.

Life is only has hard as you make it.

If you have have a child while being married. Not marry until you are older than 21 and finish high school you are almost statistically garuanteed to be middle class. Doing those three things seems to be hard for some and people need to take responsibility for their actions.

Stupid should hurt.
I could write a book in response to your post. It's hard to sum up my opinion in a post as poignancy needed for a forum like this.

But I guess what I'm saying is there shouldn't need to be such restrictions on such a large amount of people. Also, it's sad to see a nation which defined constitutional freedoms turn into the most incarcerated thanks in part to the war on drugs.

Life is only as hard as your luck allows for. Many are born into what has become a hopeless situation because economic mobility has taken a nosedive in this nation. Many reasons have caused this and most of these reasons can be tied to a consolidation of wealth at the top and a moving of much of it overseas.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
These programs actually create wealth.
No, they do not create Wealth.

Quote:
For one thing, abolishing them would exclude millions from participating in the economy, which would slow down the economy.
Got math?

Show us the numbers.

Quote:
If you get rid of welfare in the US, what you are left with is a third world country.
Um, States are free to set up and run their own programs.

Quote:
Paying for those welfare programs does not make taxpayers poorer, it more than pays for itself.
Yes, it does make taxpayers poorer

Quote:
If we have public healthcare our costs on that would be significantly reduced.
You're note allowed to have public healthcare...read the US Supreme Court's Sebelius decision, if you don't understand why.

Quote:
We pay more in health per capita than countries with single-payer systems.
Now explain why.

Okay, then I will explain why using your own government.

"As personal income increases, people demand more and better goods and services, including health care. This means that holding other factors constant, as higher personal income increases the quantity and quality of care demanded, overall health care spending increases as well. GDP is a good indicator of the effect of increasing income on health care spending."

Source: United States Government General Accounting Office GAO-13-281 PPACA and the Long-Term Fiscal Outlook, page 33.

The Costs of Healthcare:

1] Technology up to 65%
2] Consumer Demand up to 36%
3] Expanding Health Benefits or Insuring more people up to 13%
4] Healthcare Price Inflation up to 19% (caused by Consumer Demand and insuring more people)
5] Administrative Costs up to 13% (caused by Technology, Consumer Demand and Regulations)
6] Aging/Elderly up to 7%

Source: United States Government General Accounting Office GAO-13-281 PPACA and the Long-Term Fiscal Outlook, January 2013 pp 31-36

Refuting...

Mircea

Old 07-16-2015, 10:07 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
These programs actually create wealth. For one thing, abolishing them would exclude millions from participating in the economy, which would slow down the economy. Secondly, the cost of ER visits, arrests, survival-motivated theft, and security systems far outstrips the cost of paying for welfare programs.

Most rich people are intelligent enough to realize that paying $36 a year for welfare programs more than pays for itself for these reasons. They also know that their life would be better if they don't have to step over emaciated people on the street and worry that their house will be ransacked by the starving, angry impoverished masses. If they didn't realize that, they'd just go and live in a third world country where life is much cheaper, but also much more dangerous and uncomfortable.

If you get rid of welfare in the US, what you are left with is a third world country.
If that was even remotely true (which it is not), then we're clearing doing it wrong. If welfare recipienst can become wealthy on the benefits taxpayers provide, our system of benefits needs to be scraped post haste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies