Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 06:51 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That is so not true. Churches do NOT expect you to convert before helping you. They don't even ask any questions. The churches I know of have days that they hand out food and it is for anyone who asks, no strings attached.

And it's actually freedom FROM religion, not freedom of religion. Google it.
That is in FACT so true for most of them. Theres a ton of pressure to come in and be preached at. And some missions require you to attend services.

That being said-the better churchs just help people, and provide an example of what it means to provide charity. Its probably more effective at converting people.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:39 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'm all for abolishing these programs. Let their family care for them as they should. There are also local charities and individuals that can help them, if they truly need help. We have far too many people, because of their own laziness and foolishness getting themselves in trouble so that they can't work cause they are drug addicts or too fat or sick, and now expect a govt. check. That needs to stop.
Fair enough. But there are some families that can't, or won't, care for their members. What are you going to do? Force them to live together in love and peace? Likewise there are some places in this country where jobs are scarce. Northern Maine, for instance. And don't just say to move to where the jobs are. I've done that and it ain't cheap. Without a vehicle or some sort of transportation and some seed money, people aren't going to be able to do that.

My brother says the same thing a lot of people here say. Cut all welfare. He's a successful airplane mechanic, but I wonder how successful he would have been if our family hadn't had welfare to rely on when we were kids, after an airplane accident laid my dad up for 6 months. Without welfare, us kids would probably have been put in foster care.

And as to the foolishness and getting themselves in trouble, I asked before and I'll ask it again: why are people who are let out after serving their prison sentences considered to have paid off their debt to society, but a person who made the ONE mistake when they were younger that put them on welfare is punished for that mistake for the rest of their lives and not given the chance to better themselves? If that person is using welfare for the reason it was intended, mistake or no mistake (and I can't imagine anyone here never having made a mistake in life), then why are people so determined to treat him like trash and say he doesn't deserve a chance to to do better?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
I never advocated discontinuing all these programs......but the illegal aliens on them should be sent home! That much is for sure.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:54 PM

218 posts, read 214,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
I don't care.

How did these people survive in the past? Through charitable organizations and their local churches. Ooops, can't use the churches any more, they're either illegal, immoral or fattening by today's progressive standards.
Does no one realize that our population growth in the past 50 years has long surpassed the possibility of churches and other charitable organizations taking care of the overflow of people. If we are going to keep all our lower income jobs overseas, then there is no one that can take care of the poor other than the government. Unless you want to allow abortions, birth control, let the old people die, put the mentally ill in institutions, the physically disabled shouldn't need help. SSI was instituted because old people were dying from starvation in this country.

You must realize that SSI and these welfare programs have only been in exit acne 50 years and less. Why do you assume they were instituted, for fun and to **** off right wing bigots?

Old 08-04-2015, 11:22 PM

116 posts, read 86,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That is so not true. Churches do NOT expect you to convert before helping you. They don't even ask any questions. The churches I know of have days that they hand out food and it is for anyone who asks, no strings attached.

And it's actually freedom FROM religion, not freedom of religion. Google it.
This raises a good point. The churches have been wonderful over the year helping the poor and downtrodden and yet many people hate them irrationally

But someone made a point that there is much more poverty and homelessness than in past generations so we do need the welfare and social programs as well

Old 08-05-2015, 01:07 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I never advocated discontinuing all these programs......but the illegal aliens on them should be sent home! That much is for sure.
Good news then, illegal aliens dont qualify for welfare.

So basically nonsense.

I do agree that we should send them all home though.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:20 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
and the 100% figure is based on the "thrifty food plan"...IE eat the bare minimum as cheaply as possible.

Now...what occurs? Well in the VERY small % where their children get free meals at school....which aren't available year round mind you.......
Actually, they are available year round:

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) | Food and Nutrition Service

Just in the Chicago area (be sure to look at the map):
CPS : Departments : Nutrition: Summer Meals

Quote:
Now you could then argue that during school years food stamps should be cut. I mean, my god lets make DARN sure these people eat the absolute bare minimum
How about: let's ensure we aren't providing them the means to become obese.

44% of adults receiving food stamps are obese. Not just overweight. Obese. Compared to 33% of income-eligible but nonparticipating (have chosen to NOT receive food stamps) adults, and 32% of adults with higher incomes.

Same income-level adults' obesity rate:
Food stamp adults: 44%
Nonpartificpant adults: 33%

That's a statistically significant difference in obesity rates among those with the same income levels, and the OSU study even controlled for education levels and residential areas, as well.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 08-05-2015 at 05:31 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Good news then, illegal aliens dont qualify for welfare.

So basically nonsense.

I do agree that we should send them all home though.
They just collect benefits for their anchor babies, but I'm sure absolutely none of that welfare goes to support the illegals, right? None of the food stamps is spent on the parents, housing stipends don't benefit the illegal parents etc.

Undocumented LA County Parents On Pace To Receive $650M In Welfare Benefits « CBS Los Angeles

Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 AM

659 posts, read 312,476 times
So, we have confirmed there is no original source/site from which this statement was quoted?

"duplicate free food benefits that supply up to 158% of recommended daily nutrition"

Another fabrication of "fact" then?

Add the inability to understand the cause/effect of those who suffer from obesity, and the result is we dwell in the entertaining realm of political voodoo medicine.

Back to reality (on why more SNAP recipients are overweight/obese): The USDA study found that SNAP recipients were less likely than non-recipients to eat raw vegetables and fruit and instead were more likely to consume sugary and "diet" soda, neither of which is healthy.[LEFT]
Learn more: 40% of food stamp recipients obese; SNAP participants buy more soda, fewer fruits and vegetables - NaturalNews.com
[/LEFT]

Reducing FNS benefits for these folks does not solve the obesity and/or unhealthy choices problem. Progress is being made, however, slowly but surely. Consider how recently it was finally decided to stop providing soda at schools, and you begin to appreciate how slow and difficult it is to even INFLUENCE folks toward better health. Also look at how long and hard the battle against smoking, yet...

Want to go on about a serious cost to society? Obese FNS recipients or smokers? Do the math...

Old 08-05-2015, 10:28 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
So, we have confirmed there is no original source/site from which this statement was quoted?

"duplicate free food benefits that supply up to 158% of recommended daily nutrition"

Another fabrication of "fact" then?
No. These are facts.

Three key pieces of info back up what I've posted:

1)
Quote:
"FNS [Food and Nutrition Service] may be duplicating its efforts by providing total benefits that exceed 100 percent of daily nutritional needs to program participants when households and/or individuals participate in more than one of FNS’ nutrition programs simultaneously. For instance, FNS programs such as SNAP, NSLP [National School Lunch Program], and SBP [School Breakfast Program] are structured to provide up to 100 percent, 33 percent, and 25 percent of the recommended daily nutrition, respectively."
2)
Quote:
"FNS officials stated that the agency’s program statutes and regulations are designed so that eligible people can generally participate in more than one program simultaneously. For example, children that are SNAP clients are also eligible to enroll in the School Breakfast and Lunch Programs. These children may reside in a household where the mother is also eligible to participate in WIC.

...FNS commissioned a study that detailed the extent of multiple participation in four major FNS programs—SNAP, WIC, SBP, and NSLP—for a 4-month period in 2006. The study reported that among the families that participated in at least one of the four major programs, about 41 percent participated in only one, and 59 [percent] participated in two or more programs."
Both from here: http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27001-0001-10.pdf

3)

Obesity rate:
Adult SNAP participants: 44%
Adult income-eligible nonparticipants: 33%

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/ops/NHANES-SNAP07-10.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Reducing FNS benefits for these folks does not solve the obesity and/or unhealthy choices problem.
Sure seems to. Adults at the same income and education levels, who live in the same residential areas, and have chosen to NOT receive food stamps have similar obesity rates as higher income earners. Only the adults who receive food stamps have the excessively high obesity rates.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-12-2015 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: hotlinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies