Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 04:15 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
We already have this "hybrid" system where someone works at Walmart for minimum wage while collecting government assistance. Pretty much modern day workfare. It's actually pretty hard to get welfare in this country. The conservatives like to think there is a slew of young able-bodied males sitting on welfare playing video games. It's next to impossible to collect, and if you somehow qualify it's barely anything. We have no problem spending billions on broken fighter jets that are basically kickbacks to contractors.
Not only that, but people who do get welfare have to constantly keep up with paperwork and meetings in order to continue receiving it. Which are often quite complicated to answer, require an address to receive, etc. I'm sure there are many poor people who lose their benefits just because navigating the system is so tricky.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
We already have this "hybrid" system where someone works at Walmart for minimum wage while collecting government assistance. Pretty much modern day workfare. It's actually pretty hard to get welfare in this country. The conservatives like to think there is a slew of young able-bodied males sitting on welfare playing video games. It's next to impossible to collect, and if you somehow qualify it's barely anything. We have no problem spending billions on broken fighter jets that are basically kickbacks to contractors.
36% of Americans are on one or more welfare programs in the US as of 2012.
Government reports are years behind FYI.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:22 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
It is not charity to say a person should not be paid pennies because a company wants to make a huge profit. Companies in Europe make big profits, but still pay their employees well and give great benefits. In the absence of a minimum wage or unions companies will pay employees less than their actual worth. We know this because it happened before the 1930s.
FDR said it best:

Quote:
"No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country... By living wages, I mean more than the bare subsistence level - I mean the wages of a decent living."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
What if they are an atheist, or don't have a family? Soup kitchens can only go so far.
I think you're making the wrong argument here. The real argument is why do the people who hate paying for someone's food, shelter, job training, and healthcare when it's a part the welfare system, accept those same entitlements when it's part of the prison industrial complex?

You have people "mad" about someone getting $100/month in food benefits, so their solution is to lock them up for $30k/year.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:54 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I think you're making the wrong argument here. The real argument is why do the people who hate paying for someone's food, shelter, job training, and healthcare when it's a part the welfare system, accept those same entitlements when it's part of the prison industrial complex?

You have people "mad" about someone getting $100/month in food benefits, so their solution is to lock them up for $30k/year.
....Thats probably one of the more insightful things I have read here lately.

No worries, they will get around to making sure prisoners replace the mexicans in cheap farm labor....Eventually converting us to a country where 90% are in jail, and working for corporations.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:58 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
So let's not rely on religious organizations overly much.
I stated that I'm not sure relying on faith-based organization is workable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I am against federal funds being diverted to charity. This should be handled at the local level. The poor will not breed if they have no hope of getting additional support for increasing their family size.

Support should be two meals a day and safe place to sleep with a work requirement for able bodied adults.
That's an intriguing suggestion.

People make good points about "corporate welfare" but over-reproduction does cause human suffering. When a mother has 6 children between ages 16 and 26 those children are not going to be encouraged to do homework or given the support needed to be a success in life. Those are tragedies.

It's not sufficient to point to the grotesque amounts raked off by executives of failed businesses to say that this kind of reproduction should go on.

Last edited by jbgusa; 07-22-2015 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 05:09 PM

300 posts, read 348,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
FDR said it best:

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Don't forget this one too:

"Paying good wages is not charity at all- it is the best kind of business."
~Henry Ford

Old 07-22-2015, 06:10 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'll probably be hung/drawn/quartered for saying this, but I'll acknowledge the pink elephant in the room anyway...

If conservatives are truly serious about reducing the number of people on welfare, they will fully endorse comprehensive sex ed classes in public schools. They will want to make it EASY for even the poorest to access birth control and condoms. They will be pro-choice and make it possible for those in need to be able to terminate their pregnancies. In fact, they'd push to open more abortion clinics.

Because guess what? If you make it difficult for impoverished people to prevent their reproduction, there are two outcomes when the offspring are born:

1) They're raised by their (statistically likely) single mothers, and require YOUR tax dollars to support them all.
2) They become wards of the state, requiring YOUR tax dollars to support them.

In both cases, they're statistically likely to not attain an education, to be perpetually unemployed as adults, continue the cycle of reproducing when they can't afford to, and end up incarcerated (more of YOUR tax dollars going bye-bye).

So, conservatives need to make up their minds. Pro-choice or pro-welfare? Or are they only pro-life until the life in question is outside a woman's stomach?

Because let's face it. Poor people will not stop having sex. Sex is free. The consequences are not.
I prefer sterilizing anyone who does not finish high school or is arrested more than twice in their life.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:31 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I prefer sterilizing anyone who does not finish high school or is arrested more than twice in their life.
Shhh....the PC Police will come get you!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:16 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
They’d be forced to get a job....
And if they couldn't get a job, they would create one for themselves.

We were a nation of entrepreneurs before the Government dole came to town ...

Look around at our history ... Most of the organizations and big Corp's were founded long before there was a Government feed trough.

Families took care of their ailing parents, farms actually produced food, and we thrived ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies