U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 AM
 
14,298 posts, read 8,124,784 times
Reputation: 4247

Advertisements

This is how horribly things are being administered under Obama, something like this goes unnoticed.

The link is from the Huffington Post, not exactly an unfriendly place to Obama.

Leaked Document: Nearly One-Third Of 847,000 Vets With Pending Applications For VA Health Care Already Died

WASHINGTON -- More than 238,000 of the 847,000 veterans with pending applications for health care through the Department of Veterans Affairs have already died, according to an internal VA document provided to The Huffington Post.

Scott Davis, a program specialist at the VA's Health Eligibility Center in Atlanta and a past whistleblower on the VA's failings, provided HuffPost with an April 2015 report titled "Analysis of Death Services," which reviews the accuracy of the VA's veteran death records. The report was conducted by staffers in the VA Health Eligibility Center and the VA Office of Analytics.

Flip to page 13 and you'll see some stark numbers. As of April, there were 847,822 veterans listed as pending for enrollment in VA health care. Of those, 238,657 are now deceased, meaning they died after they applied for, but never got, health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Ohio
19,978 posts, read 14,268,565 times
Reputation: 16154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This is how horribly things are being administered under Obama, something like this goes unnoticed.

The link is from the Huffington Post, not exactly an unfriendly place to Obama.

Leaked Document: Nearly One-Third Of 847,000 Vets With Pending Applications For VA Health Care Already Died

WASHINGTON -- More than 238,000 of the 847,000 veterans with pending applications for health care through the Department of Veterans Affairs have already died, according to an internal VA document provided to The Huffington Post.

Scott Davis, a program specialist at the VA's Health Eligibility Center in Atlanta and a past whistleblower on the VA's failings, provided HuffPost with an April 2015 report titled "Analysis of Death Services," which reviews the accuracy of the VA's veteran death records. The report was conducted by staffers in the VA Health Eligibility Center and the VA Office of Analytics.

Flip to page 13 and you'll see some stark numbers. As of April, there were 847,822 veterans listed as pending for enrollment in VA health care. Of those, 238,657 are now deceased, meaning they died after they applied for, but never got, health care.
Looks like slanted reporting to me.

If you are "pending enrollment" it's because you've already got "health insurance."

You'll need to prove the 238,657 deceased veterans never had healthcare coverage of any kind, and that they wouldn't have died anyway.

The VA is primarily for service-connected injuries, or in plain English, Worker's Compensation. Another class of covered veterans is non-service connected. Still another class is no service connection. No service connection depends upon eligibility, and eligibility is primarily based on income and existing "health insurance" coverage.

I smells like a bunch of Korean-Era war vets recently retired and applied for VA healthcare benefits to supplement their Medicare and pension health care.

Service-connected (NFR)...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM
 
50,773 posts, read 26,797,889 times
Reputation: 15914
Guess they're not waiting anymore, are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2015, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Stasis
15,837 posts, read 10,057,452 times
Reputation: 8548
"While the number is large -- representing nearly a third of those listed as pending -- some of the applicants may have died years ago. The VA has no mechanism to purge the list of dead applicants, and some of those applying, according to VA spokeswoman Walinda West, likely never completed the application, yet remain on the pending list anyway. West said the VA electronic health record system has been in place since 1985, suggesting some of the data may be decades old and some of those people may have gone on to use other insurance."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Status: "Trump: Inept, Incompetent, Insecure" (set 14 days ago)
 
10,527 posts, read 6,218,867 times
Reputation: 7255
That article does point out that it may include deceased veterans dating back to the 1990s or even earlier.

However, the VA has been a problem for decades. Unfortunately, to get it 'up to snuff' costs a lot of money. A lot. More than many in Congress are willing to pay.

I will note that when I started my job 27 years ago, we had few veterans filing for disability. Now, they are numerous. Many are already getting service-connected VA benefits (often for post-traumatic stress disorder). Just because they get service-connected, however, does not mean they will be found 'disabled' for Federal benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2015, 09:49 AM
 
48,516 posts, read 84,032,619 times
Reputation: 18050
The VA is typical of any totally run government service only this one's results shows in deaths. We need to integrate it into the private care system just like Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2015, 09:52 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
12,289 posts, read 7,976,694 times
Reputation: 6464
Obama: Let me be clear, We have reduced the waiting line for an appoint at the VA by almost 240,000 people. I have made it a priority of this administration to take care of folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 AM
 
14,298 posts, read 8,124,784 times
Reputation: 4247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Looks like slanted reporting to me.

If you are "pending enrollment" it's because you've already got "health insurance."

You'll need to prove the 238,657 deceased veterans never had healthcare coverage of any kind, and that they wouldn't have died anyway.

The VA is primarily for service-connected injuries, or in plain English, Worker's Compensation. Another class of covered veterans is non-service connected. Still another class is no service connection. No service connection depends upon eligibility, and eligibility is primarily based on income and existing "health insurance" coverage.

I smells like a bunch of Korean-Era war vets recently retired and applied for VA healthcare benefits to supplement their Medicare and pension health care.

Service-connected (NFR)...

Mircea
If you think that only Koren war vets are the ones waiting around, then you missed this in my link:

Davis recently sent a letter to Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.), who chairs the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, laying out the problems with the health care backlog. He highlighted that 34,000 combat veterans are among those listed as pending for health care -- none of whom should be on that list since combat veterans are granted five years of guaranteed eligibility for VA health care.

"They have no business being there," he said. "These are men and women who served in Iraq and Afghanistan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2015, 10:04 AM
 
16,284 posts, read 9,131,432 times
Reputation: 6562
I guess when Obama said it was unpatriotic to run a 10 trillion dollar national debt, what he meant was he was going to do the partriotic thing and get vets to die so we could save a few billion.

nice job Bammer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Texas
26,806 posts, read 11,250,397 times
Reputation: 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"While the number is large -- representing nearly a third of those listed as pending -- some of the applicants may have died years ago. The VA has no mechanism to purge the list of dead applicants, and some of those applying, according to VA spokeswoman Walinda West, likely never completed the application, yet remain on the pending list anyway. West said the VA electronic health record system has been in place since 1985, suggesting some of the data may be decades old and some of those people may have gone on to use other insurance."
I was told that once a veteran dies all benefits stop.
So what you are saying is, it's different when the veteran is applying for it versus already receiving it? Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top