Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Which is why it's contradictory
How so?

Is suicide the same as murder?

Choosing to have an abortion, and having your fetus unlawfully killed by someone else, are not the same.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:58 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Don't normally see someone cheering their own faulty associative fallacious logic.
Well, I will. And I don't care how faulty you think it is.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 PM

29,502 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
How so?

Is suicide the same as murder?

No, of course not.

Quote:
Choosing to have an abortion, and having your fetus unlawfully killed by someone else, are not the same.
One is legal murder and the other is illegal murder? You can't have it both ways. Irregardless whether a mother wants a doctor to do it, or whether a prowler breaks into her home and night and does it

Many on the Pro choice side object to fetal homicide laws

Quote:
Those on the other side feel that laws to protect a fetus could become a "slippery slope" that could jeopardize a woman's right to choose an abortion. Pro-choice advocates say such laws grant a fetus legal status distinct from the pregnant woman - possibly creating an adversarial relationship between a woman and her baby.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/...tate-laws.aspx

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 07-16-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I'm pro-abortion (1st term only) and pro death penalty (certain circumstances). Consistency! Woo!
With consistency in mind, I'm sure that you would agree that they, both, must be carried out with, and only with, the consent of the courts.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
With consistency in mind, I'm sure that you would agree that they, both, must be carried out with, and only with, the consent of the courts.
No, I'm not that consistent actually. I don't think anybody should need a court order to stop a pestering growth in their body, especially if it could end in an injury or fatality. Or even if she doesn't want her vagina ripped open or guts pulled out.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:11 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
No, I'm not that consistent actually. I don't think anybody should need a court order to stop a pestering growth in their body, especially if it could end in an injury or fatality. Or even if she doesn't want her vagina ripped open or guts pulled out.
If the mother was at risk (in terms of health), a court system would be obligated to approve the abortion.

The question only comes into play when the mother (and fetus) can survive birth. Since the mother already decided to risk having the child by mounting her vagina on the penis (with exception to involuntary mounting), the court may not allow for the abortion. It's an interesting legal and ethical debate.

One could argue that a court order mustn't be required for the death penalty. For example, hypothetically speaking, one could argue that if a man gets my underage daughter pregnant, I, without the consent of the court, would be just in carrying out the death penalty on this man for placing a growth in my daughter.

You can't have it both ways.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
If the mother was at risk (in terms of health), a court system would be obligated to approve the abortion.

The question only comes into play when the mother (and fetus) can survive birth. Since the mother already decided to risk having the child by mounting her vagina on the penis (with exception to involuntary mounting), the court may not allow for the abortion. It's an interesting legal and ethical debate.

One could argue that a court order mustn't be required for the death penalty. For example, hypothetically speaking, one could argue that if a man gets my underage daughter pregnant, I, without the consent of the court, would be just in carrying out the death penalty on this man for placing a growth in my daughter.

You can't have it both ways.
Why wait for a court order if a health issue is in the balance? Can you say "nanny state"?

It's not an interesting legal debate in my view - that fetus certainly dies without the carriers bodily function, but at the same time it's causing the carrier hell and possibly will give that carrier hell in the future. At this point, it's a parasite. A parasitic life form doesn't deserve protection by the state in my view.

However, an autonomous being such as a child rapist deserves a trial by jury, as it can assert a defense and possibly cast doubt that he never raped your daughter. But if he's in the act of raping your daughter, such as is the same as a parasite feeding on my internal organs and nutrients, then you have a right to terminate that life without a court order as well.

That seems pretty logical to me

Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Pain is not the test, regardless. It's viability outside of the womb. Not my definition, it is the SCOTUS'.

Mick

Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Then you should have had no problem on remembering being born.

How was it? Did the Doctor have to slap you? Did you feel relief after being freed? Did it hurt when they cut the cord?

You don't even realize how ridiculous you sound, do you?
Oh I get it, you don't feel pain until your first memory.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
If you where aware of "PAIN" as a fetus, then you surely would have remembered the experience of being born and set free from confinement, since your senses would have been even more acute. Did it hurt when they cut your cord also? You should have remembered that also, right?
Apples and oranges.

The umbilical cord doesn't have nerves.

Non-aborted 5 year olds don't remember what they did…when they were 2 years old.

It doesn't mean that a fetus doesn't feel pain. While being aborted or birthed.

"Remembering" isn't the point.

So really, what is your point?

Quote:
NO, according to all the Studies that have been done. No pain is felt. They have scientific ways of checking responses for that, which far supersedes some Religious opinion.
What studies would those be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies