Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:33 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times

Advertisements

I thought the internet needed to be given away for free to help students and poor get educated, schedule dr appointments, manage online banking accounts and apply for jobs.

At least that is what the big government liberals were telling me in the other thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
The sad thing is that some yahoo paid for this study.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:49 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
yes its a waste of time but i have increase my education ten folds just for all the information here, same with tv. there trash on tv but education too

Old 07-18-2015, 10:17 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
lol how about reading comments on anything. There are many trolls out there and they are not just young people.
of course there are. that's why it's so hilarious that anyone would claim:
Quote:
Wow, I don't know anyone who wastes their time on the internet.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:39 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
nat, you are right for the most part. however there are a lot of people that use the net as a time waster. i know a lot of people that would love to play worlds of warcraft, or any number of other online games to pass the time away. my brother for instance plays a number of those games regularly to pass time. and he works at IBM in software development and support.
Yep, internet is far worse a time waster than hanging out in bars, coffee shops, the movies, and going on vacations.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:45 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
As a physician I love how the internet is an enabler of 'wasting' time. As in time off and vacations. I can now easily stay in touch with my office and patients while off wasting away in Margueritaville, skiing or whatever.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:52 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Wow, I don't know anyone who wastes their time on the internet. It's a vast world of knowledge. And many do online classes. Tell me what you have learned. And please tell me the common knowledge that most kids use it for video games. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about
I love when people try to justify something based off of how they utilize something. I am sure the first thing a poor person would do with the internet is check out the latest photos from our mission to pluto. then they'll probably go to their local organic, GMO free, gluten free coffee shop to discuss quantum physics with their other newly educated poor friends.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:54 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Somehow I doubt the people on CD will need much convincing that people mainly waste time on the internet. But I decided to put this up since some people on here seem to think that providing "free" internet to "poor people" will give them "access to education".

Of course anyone with common sense knows that most kids use the internet for playing video games, watching youtube videos, and posting stupid liberal memes on Facebook. It mostly just serves as a distraction from actual studying.
Perhaps you should contact Google immediately to let them know they are making a huge mistake.

Why are you concerned about it? This is not being paid for with taxpayer money. It is privately funded.

Are you seriously concerned that if benefactors assist lower income kids in obtaining internet, those kids will be wasting their time? It is certainly better for them then roaming the streets.

"The program, led and funded locally by the private and nonprofit sector, is expected to connect more than 5,200 households and will include digital literacy programs."

Google Fiber to offer free Internet to low-income students - AOL.com

Free Internet initiative is big step for Nashville

Old 07-18-2015, 10:30 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
I know I waste too much time on message board forums.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:40 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Somehow I doubt the people on CD will need much convincing that people mainly waste time on the internet. But I decided to put this up since some people on here seem to think that providing "free" internet to "poor people" will give them "access to education".
Wonder how these scientists like being a Joke. Every person that owns a Computer would say they are way out there on this one. Watching Sports on TV is a waste of time. Internet is education, and world knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies