Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 12:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Not to offend you but why did you choose to live this way for a year? I'm just interested.
I wanted an education. All of my money went towards my education. I did have a GI Bill, so that helped pay for some of it, but that doesn't pay for everything. I was young, had just gotten out of the military, and my next step was school. I mean, I wanted to BE something, so why wouldn't I? I did not get help, I did not get student loans, (mainly because I did not know there were such things as student loans...I'm not kidding, no one ever told me about those things), so whatever money I did make in my little part time jobs, (I had two, one part time regular, one extremely part time), all went to school. I had no money left over for food. To me, at the time, that was just what you did to get ahead in life. If it meant a little suffering, it was only temporary.

Isn't that what everyone says you have to do to get ahead? You do what you have to do, go to school, get an education, too bad if you can't afford a nice place to live, all the food you want, all the luxuries you want? I lived in a studio, I had no car, I had no cable, I had my old twin bed that I had since I was 5, my furniture was milk crates draped with a towel, and I went to school, and then I would go to work my part time job after school, and then I would go home and study.

What else was I going to do? How else would I ever get ahead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:37 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Obesity is caused by over-eating. People can lose weight while eating any kind of food as long as they consume fewer calories than they burn.

Please stop make excuses for these people by spreading this mis-information. There's already enough liberal propaganda in here without having to mix fat-acceptance propaganda in with it.
I don't think you know how nutrition works....

Old 07-20-2015, 04:11 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
PS--I just Googled that bar graph you posted, seems like some members of this unique forum tends to revert to that old graphic quite often without rationale, even when you've been called out on it before. This graphic based upon a 2006, (~10 years ago) telephone poll of 600 people all over the place, for two weeks. It was not in essence random, participation was voluntarily, the questions are gauging inequality, and again, there's our lovely self-selection, and bias. Further, the graph is not an inventory of every voter in the US, (or even just one state), how they vote/their registered party affiliation, and their documented/confirmed receipt of various means tested benefits (i.e, SNAP, Medicaid, Medicare, Disability, Unemployment). Please at least find a credible, recent source to illustrate and assert your claim.
Pew Research. More Recent source:
Quote:
"Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to have received food stamps at some point in their lives"
The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients | Pew Research Center

Old 07-20-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I gave you a very real life scenario. I just plain old didn't eat. Is that your solution? Let them starve?
Where in the USDA findings did it say the income-eligible who weren't receiving food stamps were starving?

You're making a rather histrionic assumption.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 07-20-2015 at 04:25 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Wyoming is another interesting state, Informed.

84% non-Hispanic White, 10% Hispanic, 3% Native American, 1% African American.

Wyoming has the lowest SNAP recipient percentage in the country, only 5.6% of the state receives SNAP.

Interestingly, despite the teeny weeny use of SNAP, the state still has an obesity rate of 27.8%.

Further, the State has 137K registered Republican voters, to 38K Democrats.

What gives?
What gives? 27.8% is considerably lower than the income-eligible food stamp receivers' obesity rate of 40% and 46%, with the latter rate being a direct comparison of those matched in economic and demographic characteristics:

"Among all persons, 29 percent were overweight and 31 percent were obese. SNAP participants were more likely than income-eligible and higher income nonparticipants to be obese (40 percent versus 32 percent and 30 percent, respectively)."

"SNAP participants were more likely to be obese than income-eligible nonparticipants who were matched in economic and demographic characteristics (46 percent versus 36 percent)."

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...10-Summary.pdf

Old 07-20-2015, 04:28 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
They're also more likely to be less intelligent than average.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Where in the USDA findings did it say the income-eligible who weren't receiving food stamps were starving?

You're making a rather histrionic assumption.
I think that is in reply to the whole "let them eat cake" logic conservatives and even libertarians have in regards to social programs such as SNAP. I admit SNAP isn't perfect but we won't see changes as it a bit of corporate welfare as well as social welfare and we all know Solent Green isn't an answer either.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think that is in reply to the whole "let them eat cake" logic conservatives and even libertarians have in regards to social programs such as SNAP.
Um... they're ALREADY "eating cake." That's why they're disproportionately obese. What conservatives are suggesting is to end the double-dipping of public assistance free food benefits, food stamps PLUS kids getting 2 or 3 free meals at school each day, that enables food stamp recipients to overeat, become obese, and ruin their health at a much higher rate than the income-eligible nonparticipants who were matched in economic and demographic characteristics.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I can't speak for all, nor can you. I can tell you that I was poor as hell when I was in college. I ate Top Ramen for one year, as I said. LITERALLY, that is ALL I had for an entire year. No, I didn't get a sandwich one day, or have mac n cheese another day, LITERALLY, all I could afford was Top Ramen. I can only tell you why I didn't get fat off of Top Ramen, (because it could easily make you fat).

Because after a couple of weeks of nothing but Top Ramen, the sight of the package made me feel nauseous. I would lie on my floor and wait for the hunger pangs to pass. Believe it or not, some days, that WAS better than trying to choke down yet another disgusting bowl of Top Ramen.

I lost 30 pounds, that I did not have to lose, because there were many days when I did not eat at all. Had I been given food stamps, I would have bought the bread, and the potatoes, and the rice. And that would have made me fat.
Me and my roommates were just as poor and we survived off ramen and potatoes. We were also fitness freaks and we worked out every day. So, just because you are on an all carb diet doesn't mean you HAVE to be fat.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:43 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Me and my roommates were just as poor and we survived off ramen and potatoes. We were also fitness freaks and we worked out every day. So, just because you are on an all carb diet doesn't mean you HAVE to be fat.
Never before have I seen the words "ramen" and "fitness freak" used in the same post. Instant ramen is like carcinogens in a bag. I must confess that I love that stuff, however.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies