Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 11:30 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
In spite of the left's increased taxes and regulations. I still believe the american dream can be achieved thru hard work and perseverance.

The Atlantic Aspen Institute American Dream Poll - The Atlantic
The problem is, if you succeed and live the dream, the left will find more ways to penalize you and steal the results of your efforts, to reward those who are unwilling to make the same effort. The harder you work, the more you are punished.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:30 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My whole point was hard work doesn't get you anywhere today. And who is better off today?
Hard work ALONE doesn't get you anywhere, no. I learned that lesson several years ago, and it's why I left my first career as a diesel mechanic and went into engineering.

Now I'm doing half the work for twice the money. I could work hard... but in my current job it wouldn't really make much difference. These people I work with don't even know what hard work IS.

To get somewhere in life, hard work is necessary... but it's got to be combined with something else. Luck, bull****ting skills, technical skills, intelligence, charisma, family/political connections, a union or government job, an industry with DEEP pockets... or better yet a combination of several of these. Hard work alone will do little more than keep a roof over your head.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:33 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You think simply mowing the yard should have rewarded me more than $25? Let me tell ya, girlie, it takes a lot of hard work to be reasonably successful. Try working hard sometime ya might see a reward.
What reason do you have to think I don't work hard. Or maybe I don't work at all because I am wealthy. In other words, you know nothing about me so don't assume anything. Honestly, if you mow the lawn, edge and then blow everything off....depending on the size, then yes you could ask for more.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:41 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What reason do you have to think I don't work hard. Or maybe I don't work at all because I am wealthy. In other words, you know nothing about me so don't assume anything. Honestly, if you mow the lawn, edge and then blow everything off....depending on the size, then yes you could ask for more.
Yep. I pay $40 for a guy to mow my parents' lawn.

I mow my own lawn myself.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:21 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

I see no requirement that you have to have 900 million dollars to run for President. Of the 20 people currently running for President how many have 900 million dollars?
In 2012 B. Obama raised $1.123 billion dollars and Mitt Romney raised $1.019 billion dollars in campaign funds.
Barack Obama, Mitt Romney both topped $1 billion in 2012 - Kenneth P. Vogel and Dave Levinthal and Tarini Parti - POLITICO.com

So I'll rephrase my question, can you or anyone you know raise the $1 billion dollars needed to run for president? (I doubt it.)

In order to run for president you need to be ultra rich, be connected to the ultra rich, or be connected to a network of large corporations. Do you think its constitutional to need $1 billion dollars to run for president?

Old 07-19-2015, 02:47 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
One great thing about the ACA is that you can be diagnosed with Cancer and not be dropped from your insurance AND you'll be able to get different insurance in the future (assuming you live). BTW, I'm not talking specifically about TXLawyer. The ACA has problems and is not the best we could have but it is much better than before. It had quite a few bumps so I understand why people may not particularly like it. Obama getting this passed is HUGE!!! Presidents have been trying for 70 years. Go Obama (even if I wished you'd gone much further).

As for the title of this discussion. Move to the Democratic lefty areas if you want the "American Dream." It is alive and well. Much more competition but much more opportunity. It also depends on what your American Dream is exactly. Maybe living off the land is your cup of tea. Or, whatever. It is all personal. But to say the "Left" has killed this dream is ludicrous. For starters, define Left and American Dream. Go from there.

Passing junk Law is like taking a bus to the Finish Line in a Foot Race.
Nothing to be proud about or to even note as an accomplishment.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:28 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
In spite of the left's increased taxes and regulations. I still believe the american dream can be achieved thru hard work and perseverance.

The Atlantic Aspen Institute American Dream Poll - The Atlantic
You realize taxes are almost at a historic low (for the last 100 years) and that pretty much disregards your whole point.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:44 AM

80 posts, read 61,615 times
Quote:
You realize taxes are almost at a historic low (for the last 100 years) and that pretty much disregards your whole point.
Uh..no it doesn't..yes tax rates were higher but they were more tax loopholes..

Old 07-19-2015, 04:45 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
They keep trying.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The American Dream is alive and well in America. American working class prosperity has been nearly eliminated by our monopolistic financial system that invests our money overseas, supports foreign wars and cuts their own taxes. We have allowed them to keep the workers barely getting by while concentration the money into their own pockets. As was said, "We have met the enemy and he is us." or a very powerful subset of US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies