Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 12:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Got any suggestions? I'm sure the rest of the nation would be happy to find something that works. It's an epidemic that exists in many cities.

I wasn't blaming vouchers for anything besides spreading crime around the city, which it effectively did since there's no apparent solution to the overall crime rate.
Vouchers don't spread crime around....the high unemployment and low income does....as for suggestions, I have no say so in what happens in New Orleans so we would just be debating hypothetical points that don't really matter on a forum site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And not one mention of race.

I said I hope this new voucher program puts section 8 in the elite neighborhoods.
Those would be the NIMBYs who vote for everything but make sure it's placed "somewhere else".
Well except for in the OP, but then you must have not read that......I know we have people living in some of the most expensive parts of the city using Section 8 vouchers do to the mixing of affordable housing. The Pearl district did a great job of blending mixed incomes and still being attractive to high income earners.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
the problem with inner city people moving to small towns is that once the cultural makeup of a town changes its gone forever. It can never be what it traditionally once was when the ethnic makeup of a community changes. But small town people don't understand the people being moved in from the inner cities because in order to understand those new, strange people they have to live in a community where the strangers have a community of their own because that is where they act out their true nature. Those small town people think that all other ethnic groups are like they see on TV. If they could live in Chicago for example they would see the ethnic groups behavior in their true nature. So the small town people have to learn the hard way.
They aren't shoving the inner city people to the rural towns.
They are moving them out of the inner city section to better sections of the same city.

In Chicago they put them in luxury high rises.

You can't displace the poor like that from the city to the country.
Plus the housing choice voucher lets the people choose where they want to live.

What is changing is that HUD will approach a landlord/homeowner after the applicant fills out their forms to rent. The place does not have to be pre Section 8 approved. And you might not know that Section 8 money is going towards the rent at application time because of laws that are being enacted in many cities to make that type of discrimination illegal.

Austin passed one such law..source of income ordinance. Got struck down and the state of Texas enacted a state law prohibiting these types of ordinances in order to protect peoples' property rights.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:06 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Vouchers don't spread crime around....the high unemployment and low income does....as for suggestions, I have no say so in what happens in New Orleans so we would just be debating hypothetical points that don't really matter on a forum site.
The crime was better contained to the hoods before Katrina, when there were projects. In dismantling the projects, you basically took all of the uneducated thugs and squashed them in with middle class income communities around the city and now you have thuggery in the middle class communities. Now the thugs run to decent neighborhoods to get at their rivals, since that's where they're living. You can quite literally buy a $250k+ home and hear gunshots while sitting in your house. This has caused a secondary issue in where NOPD have slower response times because they have to travel to more neighborhoods on a daily basis, instead of hanging around hot spots.

And while there's no data that I've seen to support the following claim: it would seem to me that destroying the large block public housing created a shortage of houses in the city, which further exasperates the economy since people are having trouble finding places to rent or own. It's gotten to the point where you cannot find a place to rent for under $800 a month, or a house for under $200K, because housing shortage is so bad. To put it in real terms, property costs about $100 more per square foot a month than it did before Katrina.

Keep in mind though, that some of this is unique to New Orleans, since there's very little room for expansion. We're sort of locked in by the levees so to speak. So sprawl cannot happen unless we go across the 25 mile lake to the north or go to Baton Rouge. People that want to live in town are sort of stuck with seeing the ugly side of crime, thanks in large part from crushing the public housing.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Well except for in the OP, but then you must have not read that......I know we have people living in some of the most expensive parts of the city using Section 8 vouchers do to the mixing of affordable housing. The Pearl district did a great job of blending mixed incomes and still being attractive to high income earners.
What ? My post was in response to yours accusing the first 3 posts of race baiting. Mine was the 2nd post so you, in effect, accused me of race baiting.

No "race baiting" was mentioned until post #4 which was YOURS.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Obviously you don't know the difference between "affordable housing" and "Section 8".
They are not the same.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
The crime was better contained to the hoods before Katrina, when there were projects. In dismantling the projects, you basically took all of the uneducated thugs and squashed them in with middle class income communities around the city and now you have thuggery in the middle class communities. Now the thugs run to decent neighborhoods to get at their rivals, since that's where they're living. You can quite literally buy a $250k+ home and hear gunshots while sitting in your house. This has caused a secondary issue in where NOPD have slower response times because they have to travel to more neighborhoods on a daily basis, instead of hanging around hot spots.

And while there's no data that I've seen to support the following claim: it would seem to me that destroying the large block public housing created a shortage of houses in the city, which further exasperates the economy since people are having trouble finding places to rent or own. It's gotten to the point where you cannot find a place to rent for under $800 a month, or a house for under $200K, because housing shortage is so bad. To put it in real terms, property costs about $100 more per square foot a month than it did before Katrina.

Keep in mind though, that some of this is unique to New Orleans, since there's very little room for expansion. We're sort of locked in by the levees so to speak. So sprawl cannot happen unless we go across the 25 mile lake to the north or go to Baton Rouge. People that want to live in town are sort of stuck with seeing the ugly side of crime, thanks in large part from crushing the public housing.
Are you sure those "uneducated thugs" are walking around with Section 8 vouchers? This sounds like a bigger problem than housing, maybe something should be done to fix the uneducated part and improve job qualities in New Orleans. I don't live there, so I don't care too much about the issues in that city, but you seem to live there so I would think this would be a real issue for you.

Public housing didn't fix any of these problems in New Orleans, it simply concentrated it to out of sight, out of mind. Rather than worry about where people are living, I would be more concerned about how people are living and why they are making the choices they are making....that is what I would be more interested in if I lived there.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Obviously you don't know the difference between "affordable housing" and "Section 8".
They are not the same.
Um, you obviously don't know what "voucher" means, someone with a section 8 voucher can easily afford an affordable housing unit in the Pearl District.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
What ? My post was in response to yours accusing the first 3 posts of race baiting. Mine was the 2nd post so you, in effect, accused me of race baiting.

No "race baiting" was mentioned until post #4 which was YOURS.
Well then, I apologize, I wasn't talking about your specific post, more the OP. But in case you haven't actually read the first post of this thread, that is the one that was race baiting....but you keep ignoring that fact.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:30 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
Quote:
Are you sure those "uneducated thugs" are walking around with Section 8 vouchers? This sounds like a bigger problem than housing, maybe something should be done to fix the uneducated part and improve job qualities in New Orleans. I don't live there, so I don't care too much about the issues in that city, but you seem to live there so I would think this would be a real issue for you.

Public housing didn't fix any of these problems in New Orleans, it simply concentrated it to out of sight, out of mind. Rather than worry about where people are living, I would be more concerned about how people are living and why they are making the choices they are making....that is what I would be more interested in if I lived there.
This cities economy has diversified amazingly since the storm. Start up businesses are over 50% higher than the national average, we have software companies moving to the region, and we are at the beginning and at the epicenter of one of the biggest manufacturing booms in the nations history. We have $2B in hospitals being built in a medical corridor. We have skyscrapers that were long abandoned before Katrina being renovated. Graduation rates among blacks are up nearly 20%. School vouchers have been added and public schools are effectively out of use. It's one voucher program that I think has done well.

However, the problem isn't finding better jobs or better education, the root of the problem isn't projects or breaking them down (even though it did have an overall negative effect in my opinion) - it's getting the youth to care about their future. So many of the young are raised virtually programmed to believe that they have no chance in the world. So they never go to school and deal drugs and rob people for a living.

It's a problem that's spread across the US, primarily in cities with a high black population. As unpopular as it is to say that, we need to take off the wishful thinking glasses and look at it without a filter and see it for what it is - a culture of violence incubated by the constant reassurance from the public that they will never make it. It's a culture of revenge, selfishness, lack of parenting, unchecked welfare, on and on.

At some point the poor black people in the US need to look at themselves and realize that they are at fault for a lot (not all) of this stuff and they need to roll the ball to make the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies