Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I get that science is not everyone's forte, but it's so disturbing to uniformed people like this are about how CO2 interacts with other gases and yet hold strident opinions on this topic.
Please enlighten us. Are you a scientist?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:47 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh boohoo, if you can't do what it takes to survive then go away. I couldn't care any less. Humans have migrated all over the planet to avoid being wiped out. What changed? That's right, looking to governments and other people to solve their problems. Too bad.
This isn't about inconvenience. It's about destabilization, about food supply, about military expenditures to keep order, insurance claims and costs, infrastructure, etc...

Nature will be fine. The sad reality is there are market externalities that need to be dealt with, whether it's the pollution choking Paris, Beijing, or Houston or global, it's all the same core problem.

Rather than defiantly resisting the facts, propose the great solutions.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:50 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Oh boohoo, if you can't do what it takes to survive then go away. I couldn't care any less. Humans have migrated all over the planet to avoid being wiped out. What changed? That's right, looking to governments and other people to solve their problems. Too bad.
Do you not know that modern humans have been on earth for less than 200,000 years? We have coped with far less than you think regarding changing climate.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you not know that modern humans have been on earth for less than 200,000 years? We have coped with far less than you think regarding changing climate.
We only made it through an Ice Age...

Old 07-23-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
This isn't about inconvenience. It's about destabilization, about food supply, about military expenditures to keep order, insurance claims and costs, infrastructure, etc...

Nature will be fine. The sad reality is there are market externalities that need to be dealt with, whether it's the pollution choking Paris, Beijing, or Houston or global, it's all the same core problem.

Rather than defiantly resisting the facts, propose the great solutions.
The only solution is Degrowth in your eyes, I can tell by what you are trying to sell.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
No there isn't. You need to go back and re-read the debunking of the 97% myth. Just stop with the propaganda. I know what the true goal here is, it's DEGROWTH. It's just that simple. Let me ask you something, if you think climate change is so dangerous to human kind, then what is the plan to stop continental drift? You do realize that when a continent drifts to a different long/lat zone the climate will change right? Do you think driving gigantic pilings into the Earth's mantle will stop it? Just face it, the climate changes and always will, humans have faced this their entire existence.
I'm not talking about the 97% and stop interjecting your political agenda. You're just regurgitating talking points propagandists have told you.

"The climate always changes" is one of the most easily debunked talking points. We know the difference between natural and human induced climate change. What's happening now isn't natural.

As someone who knows this topic, I'm trying to help educate you and break your mind free from its manipulators, but you have to meet me halfway.

A recent analysis have found that out of nearly 10,000 studies reviewed on this topic, only one went against the idea of anthropogenic global warming. That was by a Russian who admitted he was motivated by economic interests more than scientific. Another analysis of every study about global climate change found no disagreement. The debate, as you illustrate, is political, and that's a good debate to have but it doesn't refute the scientific understanding.

You can also review studies in forestry, wildlife ecology, geology, oceanography, and other fields that all show AGW.

I have tried to educate you. I hope you begin to think for yourself and stop holding tight to the status quo propaganda.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about the 97% and stop interjecting your political agenda. You're just regurgitating talking points propagandists have told you.

"The climate always changes" is one of the most easily debunked talking points. We know the difference between natural and human induced climate change. What's happening now isn't natural.

As someone who knows this topic, I'm trying to help educate you and break your mind free from its manipulators, but you have to meet me halfway.

A recent analysis have found that out of nearly 10,000 studies reviewed on this topic, only one went against the idea of anthropogenic global warming. That was by a Russian who admitted he was motivated by economic interests more than scientific. Another analysis of every study about global climate change found no disagreement. The debate, as you illustrate, is political, and that's a good debate to have but it doesn't refute the scientific understanding.

You can also review studies in forestry, wildlife ecology, geology, oceanography, and other fields that all show AGW.

I have tried to educate you. I hope you begin to think for yourself and stop holding tight to the status quo propaganda.
You are spreading propaganda.. That is fact. Not a single scientist knows how much humans are causing it or if at all. They don't even know all the variables involved in climate change. An equation can't be solved if you don't know all the variables you are working with.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:02 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Would someone teach these people about the difference between land ice and sea ice?

Is Antarctica losing or gaining ice?

Old 07-23-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If you trust science implicitly, why do you ignore long term temperature changes (over thousands of years) and the fact that the global warming hoax was cooked up using erroneous surface temperature data, rather than satellite data?

Is Global Warming a Hoax?

You do realize, don't you, that we have had several times, even over the last 4,000 years, in which temperatures were much higher than they are now. Further, CO2 levels have been much higher in the past.

Wake up- A cult dismisses contrary information, while true science welcomes dissention.
Oh my, this is really embarrassing for you. As others have pointed out to you, of course the Earth used to be warmer. We have data going back millions of years showing the Earth warmer by natural causes.

Here's a good summary: NASA GISS: Science Briefs: Earth's Climate History: Implications for Tomorrow

What is different about this change is the speed and fact we have a whole civilization to keep stable, and we caused it so we can fix it.

I could tolerate these debates with those undereducated on this topic far better if they did a little of their own homework beyond their propaganda. This guy actually thought scientists didn't know the Earth used to be warmer than today. Just a quick search would have saved him this embarrassment.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Would someone teach these people about the difference between land ice and sea ice?

Is Antarctica losing or gaining ice?
How about teaching people about volcanic activity in Antarctica and Iceland while you're at it.

Researchers find major West Antarctic glacier melting from geothermal sources

Underwater volcanoes, not climate change, reason behind melting of West Antarctic Ice Sheet

Greenland ice melting from below

Heat From Earth's Magma Contributing To Melting Of Greenland Ice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies