Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 07:08 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
See, that's why the Global Warmests did the old liberal switcheroo to call it Climate Change. When they call it "climate change" there's no change condition that doesn't fit their ideology.
Where did you get this idea? It's very persistent in radical political circles but just completely wrong. Climate change (overall changes to the earth's systems) and global warming (surface temperature changes) refer to different realms.

The term "climactic change" was first introduced in a scientific paper in the 1950s. The exact term "climate change" was first used in a 1975 scientific journal and, as the graphs below show, has been in consistent use ever since. It was not invented recently to cover up for global warming.

Here's some further reading so you can educate yourself: Whats in a Name? Global Warming vs. Climate Change | Precipitation Education

Here is the use of the terms "climate change" and "global warming" over time in scientific journals:

The term "climate change" was actually in use before "global warming":

Last edited by Bluefly; 07-23-2015 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Threads like this are rooted in such profound misunderstanding of what global warming actually is. It is not, and never was thought to be, a consistent warming of all weather across the globe. Some places get more snow, more ice, others less. The extreme weather that pounded Boston this winter - the last of the city's snow pile just melted - is not a refutation of a warming planet. The east coast of the U.S. was one of a small handful of places in the world that saw lower than average temperatures. Warming ocean currents can generate storms that produce significant snow, for example.

If you care about this topic, please make an effort to really educate yourself on the science. Scientific organizations have made easy-to-follow summaries of the real science refuting every argument deniers commonly put out.
Your arguments are always from a political perspective - this new thread alone has brought up taxes, bigger government, Islam, religion, and some guy named Barry.
It's legitimate to be concerned about bad liberal policies so help find better solutions if you don't like the ones proposed but please stop mocking climate change (a term that's been in common use since the 1970s in the scientific community, by the way) based on entirely false premises of what it actually is. You're not helping solve anything.
Being a Bostonian myself I can report to you that we had almost no snow until January 26th, we then had the snowiest 1 month period on record with no melting between events. This necessitated the removal of all of that snow to snow farms where they piled the snow as high as fifty feet. We have had normal temps this year, we just got unlucky with multiple weather systems hitting us.

Seems like we could all use a little educating.

Personally, I believe that we are effecting the climate, we effect everything on the planet, why should the climate be any different?

Btw, your asphalt roof and driveway are big contributors to surficial heat collection.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Right. That's exactly what I just said. I explicitly said I have no idea whether that one winter is attributed to a warming climate, with all the shifting ocean dynamics. That takes time to study. I said it's completely plausible that a warming planet can create an extreme winter in certain locations.

How did you interpret what I wrote to be the complete opposite of what I wrote? Perhaps you didn't really read it.
I did read it
Quote:
I don't know if this past one in Boston is a result of that but that basic concept has been known for decades.
It is completely irrelevant to the climate change argument what happened in Boston last winter.

If you do not know, as you stated, then you need to stop telling people to educate themselevs and consider educating yourself.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:20 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Being a Bostonian myself I can report to you that we had almost no snow until January 26th, we then had the snowiest 1 month period on record with no melting between events. This necessitated the removal of all of that snow to snow farms where they piled the snow as high as fifty feet. We have had normal temps this year, we just got unlucky with multiple weather systems hitting us.

Personally, I believe that we are effecting the climate, we effect everything on the planet, why should the climate be any different?

Btw, your asphalt roof and driveway are big contributors to surficial heat collection.
Again the winter in Boston is irrelevant to the climate change argument.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
No, but the NOAA cooking the books and adjusting the data in a clearly biased manner is.
This is just not true. They sometime adjust readings as technology improves accuracy, if that's what you're referencing.

Fox's Doocy: NASA fudged data to make the case for global warming | PunditFact

Skeptical of skeptics: is Steve Goddard right? | Climate Etc.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
AGW supporters are nothing but "degrowthers" They are using the environmental movement to try and scale back advancement and growth. Capitalism is at the root of it. They can't degrowth under a capitalist system so it has to be toppled. That's ALL this is, it's pure propaganda to knock the US down. They are radical Communist activists

Quote:
Degrowth (in French: décroissance,in Spanish: decrecimiento, in Italian: decrescita) is a political, economic, and social movement based on ecological economics and anti-consumerist and anti-capitalist ideas. It is also considered an essential economic strategy responding to the limits-to-growth dilemma (see The Path to Degrowth in Overdeveloped Countries and Post growth). Degrowth thinkers and activists advocate for the downscaling of production and consumption—the contraction of economies—arguing that overconsumption lies at the root of long term environmental issues and social inequalities. Key to the concept of degrowth is that reducing consumption does not require individual martyring or a decrease in well-being. Rather, 'degrowthists' aim to maximize happiness and well-being through non-consumptive means—sharing work, consuming less, while devoting more time to art, music, family, culture and community.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrowth

Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
I did read it

It is completely irrelevant to the climate change argument what happened in Boston last winter.

If you do not know, as you stated, then you need to stop telling people to educate themselevs and consider educating yourself.
Good lord. I was articulating that one season is not enough data to make a conclusion about climate change, whether it's Boston's intense storms or Alaska's warm winter.
It's right there in the part you bolded. We're saying the same thing.
Move along now.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:26 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
AGW supporters are nothing but "degrowthers" They are using the environmental movement to try and scale back advancement and growth. Capitalism is at the root of it. They can't degrowth under a capitalist system so it has to be toppled. That's ALL this is, it's pure propaganda to knock the US down. They are radical Communist activists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrowth
Or "watermelons"- green on the outside, red on the inside

Old 07-23-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

I was using Boston as an example because some misinformed folks think lots of snow in one place at one time
means no global warming. I was illustrating how that's not true. Boston actually had a pretty average total snow accumulation this year, it just all came back-to-back.

I could care less about one season of one year in Boston; it's not relevant. Climate is measured over longer periods of time.
Not sure why you brought urban heat island into the discussion.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Or "watermelons"- green on the outside, red on the inside
You are correct!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies