Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Became a tidal wave in the 80's and peaked with the housing bubble in 2006/7.

Who built / renovated the tens of millions of residential and commercial properties during that timeframe?

Who mowed residential and commercial lawns during that period?

Who planted/ harvested the crops that enabled Walmart to sell big juicy watermelons for $ 3.99 , in season?

Seems to me most folk have no issue with benefitting from cheap labor, then turn around and blame government for the consequenses.
Who displaced all the legal citizens who did the above jobs by low balling the work? Seems to me that some people think that the greedy employers passed on all those cost savings to the consumer.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:47 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Who displaced all the legal citizens who did the above jobs by low balling the work? Seems to me that some people think that the greedy employers passed on all those cost savings to the consumer.
If your competition is hiring illegals you decide you have to also to remain in business, not because you are greedy. Not all businesses are Wal Mart.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:09 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The employers only pass the social costs of their illegal alien workers onto we the taxpayer.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Uneducated political activists are a trip. It always seems they are the most vocal too. I keep my mouth shut at times, when I know I benefit from certain things that may push the policy envelope. I hired Mexicans (probably illegal) standing in front of Home Depot to help me move once. I did pay them minimum wage.

When I hire someone to work at my house and their workers are ALL Mexican except the owner, I have never once asked if they were legal.

I think most people who go on immigration crusades are looking to appear more caring/American than others.
Shame on you if you're not checking the credentials of the workers that you personally hire. You're a part of the illegal alien problem that we have and the reason that Americans are losing their jobs to them.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Had Kate been black, Obama would have supported it. Obama is a racist.
I'm afraid you'd be right.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:19 PM

779 posts, read 927,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Had Kate been black, Obama would have supported it. Obama is a racist.
Assertions, assertions, assertions....

Old 07-26-2015, 02:59 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:

Who built / renovated the tens of millions of residential and commercial properties during that timeframe?

Who planted/ harvested the crops that enabled Walmart to sell big juicy watermelons for $ 3.99 , in season?

Seems to me most folk have no issue with benefitting from cheap labor, then turn around and blame government for the consequenses.
You mean those greedy employers who cheated Americans and even legal aliens out of decent wages?? Those were the consequences there.

Too; please provide a link that food would go up a lot with NO illegal aliens. Hell; since 95 percent of all illegals DON'T work the farms, care to explain why their kind were even needed?

Old 07-26-2015, 04:05 PM

Who are these folks that are ok with using cheap, illegal labor? Only some greedy employers and some regular Americans. The majority of Americans don't hire them as by doing so they would be breaking the law and cheating an American out of a job.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:14 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You mean those greedy employers who cheated Americans and even legal aliens out of decent wages?? Those were the consequences there.

Too; please provide a link that food would go up a lot with NO illegal aliens. Hell; since 95 percent of all illegals DON'T work the farms, care to explain why their kind were even needed?
The cost would increase but they would also have a labor shortage, the waiting list for picking fruit is a rather short one.

Quote:
The study — which was commissioned by the American Farm
Bureau, the nation’s largest farm lobby organization — said food prices would
increase an additional 5 percent to 6 percent over the next five years if
enforcement-only policies were put into place, because of a lack of workers to
harvest crops. It would cost the agriculture sector as much as $60 billion over
the same period.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/us...-overhaul.html

Old 07-26-2015, 04:29 PM

779 posts, read 927,000 times
Quote:

Good point(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies