Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:33 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Ooops....

Like what? Limiting cannibalism to one body per survivor?

It's a logistical exercise. It would affect the entire supply chain for everything.

You're talking about millions of vehicles dead in the road with no way to remove them. No way to ship anything. No way to communicate. No way to do anything.

Protecting the main-stations, sub-stations and switching stations would cost over $3.5 TRILLION that you don't even have.

And that will not protect your chest freezer or your refrigerator, and your electric range/stove isn't going to work either.

You can throw those things out in the garbage with your Mr. Coffee, your cell-phone, your lap-top and everything else with a microchip or microprocessor or transistor or anything with circuitry.

It does exist. It was first discovered during nuclear weapons testing. It's documented in scientific literature. It's taught in the militaries of all countries. There have been committee hearings in the US House and Senate on the issue.

An X-Class Solar Flare under the right conditions would do the same damage as two to three well placed 400 kt nuclear warheads detonated at about 35 miles to 85 miles above the Earth's surface in the US.
Mircea, you seem to not understand what the actual effects of a carrington event would be like. Apparently you can cut and paste a explanation from elsewhere, but you dont understand the actual dangers clearly. A X class solar flare is not going to do the same damage as 2-3 well placed 400kt warheads. Its going to do a ton of damage, but its DIFFERENT.

while the EMP is similar to that of a nuclear weapon its not identical. Its not as sharp and sudden, and its vastly prolonged In fact the primary place where damage happens would be at our transformers. Basically its the E3 portion of a nuclear emp attack-your electronics are mostly safe, its anything attached to power lines, which end up damaging things. Its not going to have the E1 and E2 components.

Smartphones will probably be fine, but the cell towers will be fried for example. Old reliable Mr. Coffee, possibly dead. lap-top? any not plugged in will be fine...and we will have enough warning to unplug them.....everything else with a microchip or microprocessor or transistor or anything with circuitry? Probably ALSO fine.

The united states could in fact make some basic precautions that would not cost trillions.

I'm kinda disappointed in you Mircea, you know your nuclear weapons well, but seem unaware that a solar flare EMP is significantly different sort of risk. Although fair disclosure-I wasn't aware of the differences either until the "trillions" comment, when I recalled the paper I read indicating the cost to protect us was in the billions, and decided to investigate more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 06:05 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
I'll bet anyone here a 100 bucks there will be a whack job physical attack on our electrical infrastructure before there is an EMP Burst/Attack/Solar storm.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Our military has already said that if we were targeted with nukes by countries like North Korea, they would opt for EMP strikes. Detonating nukes in our atmosphere to take out our grid would cause more damage to America in terms of paralyzing us and number of deaths than nuking cities.

China is even developing EMP weapons to be used carry groups.

Report: China building electromagnetic pulse weapons for use against U.S. carriers - Washington Times
not to mention all the fallout....if they did that, the fallout would probably kill almost everyone, and those who survived, would have very bad radiation burns.
I don't believe mankind all over the world would survive, do you?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:46 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
In all seriousness it was the late 2000's reports about natural EMP from coronal mass ejections that caused me to start buying emergency food. Most threats are complete nonsense, or so unlikely....but this one? I think theres a 1 in 100 chance of me seeing one. Thats actually significant. And when you add in all the other possibilities, suddenly prepping a bit seems reasonable.
remember that great power outage in NYC, years back, after 911 happened, that always wondered me....? They said the grids were overloaded, which made no sense to me?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:43 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
In a way this thread is reassuring. You can see how the herd will be thinned.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:12 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Animal life will not last very long with 300 million + hungry hunters. Edible plants also will be very local as no tech is around to pick said food or deliver said food. Last time I checked the farms are not near the people.
If there was some sort of complete collapse, that number would be 50 million within a month or so, IMHO. Within six months, you're probably down to 10 million or less. I think wildlife would rebound pretty quick.

However, I'm not worried, since I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. That said, I do have some insurance.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:37 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
If there was some sort of complete collapse, that number would be 50 million within a month or so, IMHO. Within six months, you're probably down to 10 million or less. I think wildlife would rebound pretty quick.

However, I'm not worried, since I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. That said, I do have some insurance.
It would take a long time for animals to rebound. It would take decades if not more. Especially since females and males would be targeted equally. About the only animal that would quickly rebound would be feral pigs.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
It would take a long time for animals to rebound. It would take decades if not more. Especially since females and males would be targeted equally. About the only animal that would quickly rebound would be feral pigs.
Feral pigs huh? Feasting on some nice ham and crispy bacon. That'll be just fine with me.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Honestly, how many people would be able to get to the areas where the animals are and how many could successfully hunt?

A large number of those in rural areas will already have access to plenty of food. Without trucks running crops to the cities practically 24/7, there is going to be plenty of sustenance in the heartland and many other areas.

I remember the scrabble to get out of Houston proceeding Hurricane Rita, and I just don't believe those in cities will be very successful in getting out with a complete collapse.

I could be very wrong, but I believe there would be plenty of deer, rabbit, duck, etc, etc that will make it through the culling of humans and then end up with so much more territory with so much less pressure they'd rebound within just a few years and be quite healthy.

It won't be "The Road" following a Carrington event.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Honestly, how many people would be able to get to the areas where the animals are and how many could successfully hunt?

A large number of those in rural areas will already have access to plenty of food. Without trucks running crops to the cities practically 24/7, there is going to be plenty of sustenance in the heartland and many other areas.

I remember the scrabble to get out of Houston proceeding Hurricane Rita, and I just don't believe those in cities will be very successful in getting out with a complete collapse.

I could be very wrong, but I believe there would be plenty of deer, rabbit, duck, etc, etc that will make it through the culling of humans and then end up with so much more territory with so much less pressure they'd rebound within just a few years and be quite healthy.

It won't be "The Road" following a Carrington event.
The roads would end up closed but millions would still make it out of the city centers, but enough people live outside urban and suburban areas that need to eat to kill the population quickly. Their is a reason we have a tag and season system. Unfettered hunting would destroy the animal population right quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies