Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: $18.30 an hour wages will lead to a LOSS of Fast Food Jobs
YES, $18.30 an hour will LOSE Fast Food Jobs 93 82.30%
NO, $18.30 an hour won't harm Fast Food Jobs 20 17.70%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:04 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times

Advertisements

My first "real post college job" started at $18.50/hour with admittedly stellar benefits(healthcare field), and we lived a very spartan lifestyle and were never able to save a cent.

This was me, my wife, and one kid in a one bedroom apartment with one car. No student loans on the bright side.

The high cost of living in NY ensured even that much per hour was just not enough.

Increased wages will only raise the cost of living and not get at the real issue; loss of purchasing power due to taxes and inflation (a hidden tax in and of itself).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 01:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
My first "real post college job" started at $18.50/hour with admittedly stellar benefits(healthcare field), and we lived a very spartan lifestyle and were never able to save a cent.

This was me, my wife, and one kid in a one bedroom apartment with one car. No student loans on the bright side.

The high cost of living in NY ensured even that much per hour was just not enough.

Increased wages will only raise the cost of living and not get at the real issue; loss of purchasing power due to taxes and inflation (a hidden tax in and of itself).
And that is why I moved from NYC when I turned 18.

Moved to Florida and what a world of difference as far as costs.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:11 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that is why I moved from NYC when I turned 18.

Moved to Florida and what a world of difference as far as costs.
I quit my job and started my own company right after kid #2 was born (people said I was nuts to leave a "good job") and then I increased my income literally six-fold.

However I had to wait until I could serve clients remotely before I could leave NY. Took years. Ugh.

My money goes so much further here and I've been able to save much of it, but I still choose frugality.

I'd never hack the heat in Florida.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
I quit my job and started my own company right after kid #2 was born (people said I was nuts to leave a "good job") and then I increased my income literally six-fold.

However I had to wait until I could serve clients remotely before I could leave NY. Took years. Ugh.

My money goes so much further here and I've been able to save much of it, but I still choose frugality.

I'd never hack the heat in Florida.
I understand. I left before I could establish any roots.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:14 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
You can have more jobs at low wage, or a few jobs at high wage, but within the service industry you can't have both and price those services reasonably. So, at the local burger joint, should we:

A- hire about 20 PT, low wage jobs, burgers $3-$5
B- provide a dozen (lets say) FT, well paying jobs and burgers are $3-$5 a piece
C- hire 20 PT @ $18/hr, burgers $10-$12

I'm pulling numbers out of the air, but you get the idea. When it begins to cost more than people are willing to pay for fast food, they will stop going there, and the business will wither and die. Some people don't need a living wage and are willing to work for enough to cover their expenses or are willing to work for some extra income in exchange for an easier and less time demanding job. If we kill those businesses, what's left? I guess then we just hand money to unskilled or lazy people because ........... oh, wait a minute, we already do that. Never mind!

Old 07-24-2015, 01:16 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
MW was NEVER meant to support a lifestyle. NEVER, unless you lived at home and had no real bills.
This. It was meant for kids working summer jobs at the mall or a fast food joint or those who just finished high school. If you're a grown ass adult with a family working a minimum wage job, you really need to examine you're pathetic life and grow up.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It depends on now they organize that. If they reduce the numbers to more skill workers using automation more it might work. Its all about cost. The problem is many fast foods are not making the gross sales they once where .Frankly I can think of a lot of other workers based on what they do and produce that don't make 15hr ;I'd raise first. The fact that fast food workers can't get it thru market by demand show the real tales of why they have to politially try to do it.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:26 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
Another attempt to kick the middle class back down into the poverty level.

Believe what you want, that is all they are accomplishing with this garbage.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Another attempt to kick the middle class back down into the poverty level.

Believe what you want, that is all they are accomplishing with this garbage.
Burger flippers are NOT middle class.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Any time government has to mandate your pay level; your in trouble; plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies