Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: $18.30 an hour wages will lead to a LOSS of Fast Food Jobs
YES, $18.30 an hour will LOSE Fast Food Jobs 93 82.30%
NO, $18.30 an hour won't harm Fast Food Jobs 20 17.70%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:55 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Wow that robot is amazing.

I would prefer that.
Yeah we should automate everything, then there would be nobody left earning enough money to buy anything....Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 01:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Although I do support a minimum wage, it needs to be a reasonable one. MIT's living wage estimate that fast food workers in NY should get $18.30 an hour seems absurd, along with the push for $15 nationwide for fast food workers.

Many fast food workers are high school and college aged kids making money on the side while in school or in transition.

Adults that work in fast food tend not to have a lot of job skills on average. Hence, working in fast food and not as a brain surgeon.

If fast food workers were to get an $18.30 an hour minimum wage, then 1 of 2 things would happen:

1) prices of fast food would in fact increase substantially. Less fast food would be bought. Workers would get laid off as the fast food industry suffered.

2) fast food restaurants would start using automation through machines that can cook and assemble the hamburgers, tacos, etc for them. We already have the technology and in some places like Tokyo it is now more profitable to just have machines make the fast food than humans.

What would these low job skilled adults do for work after they price themselves out of a job?

Automation is the way of the future, asking for $15 minimum wage for a low skill job is going to speed up automation and lead to the loss of jobs for burger flippers.

This automated Hamburger maker is more sanitary and more efficient than an entire crew at McDonald's and can make a hamburger to very specific specifications every 10 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ_fSP3LGw8

Fully automated German restaurant, is cheaper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Teo6veZOg

China and Japan have a growing and more profitable robot restaurant industry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cidUUAhJ0s
ok, so raise the min wage to $15 or 18 and while we are at it, raise the SS payments that much: how does that hit most people?

Old 07-24-2015, 01:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Another attempt to kick the middle class back down into the poverty level.

Believe what you want, that is all they are accomplishing with this garbage.
You think "middle class" is having a job as a burger flipper ?

You have poor, working class, middle class and upper class.

The people you are championing fall into the poor or working class.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:02 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
MW was NEVER meant to support a lifestyle. NEVER, unless you lived at home and had no real bills.

FDR the creator of the minimum wage would disagree. :

Quote:
In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living. -FDR

Old 07-24-2015, 02:15 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yeah we should automate everything, then there would be nobody left earning enough money to buy anything....Problem solved.
I'd rather interact with the robot compared to the average fast food employee.

I bet it offers superior customer service compared to the current situation.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:19 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post

lots of places have the ability to preorder with your phone. Its very functional.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:21 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It's going to happen whether you like it or not.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post

LOL..oh the stories.

I asked for a quarter pounder with cheese meal and got asked if I wanted cheese on that.
I asked.."In addition to the cheese that already comes on it ?" and she said "No, not extra cheese".
So I stood there just looking at her because I had no clue what she was going on about.
I said..I just want a medium #2..ok ? And she seemed to have understood that.

That is now my #2 story.
My #1 story is when I asked for a hamburger with nothing on it and got an empty bun

Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
FDR the creator of the minimum wage would disagree. :
Who cares about FDR..He was wrong then and still is now. MW was NEVER meant to live on. If that's all you can do in life you have failed.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:24 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Being a burger flipper is now a "career" and it has to support a middle class lifestyle.
That's what happens when you ship manufacturing jobs overseas. These are the jobs people used to work now they are stuck with low wage jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies