Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 PM

33,465 posts, read 17,981,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Being one of the cool kids I sometimes pretend to be liberal so I can keep the annoying little geeky conservatives from trying to hang around me and ruin my mojo.
Since when is it cool to be a liberal airhead who thinks the government is their sugar daddy and has to fix all their problems? I didn't think it was cool to be a loser.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 PM

34,829 posts, read 30,898,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Since when is it cool to be a liberal airhead who thinks the government is their sugar daddy and has to fix all their problems? I didn't think it was cool to be a loser.
Because it's cool to pick on the rich.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:10 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,385,813 times
Good lands. It's a total conservative circle jerk in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people who believe that America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with debbie downer liberals who think the rich are evil, the country needs to be transformed, etc.

Do you find associating yourself with liberals upsetting?
The answer to your question is no. Frankly, I have a whole LOT of friends who I have no idea what their political leanings are. Mainly because they are not on Facebook where all that seems to spew forth and we have so many other things to talk about.

I have some incredibly liberal/touchy/feely friends that absolutely despise Obama. We get along just fine.

The world is a bit deeper and more diverse than your backyard. People aren't cardboard cutouts labeled "LIBERAL" or 'CONSERVATIVE".

It has been my experience that the more rabid righties absolutely cannot tolerate any opinion that differs from their own. Those - i stay away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I enjoy my conservative friends, and I have many, even though I am a tree-hugging Liberal. We don't see eye-to-eye, but we can discuss issues and retain respect for one another.

If you never hear an opposing opinion you never learn a damned thing. Ignorance is a choice.
That's what happens when you refuse to leave the Fox echo chamber. What fun is a family reunion without a few debates? A little wine; little argument; little laughs . .

Old 07-28-2015, 07:11 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,489,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have noted that the Konservative's base most of their arguments and beliefs on emotions. Rational discussion with these people is nearly impossible. For instance they usually claim that America is great and needs either no improvement or a return of the good old days. I, as a liberal progressive, believe that America is good but could be better if we equalized opportunity to all of our citizens regardless of color, parental circumstance or wealth. I believe we could stop wasting our money on our Empire and spend the money on our own needs instead of our military command structure and greedy contractors.

I lived through the good old days before the black freedom marches and women's liberation. I remember that the most important part of being employed was not the wages but the health insurance. I remember having to choose between learning the religion of business and making a huge amount of money or studying environmental science and getting a lot of satisfaction but little pay. I retained what was left of my soul after a year on the riverboats in 'Nam and chose the latter.

I remember the Good Old Days and from my point of view they were NOT good except for a few of the racially, sexually and financially chosen. I want to create the Great New Days.
/thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,655,590 times
Quote:
Most of Silicon Valley is liberal, as well as many economic engines of the country. I'm not sure I've ever understood this charge that liberals just want handouts.

Some do, of course, and welfare rates are extremely high in rural conservative areas too, so it's not a party matter. Both sides have their dependents.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:16 PM

34,829 posts, read 30,898,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Most of Silicon Valley is liberal, as well as many economic engines of the country. I'm not sure I've ever understood this charge that liberals just want handouts.

Some do, of course, and welfare rates are extremely high in rural conservative areas too, so it's not a party matter. Both sides have their dependents.
Many of these folks lean libertarian.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,220,882 times
Quote:

You think that being liberal = all losers who think government is a sugar daddy here to fix all problems?

That would be 400m+ people in Europe. Hell, even the right wingers there would be too far left for today's US republican party.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,157,863 times
Quote:
In my personal life, I try to surround myself with positive people who believe that America is a good country and reinforce the American dream. I don't like surrounding myself with debbie downer liberals who think the rich are evil, the country needs to be transformed, etc.

Do you find associating yourself with liberals upsetting?
Wow--this sounds very biased and intolerant. And you appear to upset very easily--maybe highly strung?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,655,590 times
Quote:
Many of these folks lean libertarian.
They vote Democratic. They tend to care about the environment and social matters and don't like the way Republicans try to control people's lives in their quest to undermine our founding fathers' vision by building a theocracy.

If Republicans got back to their economic roots and leadership in solving problems rather than denying them, they'd probably win Silicon Valley over.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:23 PM

884 posts, read 713,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Me, no.

I find irritating people irritating and choose not to associate with them.

I'm a conservative Christian, but if I had a "friend" who never stopped talking about gay people and how sinful they were all the time, I'd disassociate myself with that person. If that same person had those feelings but didn't constantly bring it up, it wouldn't change anything.

Back in the day before I ditched Facebook (should have never signed up), a friend of my parents "friended" me. Since I didn't want to seem rude, I accepted. He constantly posted about how horrible conservatives were and just kept harping on and on. I quickly put him on the ignore list.

I have no issue with friends who are politically the opposite of me as long as they are not annoying irritations; however, that encompasses all topics, not just politics.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. If only everyone could kinda stay right in this ball-park the world would be a better place IMO. Well said!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies