Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip OK View Post
I didn't read all the posts before me, but I think this is 100% predictable, and it is triggered 100% by increasing the minimum wage. They may have been heading this way, but they ramped up earlier than otherwise.

The order takers at a "typical" McDonalds don't generate enough profit to be paid $15.00 per hour; heck in many stores they probably don't make their current wages. If labor costs rise by fiat, all low wage shops must either raise prices (which may not raise profits, if people stop buying) absorb the extra costs (which is probably impossible in a low margin business like fast food), or drop employees, either by automation or by closing stores/reducing hours.

The people who are supposedly benefiting from the increase may well get hours cut or lose the jobs altogether, which leaves the question; is it better to make $8.00 per hour and have a job or lose that job and get nothing.
Which would be the SEIU who has been the driving force behind the $15/hour FF wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What do you mean, you don't see the problem? Do you have any idea how many people will be put out of work or have hours cut by this? And these are people that mostly have no skills. They depend on these jobs.
Well looks like the welfare rolls will be increasing.

The 21st Century is not going to be kind to people with no skills.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
higher wages = good

Automation = good

I don't see the problem.
Just reality of automation that has increased over years driven by advancements and cost.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:20 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I think it's great. I support my fast food robot overlords!

Old 07-29-2015, 03:27 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Its hilarious that people think this was being driven by minimum wage. Its being driven by the REALITY that automation can do this better, and cheaper then a human being can reasonably afford to do. This isn't minimum wage folks, its technological obsolescence of humans for a task. Get used to it. Its going to happen for most of us.

Will minimum wage increases encourage this? sure. But it really doesn't matter, its happening either way.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its hilarious that people think this was being driven by minimum wage. Its being driven by the REALITY that automation can do this better, and cheaper then a human being can reasonably afford to do. This isn't minimum wage folks, its technological obsolescence of humans for a task. Get used to it. Its going to happen for most of us.

Will minimum wage increases encourage this? sure. But it really doesn't matter, its happening either way.
Demand for higher wages will just shorten the time to implementation that's all.
It lights a fire under their butts to act sooner rather than later.

Also very good for startups involved in robotics. Now is an excellent time to be in a robotics startup.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
LOL! Indeed! McDonalds isn't exactly known for fine dining.
And I'm not even asking for "fine dining."

Just make edible food. As large as their menu is, only about 3 items are even worth bothering with. Their food is awful. It's garbage.

They've got muscular competition like 5 Guys or Whataburger that makes far better food. Yes...it's more expensive but so what? I'll gladly pay more for better quality grub.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:03 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Demand for higher wages will just shorten the time to implementation that's all.
It lights a fire under their butts to act sooner rather than later.

Also very good for startups involved in robotics. Now is an excellent time to be in a robotics startup.
Now I'm convinced you live i Austin. You have a proactive attitude about technology.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And I'm not even asking for "fine dining."

Just make edible food. As large as their menu is, only about 3 items are even worth bothering with. Their food is awful. It's garbage.

They've got muscular competition like 5 Guys or Whataburger that makes far better food. Yes...it's more expensive but so what? I'll gladly pay more for better quality grub.

Its not that much more expensive. That's the problem. Compare Whataburger, 5 guys, smash buger, buger fi, even wendy's and to a lesser extent jack n the box to mc donalds and buger king and the later two don't make any sense. At this point they only make money because of their ubiquity.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Now I'm convinced you live i Austin. You have a proactive attitude about technology.
Very close. I did live in the Austin area. Worked in high tech for near 25 years..software engineer.
Did a lot of futuristic work..new chips, embedded before embedded became norm (smart phones), etc.

Retired and have moved to another area of Texas because Austin became over priced.

Yeah..tech is in my blood. I'm anxiously awaiting VR (virtual reality). Tried it a few years ago and I'm one of the ones that get VR sickness And that means I have to wait until it's fully cooked.
Been chomping at the bit to get the latest Occulus Rift but I know better. Also active in the open source world and mobile development world.

Tech has made our lives easier and has put the world at our fingertips..literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies