Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,782,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Look, the guy went trophy hunting. He made photos of himself perched behind the dead lion. Apparently, he was damn proud of what he did.

Palmer also pleaded guilty to a license violation after shooting a black bear in Wisconsin in 2008.

Twin Cities dentist admits killing beloved lion, thought he was acting legally - StarTribune.com
Trophy hunting funds conservation efforts and game wardens. Trophy hunting is the reason the population of trophy animals has exploded over the last 20 years. Many times it also is for hunting animals that are preventing mating in teritorial species like rhinos.
http://conservationmagazine.org/2014...-conservation/

Old 07-29-2015, 09:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,959,063 times
This was most likely done on purpose to show how easily people can be manipulated on social media.(not the killing but the spreading of the story)

Lions have been hunted forever and its just now a terrible thing?

While I would not make it illegal I don't agree with killing just to kill but there wasn't anything more special with this lion than any other lion.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:51 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,332,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
there wasn't anything more special with this lion than any other lion.
Except he was tame, and therefore, it wasn't really hunting. *smh*

Old 07-29-2015, 09:51 AM

56,960 posts, read 25,901,119 times
Well since ISIS is a bigger problem maybe could have hired some mercenaries or spent his time in Syria or maybe Rambo could have gone himself.

The real outrage is that his guide illegally lured the lion from a protected area and the pride may not survive, the worst part is that the lion was not initially killed and walked around with an arrow in him for 40 hours when the guide shot him. He also had a collar.

Real big game hunter.

Quote:
During a nighttime pursuit, the hunters tied a dead animal to their car to lure the lion out of the national park, said Johnny Rodrigues, chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force. Palmer shot the lion with a bow and arrow, injuring it. The wounded lion was found 40 hours later and shot dead with a gun, Rodrigues said in the statement.

Twin Cities dentist admits killing beloved lion, thought he was acting legally - StarTribune.com

Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,412,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This was most likely done on purpose to show how easily people can be manipulated on social media.(not the killing but the spreading of the story)

Lions have been hunted forever and its just now a terrible thing?

While I would not make it illegal I don't agree with killing just to kill but there wasn't anything more special with this lion than any other lion.
Species are being hunted to extinction. Lions aren't on the endangered list yet but rhinos, giraffes, gorillas, zebras, and chimpanzees are. Americans make up 60% of African big game trophy hunters.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,643,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The news media has really taken off on the killing of this Cecil the lion by the Minnesota dentist. I don't agree with the hunting of these animals, and whether or not it was illegal adds legal weight to the mix, but when you look at the dramatic loss of human life - whether that's ISIS, abortion, killings on the streets in the urban areas, etc, - doesn't it seem like there's too much outrage over the loss of a lion?

Cecil the lion: Zimbabwean wildlife researcher took last photograph of animal - Telegraph
I have no sympathy for a man who would fly half way around the world just to kill a beautiful animal like a lion, for sport.

I'd chip in to pay for his airline ticket back to Zimbabwe, anyone want to chip in for the cab, and porter?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:56 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,520,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't agree with it either, but the outrage seems to be akin to a person dying.
At this point, I value the life of the lion over his.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:59 AM

18,133 posts, read 15,546,189 times
Whilst I do not care for the taking of "resident" animals like the lion, I'm hardly anti hunting, and some of the commentary I've seen about it is over the top. Graphic death wishes, and generally out of control rants. Indeed, we see led , foaming, outrage over horrific crimes, committed against human children. The dentist, who killed the lion, is not a hunter, as I define such, and his methods left me feeling contempt. But it takes a bit more to get me to feeling raw hatred.

I know a guy who did a similar thing. I do hate him, but I hated him before he killed our resident Bighorn ram. The outrage over Cecil could be put to better use , elsewhere. No need to sweat the dentist. Karma's taking care of him.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,782,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Species are being hunted to extinction. Lions aren't on the endangered list yet but rhinos, giraffes, gorillas, zebras, and chimpanzees are. Americans make up 60% of African big game trophy hunters.
Trophy hunting has brought many species back from the brink of extinction via the money it provides to fund wildlife preserves and game wardens to protect animals from illegal hunters. Some African countries have been able to reserve over 10% of their land just to wild life preservers solely because of the money coming in because of trophy hunts.

Not to mention the meat is used locally to feed thousands of starving people.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,104,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The dude strapped a dead animal to his vehicle to attract the lion out of the refuge. What kind of hunting is that?

Apparently he injured the lion with an arrow without killing it. Then he spent 40 hours tracking down the wounded lion before delivering a fatal shot with his rifle.

Hope that man got his killing thrill out of his system. What another black eye for the reputation of America!
And after the fatal shot skinned the lion and beheaded it. I don't get the reasoning behind doing this other than it must give someone a sick thrill.

If he is in need of a trophy, why doesn't he run a marathon or join a bowling team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies