Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Is "black" a racial epithet?
To some people it is. In the setting she worked in it could easily be seen as threatening, discriminatory, and impersonal. Is cop an epithet? A sheriff once became upset when a manager at the starbucks I worked at wrote "the cop" on her cup because he for got her name. Its not beyond the realm of possibility that "the cop" could have been could to spit in her drink or mess up her drink because many people don't like cops. In fact that was made fun of in the movie super troopers. She wasn't too upset since she was a regular and he was clearly incompetent and not malicious. However as people in the service industry its our job not to leave the interpretation of our intent to the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:13 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The problem is you don't know anymore what word or words will offend anyone.

That poor waitress lost her job because "Black couple" is now an offensive term.
Are you comparing that waitress to Dylan Roof now ? Really ?

I stated exactly what I meant, that the poster I quoted was basing their view of black people on this one particular article they read on CD forum. One could easily base their view of all white people on a maniacal shooter as they are similar in nature. Point being - it is stupid to act like all black people are sensitive or that they would find it offensive just like it is stupid to think that all whites want to shoot you up in church and are raving, violent domestic terrorists.

I was one of the first posters who said that what she put WAS NOT offensive and that the manager shouldn't have fired her...

Old 07-29-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Is "black" a racial epithet?

There's nothing wrong with being offended by something offensive. People who are easily and readily offended for the sake of it are tiresome.

Its not up to the person being offensive to determine what offensive is? Maybe my working in the service industry for so long has allowed me to be less offended by people being offended. In the service industry you learn humility.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:15 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
As a restaurant owner I get where the owner is coming from. I don't believe the waitress forgot the table number, the owner probably realized it was more then just the waitress forgetting the table number and fired her. I would never keep such a liability at my restaurant. If the customers and owner were offended then why should I believe the waitress. People are politically sensitive and the restaurant should not be punished by societies problems.

If a waitress can't even remember her table numbers she likely isn't worth keeping and I don't buy her story regardless. I would expect the waitress to know all the tables her first night. That's the most basic knowledge for a waitress. Thats just my opinion, it's impossible to know what went through her head.
I look at it another way. Who needs racist customers like these ones that are always causing more problems than they're worth.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I look at it another way. Who needs racist customers like these ones that are always causing more problems than they're worth.
He gave them free food for life so they will become "regulars" at that place.

I'm sure this couple will keep all his workers in line now

Betcha they'll be in the back saying they don't want to serve that couple.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:20 PM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
We understand your position quite well. Here it is:
Well, actually Trace, you and your little cadre are the ones who seem to be boohooing in this thread.

Labeling has become offensive in this country. I'm not always in agreement, but that's the way it is.

For example, I hate to think of the numbers of WHITE parents who don't want their kid labeled "mildly mentally retarded" or "ADHD" or "emotionally disturbed" or "special ed"...even in confidential school records (been there, done that).

Maybe you've got bad acne. Would it be appropriate for the waitress to put on your receipt "Customer with terrible pimples"?

Or how about "Bald, short, fat guy".

"Man with hare lip".

"Woman with big bosoms".

"Woman with hair hanging out from armpits".

"Man with big hearing aids".

"Woman with lots of freckles".

"Old woman loosing hair".

"Whitey".

"Deaf couples using sign language".

"Blind man".

"Kid constantly picking nose."

Are those all just descriptors? Or are they unnecessarily labeling people?

Frankly, a waitress who can't figure out how to number tables isn't much of a waitress. My mother was a waitress for years. That's the way most restaurants work.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
He gave them free food for life so they will become "regulars" at that place.

I'm sure this couple will keep all his workers in line now

Betcha they'll be in the back saying they don't want to serve that couple.
If the restaurant's FB page comments are any indication, this offended black couple may be their only customers. Wow. What a backlash this owner is experiencing on social media.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, actually Trace, you and your little cadre are the ones who seem to be boohooing in this thread.

Labeling has become offensive in this country. I'm not always in agreement, but that's the way it is.

For example, I hate to think of the numbers of WHITE parents who don't want their kid labeled "mildly mentally retarded" or "ADHD" or "emotionally disturbed" or "special ed"...even in confidential school records (been there, done that).

Maybe you've got bad acne. Would it be appropriate for the waitress to put on your receipt "Customer with terrible pimples"?

Or how about "Bald, short, fat guy".

"Man with hare lip".

"Woman with big bosoms".

"Woman with hair hanging out from armpits".

"Man with big hearing aids".

"Woman with lots of freckles".

"Old woman loosing hair".

"Whitey".

"Deaf couples using sign language".

"Blind man".

"Kid constantly picking nose."

Are those all just descriptors? Or are they unnecessarily labeling people?

Frankly, a waitress who can't figure out how to number tables isn't much of a waitress. My mother was a waitress for years. That's the way most restaurants work.
We get it. "Black" is just as offensive as all those derogatory terms you just listed.

Is African American still acceptable ?

Old 07-29-2015, 01:25 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Its not up to the person being offensive to determine what offensive is? Maybe my working in the service industry for so long has allowed me to be less offended by people being offended. In the service industry you learn humility.
right.
I suppose you would take this offended person seriously as well

Quote:
I am terribly offended that when I ate at Patricks last, I was designated as "Table 7", I am neither a table nor am I a NUMBER! I need restitution for this slight, I need acknowledgment of the terrible crime committed against me and I need some freebies to make everything feel a little better. Snap to it.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
We get it. "Black" is just as offensive as all those derogatory terms you just listed.

Is African American still acceptable ?

No, its not. You can refer to me by my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies