Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yes, that is a protest in the context of police misconduct and murder. That's the context of that slogan.

That doesn't then mean in all social setting and contexts it's ok to identify individual black people by their skin color when they are paying customers.

Those two things have nothing to do with one another. And insisting that they do is irrational.
Being a paying customer automatically makes you NOT black? Stop with this activist agenda driven nonsense. You are driving a wedge further between the races, but I bet you know this as well. Blacks are black, nothing will change that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you feel the rights of a "suspect" mean less and should be open to offensive racial terms? Do you believe cops should send out APB's for "Male N-word wearing jeans and a blue shirt"?

What about missing persons?
When did I even possibly indicate I thought offensive slurs were acceptable?

A racial description is useful in some settings and offensive in others i.e. when describing customers.

I don't mind that my dad occasionally calls me "sonny boy" out of affection. If you were to call me that we'd have a problem.

See how this works?

Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
When did I even possibly indicate I thought offensive slurs were acceptable?

A racial description is useful in some settings and offensive in others i.e. when describing customers.

I don't mind that my dad occasionally calls me "sonny boy" out of affection. If you were to call me that we'd have a problem.

See how this works?
If being referred to as black as part of description is "racism", then the police should not use racist terms to refer to suspects or missing people.

If your dad is the cop putting out the APB for you, I guess an exception could be made there.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:38 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
One thing is perfectly clear from this thread: the unhinged liberals see blacks in such a negative light that in their minds it is an insult to call them black.
Hey, that's where their heads are.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:44 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
So, if there is only one white person in a group, telling you they are white doesn't help you know who I am referring?

Would it assist your seeing eye dog?
In some situations, it might be helpful, in other situations no it will be misleading. Because it presupposes that only one person of a certain skin color is around, but the moment that's not true then the racial descriptor absent other descriptors becomes useless.

And in most cases there are usually multiple people with the same skin color in the same area so using skin color alone as an identifier will mislead a person into identifying the wrong person. This is logical thinking 101.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Are you black?
Why is my skin color relevant to the point I'm making?

Old 07-30-2015, 09:45 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
It's slander!
It's a hate crime!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Being a paying customer automatically makes you NOT black? Stop with this activist agenda driven nonsense. You are driving a wedge further between the races, but I bet you know this as well. Blacks are black, nothing will change that fact.
You are being very irrational.

Being a paying customer means you may not want to see your race listed on your receipt. Again saying that because people are protesting police misconduct and murder that is related to a paying customer being identified by race on a receipt is irrational.

The two have nothing to do with one another.

And it's not how human beings use language which is context driven.

Now we get to the meat of your thinking with the last sentence.

From dbones "Blacks are black and nothing's going to change that."

Again, you don't get to define others. You don't get to say hey in this context I get to define you by your racial identity and place that racial identity on your receipt and you have to shut up and accept it.

That's what seems to be upsetting you. How dare this black woman stand up for herself and seek to be defined and identified on her own terms.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,193 times
Quote:
If being referred to as black as part of description is "racism", then the police should not use racist terms to refer to suspects or missing people.

If your dad is the cop putting out the APB for you, I guess an exception could be made there.
I didn't say it was racism, i said it was poor manners.

I'm genuinely not sure how an adult human being can fail to understand language is highly contextual.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You are being very irrational.

Being a paying customer means you may not want to see your race listed on your receipt. Again saying that because people are protesting police misconduct and murder that is related to a paying customer being identified by race on a receipt is irrational.

The two have nothing to do with one another.

And it's not how human beings use language which is context driven.

Now we get to the meat of your thinking with the last sentence.

From debones "Blacks are black and nothing's going to change that."

Again, you don't get to define others. You don't get to say hey in this context I get to define you by your racial identity and place that racial identity on your receipt and you have to shut up and accept it.

That's what seems to be upsetting you. How dare this black woman stand up for herself and seek to be defined and identified on her own terms.
what a crock of pure bull**** BTW, **** that woman, she is a trouble maker like so many out there on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies