Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:39 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times

Advertisements

Birth control pills require too much planning and commitment for average "poor" person. All women who receive government assistance should be required to get a shot of Depo Provera. It's just a once a month shot and they can get it before their benefits card is replenished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 09:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If they have a few extra dollars every month they will use them to increase their internet speed or stop at Starbucks every day instead of spending it on birth control..
Having internet is not a luxury these days. It is a requirement. Unless you want to create future generations of people not qualified to join the workforce because they can't work in any job that requires knowledge of computers or the internet (basically most jobs these days).

Old 08-10-2015, 02:22 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I have heard claims going around by some people from the left that birth control should be subsidized so that people on lower incomes can get them to avoid unplanned pregnancy.

As a low-income earner myself, I find this to be utterly laughable.

Condoms are not that expensive. If a person is single, then their most likely method to get laid is by meeting women at clubs or bars, or in some other way have fun during the night. This will probably involve alcohol. Alcohol isn't exactly cheap, so if somebody can afford drinking then buying a condom is a trivial expense. But let's say they are in a relationship. Assuming they have sex 2-3 times a week, a decent sized box of condoms will last 2-3 weeks. So here the expense of condoms gets higher, but not to a point of being crazy expensive. Not to mention that now we have 2 people sharing the cost making it even less of a problem.

I'm sorry, but I just find the idea that poor people can't afford condoms to be utter nonsense. How can they afford booze but not condoms?

I'm sorry but I don't buy into your reasoning.
It's not about the cost of the pill. It never was . It was the fact that a virgin had to get a Pap smear , vaginal exam, under bright lights to get the pill, even though a virgin had about a less than zero chance of having cervical cancer, which is what a pap is for,

No. Instead, our kids use the pull out method. Which explains our over population problem.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:29 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is less about the cost of the pill, but the cost to get to the pill. So I have a prescripton for birth control. I need to go to my doctor (pay my copay) and get the prescription. And then I have to go to the pharmacy to get it.

There are lots of potential barriers. You need a doctor to prescribe you the pill via the typical system. To see a doctor you need to have insurance. And then you gotta pay for the pill. Following that process alone is complicated.
Planned Parenthood eliminates these steps. You go in, the doc sees you, you get the prescription. No need for insurance, no need to go to your personal doc. But notice how cons want to eliminate these easier & cheaper access to healthcare & birth control? And they see they're not anti birth control. Bull.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Birth control pills require too much planning and commitment for average "poor" person. All women who receive government assistance should be required to get a shot of Depo Provera. It's just a once a month shot and they can get it before their benefits card is replenished.
Depo lasts for 3 months.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Planned Parenthood eliminates these steps. You go in, the doc sees you, you get the prescription. No need for insurance, no need to go to your personal doc.
But make sure you bring plenty of $$$$$$$$$$$. When I worked with high school kids in the Chicago suburbs, PP charged the girls full price for the doc visit and $12 per month for the pills, even when they had no job and no source of income. The girs had no choice but to pay the exorbitant costs if they wanted to keep this portion of their lives private and not go through their parents' insurance. Parents get the insurance EOBs. PP's name would be up front and center as the service provider. That eliminates the girls' privacy, right there. After I saw how PP was deliberately exploiting those girls, I'm no fan.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But make sure you bring plenty of $$$$$$$$$$$. When I worked with high school kids in the Chicago suburbs, PP charged the girls full price for the doc visit and $12 per month for the pills, even when they had no job and no source of income. The girs had no choice but to pay the exorbitant costs if they wanted to keep this portion of their lives private and not go through their parents' insurance. Parents get the insurance EOBs. PP's name would be up front and center as the service provider. That eliminates the girls' privacy, right there. After I saw how PP was deliberately exploiting those girls, I'm no fan.
Great. However, for everyone else over the age of 18, Planned Parenthood is an EXCELLENT resource.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Great.
How is exploiting teen girls, "great?"

Old 08-10-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How is exploiting teen girls, "great?"
I'm over this vendetta you have with PP. PP is an excellent resource, period. Please don't respond to me anymore.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I'm over this vendetta you have with PP. PP is an excellent resource, period. Please don't respond to me anymore.
PP exploited teen girls. They KNEW they were desperate for the care they provided, and used that to extort them for $$$$$ they didn't have. Frankly, I'm disgusted with YOU or anyone else who supports such an organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies