Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now also include Teacher certification tests that minorities can't pass.
Lots of lawsuits now over that. State education agencies are creating discriminatory tests to prevent minorities from becoming teachers.

And the funny thing is those are all public sector jobs.
I have only heard of 2 cases where teacher certification tests have had law suits. Maybe there were more that I don't know about.

One that is well known is in NYC. Both I know about are NY related actually.

Federal Court Rules Against NYC BOE - Teacher Exam Discriminated:

From the link:

Quote:
In 1993 and again in 1996, the State Education Department and the Board of Education mandated that all State and City teachers – entering and experienced teachers alike – pass written certification tests. Yet unlike new teachers entering the classroom, the teachers in this case had already earned master’s degrees, passed content specialty exams, completed other required course work, and received nothing but satisfactory evaluations in their many years of employment in the city schools. The men and women represented in this case lost their permanent teaching licenses, seniority, retention rights, and in some cases their tenured teaching positions, and had their salaries drastically reduced. The Board kept them teaching the same course load, with the same responsibilities, but without the same benefits.
Also from the link:

Quote:
The lawsuit, Gulino v. Board of Education, was filed in 1996 by the Center for Constitutional Rights on behalf of Elsa Gulino, a Latina public school teacher, and three of her African American colleagues. They charged that the certification test they were required to take (called the Liberal Arts & Sciences Test, or LAST), had a disparate racial impact and that the City and the State failed to demonstrate the test was actually related to relevant job requirements. After a series of appeals by the parties, a federal judge’s ruled yesterday that the test discriminated in violation of Title VII.
This was a pretty well known case that was not settled until 2013.

I can see where math teachers would need to know specific types of math and how to solve problems but many of the questions I reviewed that were in question from this case, being that I have a liberal arts degree could indeed be seen as discriminatory as they asked teachers to pick what specific reading passages were about or represented and literature heavily relies on interpretation from an historical and cultural perspective. It can mean different things to different people and there is never one right answer for the most part.

If someone's cultural and historical views do not coincide with test creators, then that does create a bias. Also the fact that they kept the teachers and only used the test to pay them less is pretty telling. If they were indeed not qualified, then they should have been let go, not used to still teach in the same capacity as before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 11:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have only heard of 2 cases where teacher certification tests have had law suits. Maybe there were more that I don't know about.

One that is well known is in NYC. Both I know about are NY related actually.

Federal Court Rules Against NYC BOE - Teacher Exam Discriminated:

From the link:

Also from the link:

This was a pretty well known case that was not settled until 2013.

I can see where math teachers would need to know specific types of math and how to solve problems but many of the questions I reviewed that were in question from this case, being that I have a liberal arts degree could indeed be seen as discriminatory as they asked teachers to pick what specific reading passages were about or represented and literature heavily relies on interpretation from an historical and cultural perspective. It can mean different things to different people and there is never one right answer for the most part.

If someone's cultural and historical views do not coincide with test creators, then that does create a bias. Also the fact that they kept the teachers and only used the test to pay them less is pretty telling. If they were indeed not qualified, then they should have been let go, not used to still teach in the same capacity as before.
preK to grades 4 or 5 are inclusive classrooms.
The teacher teaches all subjects.

I know of a teacher that took 6 tries to pass the Math portion of the EC-6 Generalist test.
And that teacher will be teaching Math to your kids.

I have a Generalist 4-8 besides my Math cert.
I had to get the Generalist cert because there aren't enough teachers getting content specific certs and the schools need bodies so they "lowered the bar".

Generalist is ELA-Math-Science-Social Studies

I don't feel qualified enough to teach anything other than Math or technology classes.
But my cert says I'm "highly qualified" for those 4 subjects. All because I passed a multiple choice test.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:20 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There is no way to test how good anyone will be performing firefighting or police work from a desk and standardized test bubbles.

And to your second part, yes. Many areas learn different math, grammar, geography, etc. Fortunately for most subjects, those aren't needed to perform the jobs of which you are complaining about.

They are active jobs, not sit at the desk jobs and if anything police tests should be about local codes and laws and not math or grammr or geography.

Many police officers, regardless of skin color don't know laws and codes. I shared in another thread I was falsely arrested by an officer before. One of the charges was "reckless conduct." In our area that charge is in relation to spreading HIV. Basically being HIV positive and having sex with people without telling them and potentially giving them HIV. I do not have HIV. That charge had nothing to do with the situation and because that officer was ignorant to laws and codes, they admitted there was no reason for my arrest during court, the other charge was "cruelty to children" due to me having a pit bull mix in the car with my 4 year old son on our way to the groomers. Cruelty to children involves physical child abuse or perpetuating domestic violence in front of children for a lesser offense. Both charges were dismissed. Most of the test police officers take have nothing to do with real police work. Same for firefighter tests.

"Different math, grammar, geography, etc"

Good God, do you really mean that? Explain yourself, please.

Canada is not Canada in other school districts?

2 + 2 = 9 in other places?

"I is a policeman" is proper grammar somewhere?

You cannot be serious.

Neither cops nor you know the law. That is the domain of judges and lawyers.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Specifically, who was raised to be a victim? Because I wasn't. I was raised to be informed citizen and professional in a two parent household. I've never once taken a handout from the government, let alone because of the color of my skin. That just sounds ridiculous. I used my GI bill that I earned to get a college education and never once been on welfare or any of the other government programs that some conservative whites believe are being abused only by black folk.

Listen, when the conservative media tells you to believe an entire segment of the US population has a victim mentality, you have to take it with a gain of salt. Most of the people that are yapping their mouths on conservative radio and Fox News are stirring up their useful idiots. They're keeping the low IQ people riled up in a bigoted frenzy so the people remain divided. Us vs. them keeps the money flowing in and the status quo in power...

You have the power to break the cycle Bentbow..

Affirmative Action at work.... Because of the color of one's skin, they are worthless without government...

You should be insulted.
Based upon the color of one's skin(How racist can one get)... Not the character of their being and the merits they bring to the table as an American.....

Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Us poor white guys sure do have it tough in America these days.

Carry the card.

You have the only white privilege card in existence. I have never seen one nor do I ever expect to in the future. It's a myth/agenda ginned up by progressive liberals.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:52 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
When is affirmative action and quotas eliminated?
In 1996, the use of affirmative action and quotas were outlawed in California's state government institutions with the passage of Proposition 209.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...roposition_209

If one looks at the admissions and enrollment statistics for the University of California for the years after the elimination of affirmative action, an interesting development occurred -- the percentage of "white students" declined from a peak of 40.2% in 1997 to a mere 26.8% by 2010.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...aduation_rates
UC proves Prop. 209's point - latimes
http://www.ucop.edu/news/factsheets/...ons-table3.pdf

In a nutshell, "white students" are now "underrepresented" within the University of California in the absence of affirmative action.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
In 1996, the use of affirmative action and quotas were outlawed in California's state government institutions with the passage of Proposition 209.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...roposition_209

If one looks at the admissions and enrollment statistics for the University of California for the years after the elimination of affirmative action, an interesting development occurred -- the percentage of "white students" declined from a peak of 40.2% in 1997 to a mere 26.8% by 2010.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...aduation_rates
UC proves Prop. 209's point - latimes
http://www.ucop.edu/news/factsheets/...ons-table3.pdf

In a nutshell, "white students" are now "underrepresented" within the University of California in the absence of affirmative action.

That is because Asian-American students rose in enrollment numbers as they were no longer shafted for those with inferior credentials.

That happened because they had/have the best credentials.

As it should be.

Nice try though.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:58 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This is a duplicate thread, but let me answer truthfully.

I dont think we should push to have anyone in a job just to have more black people there,at least in the sense of an individual company.

If I want a job somewhere, I will apply there. If they choose not to look at my application simply because im black, then we have a problem, but I dont need someone advocating for more black people in one field just because they dont see any.

Now, how about the CBC pool their money (like they do for the CBC staffer bootcamp) and create a couple of scholarships just for black people who want to pursue a career in STEM
?
Because that would mean taking action rather than pointing fingers and making up problems that don't apply across the spectrum as they would wish. That is the easy way for them, actually putting money where their mouths are is another story and a bit harder for them.

Good idea, BTW.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
How are the police and firefighters test skewed against minorities?

How is any test skewed against minorities? Do you guys learn different math, grammar, geography, etc than the rest of us?
Maybe my post was skewed against YOU!

Why don't you read what I actually said and get back to me.

On second thought, don't bother. My day is going quite well.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Maybe my post was skewed against YOU!

Why don't you read what I actually said and get back to me.

On second thought, don't bother. My day is going quite well.
You wrote this:

"I find police or firefighter tests that are skewed against non minorities to be indefensible, but then, I see no need to defend it. And unless you can prove to me that white cops or firefighters are more competent than non white ones (and you couldn't in a million years), I'm certainly not gonna get exercised over the issue."

Admittedly, a rather rambling and slightly incoherent statement, but maybe you were angry or posting very quickly at work.

In any case, you seem to acknowledge the issue and then (as usual) dismiss its relevance while still getting excited enough to comment on it.

So, seeing as you think they are skewed, please explain exactly how. I would appreciate if you would find an actual test and go through it with us and explain why I could answer the question while a black man could not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies