Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:50 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,671,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is an overwhelming support for Democrats among people who receive food stamps, unemployment compensation, government disability, public housing, medicaid and welfare/public assistance.

Public Housing: 81% Dem vs 12% Rep
Medicaid: 74% Dem vs 16% Rep
Food Stamps: 67% Dem vs 20% Rep
Unemployment Comp: 66% Dem vs 21% Rep
Disability: 64% Dem vs 25% Rep
Welfare/Public Assistance: 63% Dem vs 22% Rep

This begs to question...

1) Do Democrats really want to get people off government programs?
2) Would it hurt them as a party if we saw 50% less people relying on these government programs?
3) Do Democrats want to create new programs to potentially expand and lock-in their base?

I view it similar to how Apple retains its customers, such as iTunes. You start buying your music from iTunes and it's only compatible with Apple products. If you were to change to say Samsung, you would have to go through a lot of work converting your songs and lose quality as a result from converting these files. I myself at one point was considering trying out Samsung, but decided against it because I was already so engraved into Apple. The more programs Democrats create, the more people who will end up relying on these programs, thus making them more likely to vote for the party who created and supports these programs. This is just my thinking anyways.

--------
DISCLAIMER: I've voted for Obama both elections and haven't regretted my choices. I even have a "I am a proud Obama voter" sticker on my fridge (it was sent to me for free, but I still put it up nonetheless). However, I am perfectly fine with being critical about the party I voted for. I consider myself someone who is near the center because I like ideas from both parties and also hate ideas from both parties. I tend to annoy a lot of hardcore Democrats and hardcore Republicans, but most people around the middle seem to agree with me or at least are fine with me when discussing politics. When it comes to social issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, stem cells etc I side with liberals, when it comes fiscal issues such as tax policy, spending, government programs etc I side with conservatives. And then there are some issues where I'm mixed such as the second amendment. I support having universal background checks, but I also support being able to conceal carry for those who qualify. I support funding the military, but I don't want to preemptively police the world. Anyways, that's enough disclaimer lol. My point I'm trying to get across is I'm not attacking Democrats here, this is just a real concern I have about the party.

That's funny bmx, I agree with most everything you say except I identify conservative and regret your choice of voting for Obama. Social issues are important but we have to have our fiscal house in order first, it helps everyone not just a few that Democrats favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:54 AM

25,805 posts, read 16,456,078 times
This is not a new revelation. Democrats have been keeping people of color down by many means for 150 years including slavery and Jim Crow. And now it's welfare and food stamps. How they get away with it I don't know.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:58 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,080,397 times
One day their will be so many food stamp recipients, there will not be enough food to buy. Prices will go higher.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,017,002 times
Yes.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:48 PM

17,704 posts, read 13,565,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is not a new revelation. Democrats have been keeping people of color down by many means for 150 years including slavery and Jim Crow. And now it's welfare and food stamps. How they get away with it I don't know.
Because your corporate overlords want it that way. The Great Society was the best thing to ever happen to the Pubs.

It used to be that the working man was always weary about the owners screwing them. Now they have you so obsessed with the welfare class you don't even notice.

Unless you of course look at the stock market compared to the unemployment rate. Or a graph of CEO compensation vs. worker pay over the last 50 years since the great society was implemented.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 PM

20,013 posts, read 20,696,807 times
Still waiting for that free cell phone...

Old 08-03-2015, 06:06 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,316,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I ask you in all seriousness:

Have you EVER seen a dem proposal that CUTS BACK on gov't programs?

Have you EVER seen the dems REDUCE a programs budget?

Have you EVER seen the dems propose an evaluation of existing programs to get rid of the waste, fraud, abuse and redundancy of said programs?

Answer those and you have you have the answer to your own question.
Clinton helped reform welfare, and put in 5 year limits on people receiving welfare benefits. this helped fulfill his campaign promise to "end welfare as we know it"

Old 08-03-2015, 06:24 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,351,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

The biggest flaw in your argument is that poor people are big part of the voting base. They're not. It's mainly the most educated and most liberal who vote Democratic. (Eg, Harvard PhDs, artists, teachers, etc)

The "compassionate conservative" does not currently exist.
Compassionate conservatives don't use government to force compassion from people, they do it willingly, it's no surprise liberals don't see the distinction. It's funny how progressives are only compassionate with other peoples money.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:28 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,316,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Compassionate conservatives don't use government to force compassion from people, they do it willingly, it's no surprise liberals don't see the distinction. It's funny how progressives are only compassionate with other peoples money.
Yes, because compassion is the first word I think of when it comes to conservatives.

LOL.

I'm so sorry you folks dont want to be part of a compassionate society.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 PM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
FDR was a disaster as a president.

What should have been a severe recession was made into a depression that caused millions of otherwise hardworking independent Americans to become desperately dependent on government largess.
That's true. And even economists at super-liberal UCLA agree:

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate | UCLA

Misguided government policies prolonged Great Depression | UCLA

Quote:
For Democrats, this desperation became a political windfall as they were also the party of government handouts.

In the end, even though the economy was a disaster for years and years after it should have fully recovered, the ****ty economy meant FDR had to die in office to lose the presidency.

This lesson is one learned by every Democrat.

LBJ made this deal with the devil the official modus operandi of the Party with his war on poverty that has become the war on black fatherhood.

Today, programs like free cell phone service are available to those who belong to the club...

Most people will qualify for a Lifeline cell phone and service through their participation in a federal or state assistance program. The theory goes, if you are on these designated programs then you have already proven yourself to be in financial need; so no need to prove it all over again. Here are the universal federal assistance programs you’ll find in every state:
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
  • Medicaid
  • National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
  • Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
Who Qualifies for a free government cell phone?

However, if you don`t belong to the club, if you work for a living, then you can go pound sand.
Exactly, and it was designed that way so Dems could gain a political advantage. How sad is that? Dems only have political power because they exploit the poor.

Democrats: the worst oppressors the U.S. has ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies