Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 AM

148 posts, read 131,900 times

Advertisements

Conservatives convinced College Board to rewrite American history - The Washington Post

Conservatives, including the Republican National Committee and 2016 GOP presidential hopeful Ben Carson, slammed the 2014 Advanced Placement history course, saying it overemphasized negative aspects of U.S. history, portrayed historical events as “identity politics” — a series of conflicts between groups of people as opposed to explaining historical events through shared ideals — and did not fully explore the unique and positive values of the U.S. system.

Carson told a gathering in September that the framework is so anti-American that “I think most people, when they finish that course, they’d be ready to sign up for ISIS.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
Conservatives convinced College Board to rewrite American history - The Washington Post

Conservatives, including the Republican National Committee and 2016 GOP presidential hopeful Ben Carson, slammed the 2014 Advanced Placement history course, saying it overemphasized negative aspects of U.S. history, portrayed historical events as “identity politics” — a series of conflicts between groups of people as opposed to explaining historical events through shared ideals — and did not fully explore the unique and positive values of the U.S. system.

Carson told a gathering in September that the framework is so anti-American that “I think most people, when they finish that course, they’d be ready to sign up for ISIS.”
Maybe Carson is an easy mark for ISIS recruiters, but I feel that most people, even teenagers, can distinguish the two.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Well, I agree with Norman Lear:

Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life at TCA | EW.com

“Everybody knows me to be a progressive or a liberal or lefty or whatever. I think of myself as a bleeding-heart conservative. You will not f— with my Bill of Rights, my Constitution, my guarantees of political justice for all. But does my heart bleed for those who need help and aren’t getting the justice that the country promises them and the equal opportunity the country promises? Yes. I’m a bleeding heart, but I think myself to be a total social conservative.

The people who are running just don’t seem to have America on their minds, not the America I think about. When I was a kid we were in love with America. As early as I can remember, there was a civics class in my public school. And I was in love with those things that guaranteed freedom before I learned that there were people who hated me because I was Jewish. I had a Bill of Rights and a Constitution, those words out of the Declaration that protected me. And I knew about that because we had civics in class. We don’t have that much in the country anymore. So before World War II or shortly after, we were in love with America because we understood what it was about and that’s what we were in love with. I believe everybody’s patriotic today. Everybody loves America. But I don’t need their flag plans to prove it. I’d like to go back to civics lessons.”

Except, I don't believe everyone loves America because the history of this country is taught in our pathetic progressive schools as an unbroken line of oppression of women, Native Americans, and minorities and ignores the accomplishments of men.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Well, I agree with Norman Lear:

Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life at TCA | EW.com

“Everybody knows me to be a progressive or a liberal or lefty or whatever. I think of myself as a bleeding-heart conservative. You will not f— with my Bill of Rights, my Constitution, my guarantees of political justice for all. But does my heart bleed for those who need help and aren’t getting the justice that the country promises them and the equal opportunity the country promises? Yes. I’m a bleeding heart, but I think myself to be a total social conservative.

The people who are running just don’t seem to have America on their minds, not the America I think about. When I was a kid we were in love with America. As early as I can remember, there was a civics class in my public school. And I was in love with those things that guaranteed freedom before I learned that there were people who hated me because I was Jewish. I had a Bill of Rights and a Constitution, those words out of the Declaration that protected me. And I knew about that because we had civics in class. We don’t have that much in the country anymore. So before World War II or shortly after, we were in love with America because we understood what it was about and that’s what we were in love with. I believe everybody’s patriotic today. Everybody loves America. But I don’t need their flag plans to prove it. I’d like to go back to civics lessons.”

Except, I don't believe everyone loves America because the history of this country is taught in our pathetic progressive schools as an unbroken line of oppression of women, Native Americans, and minorities and ignores the accomplishments of men.
*SIGH*

I swear, you folks get your undies in a bunch way too easily.

So what if everyone doesn't love America. Enough people DO love it...and that number is high enough so that America's detractors don't even matter.

I'm always amazed at how insecure Americans are about patriotism. If one guy isn't patriotic, you think the country is going down the tubes.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:02 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Are they making the change about the earth being flat? Slaves coming to the States as tourists, overstaying their visa and the kind locals offering to employ them in exchange for luxury accommodations and gourmet food?

Mick

Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Are they making the change about the earth being flat? Slaves coming to the States as tourists, overstaying their visa and the kind locals offering to employ them in exchange for luxury accommodations and gourmet food?

Mick
Actually they came here illegally and took jobs from hard-working Americans because they would work for free, err, cheaper.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:18 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Go Republicans, please make those biased Leftists stick to the facts and present both sides.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Go Republicans, please make those biased Leftists stick to the facts and present both sides.
What exactly are the facts then?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:37 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post

i.e.- be more factual. Replacing liberal myths with actual history is always disturbing to the left. The liberal myth "small pox blankets" are just too priceless; however, they have been accepted as fact by libs.

1. there were no liberal small pox blankets

2. cultures have been overthrown throughout history by other, more advanced, cultures

3. Indians were paid for land- they were just sold out by corrupt cheifs

4. The Indians slaughtered 1/4 of the colonial population in the King Phillip Wars- that is okay with libs

5. Indians were a barbaric, stone age culture, prone to perpetual warfare among themselves

6. Indians mutilated and tortured prisoners

7. Indians had slaves

Old 08-03-2015, 10:48 AM

148 posts, read 131,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
i.e.- be more factual. Replacing liberal myths with actual history is always disturbing to the left. The liberal myth "small pox blankets" are just too priceless; however, they have been accepted as fact by libs.

1. there were no liberal small pox blankets

2. cultures have been overthrown throughout history by other, more advanced, cultures

3. Indians were paid for land- they were just sold out by corrupt cheifs

4. The Indians slaughtered 1/4 of the colonial population in the King Phillip Wars- that is okay with libs

5. Indians were a barbaric, stone age culture, prone to perpetual warfare among themselves

6. Indians mutilated and tortured prisoners

7. Indians had slaves
What this have to do with the topic? This isn't a topic about Indians, but changing an entire course to make it more american friendly, when everybody knows this country committed countless atrocities. The conservatives are rewriting history to make it more patriotic, and in their own words, ignoring identity politics in favor of looking at history through a more unified lense. Anybody that not a complete idiot knows that history is complex and has alot of factors contributing to how things occurred, with multiple groups playing a role (AKA Identity politics). To make them unified is to ignore history, as conflicts between groups is what defined it, as there is rarely, if ever a case when everybody was on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies