Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Black and African American are unrelated terms. Black is a skin color regardless of where they live. African American is somebody born in Africa and living in America regardless of their skin color.

It really is that simple.
Using that logic, quite a few folks from India and Sri Lanka would qualify as "Black." Similarly, someone born in Egypt and living in Canada (which is part of "North America") would be "African American," instead of "Egyptian Canadian."

Quote:
Sorry, but I have white friends from Africa who live in America. That means they are African American.
Actually, these folks would be "Afrikaner Americans," "Rhodesian Americans," etc.

Quote:
And I have black friends who were born in America. That means they are Americans.
If those "black friends" were born in an "American" country other than the United States (e.g. Mexico, Guyana, Belize, etc.), they might not have U.S. citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 02:11 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're white. Be happy with that and stop trying to be cute.

Evolution is what it is, but this isn't about evolution. You're not an African American in any way. Wanna be Asian or some other group...fine. That's between you and them.

But THIS? No. You can lay no claim to it whatsoever.
Quote:
They can list him as Stokely Carmichael if they want to. Doesn't matter.

If he's white, he ain't no African American. Not now,not then, not ever. He's white.
Quote:
The designation is reserved for black Americans of African descent.

That's how it can be.

It isn't out of favor to me. It's perfectly fine. I actually like it better than African American.

It sounds antiquated...but that's the worst you can say about it.
Quote:
Lol..your assertion doesn't bother me one bit. That's because I'm right and you're not. You can't say anything that'll get under my skin.

He can be as African as Shaka Zulu for all I care. That's none of my concern.

But no matter how long he was to stay in this country, he can't become an African American. This is a blacks only club. That's just the way it is.

So..now you know.

Easily. Because they aren't black.

The term is reserved for American descendants of slaves...or immigrants coming from other nations in the Americas that had slavery.

Charlize Theron doesn't qualify. Nor would she want to because she knows that's it's preposterous to make that assertion.
Quote:
I'm not trampling on anyone's right to happiness or their liberty.

But if you're not black, you're not an African American.

This ain't hard to understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Who gets to make that determination? You?

Hahahahaha! It is not up to you and any American who has African ancestry can very reasonably claim to be an African American. It is not up to you or any self-appointed censor of politically correct speech to make that determination.

In fact, according to the tenants of political correctness, it is up to each person to "self-identify," isn't it?
Spartacus, I was all ready to get on here and agree with you..... until I looked it up. Looks like desertdetroiter is actually right, although from what I've read, the term "African American" can't just be designated to someone just because they are black, they also have to be descendants of slaves. Even the dictionary says he's right.

“African-American†refers to descendants of enslaved Black people who are from the United States. The reason we use an entire continent (Africa) instead of a country (e.g., “Italian-Americanâ€) is because slave masters purposefully obliterated tribal ancestry, language and family units in order to destroy the spirit of the people they enslaved, thereby making it impossible for their descendants to trace their history prior to being born into slavery.

Ask the White Guy: Is a White Person From Africa an African-American? - DiversityInc

So, say a white guy from Nigeria moved here. He'd be referred to as a "Nigerian-American", not an African-American

Old 08-05-2015, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually "African-American" became common due to many black Americans (who is this "we" you are speaking of who came up with it?) wanting to highlight their African ancestry, not because "black" was derrogatory.

Not all black Americans call themselves African Americans. Some do, some don't. It is odd that so many people on here get all up in a tizzy thinking about black people.

It is not confusing. They are synonyms. Neither are derrogatory. I call myself a "black American" because culturally I am an American who is black. I have nothing against Africa but I have no recent connection to African. Yet if you call me an "African American" I don't care and most black people don't care any other way.

It is really odd how some white people try to act like black people are upset about things that we really don't give a crap about.
I don't doubt that it doesn't bother black people, as much as it bothers the self-loathing, guilt-ridden white Liberals who decided it was the more politically correct term in the first place.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Which begs the question why is the term colored people bad but "people of color" good?
I never understood the "people of color" term either, considering we're all "people of color"..... Is there anyone on earth who doesn't have a color to their skin?

Old 08-05-2015, 04:18 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Spartacus, I was all ready to get on here and agree with you..... until I looked it up. Looks like desertdetroiter is actually right, although from what I've read, the term "African American" can't just be designated to someone just because they are black, they also have to be descendants of slaves. Even the dictionary says he's right.

“African-American” refers to descendants of enslaved Black people who are from the United States. The reason we use an entire continent (Africa) instead of a country (e.g., “Italian-American”) is because slave masters purposefully obliterated tribal ancestry, language and family units in order to destroy the spirit of the people they enslaved, thereby making it impossible for their descendants to trace their history prior to being born into slavery.

Ask the White Guy: Is a White Person From Africa an African-American? - DiversityInc

So, say a white guy from Nigeria moved here. He'd be referred to as a "Nigerian-American", not an African-American
That's just a bunch of racist PC crap. That you found it in a dictionary just goes to show that there is liberal racist PC crap in the dictionary. Does that really surprise you?

What dictionary, by the way? Your link is not to a dictionary, but to what appears to be an absurdly racist racial propaganda site, "Diversity Inc."

I don't mean to be rude, but people have to use your own brains sometimes. If people just mindlessly outsource their thinking functions to some supposed "expert" - in this case whoever wrote that "Ask the White Guy" article at your link - then they are just propaganda-spewing sock puppets.

And the reason they cannot trace back their ancestors is largely because they did not keep very good records of things like birth records and such. Writing and administration was never really a big thing with most of these tribes. Yes, war and conquest tore them up, but that was not done in the name of racism, regardless of what any any article says. Instead, it was done for the reasons of conquering these people to defeat them and sell them as slaves in exchange for money and power, as has been going on for thousands of years regardless of "race".

Last edited by Spartacus713; 08-05-2015 at 04:46 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I never understood the "people of color" term either, considering we're all "people of color"..... Is there anyone on earth who doesn't have a color to their skin?
"People of color," as the term is used by the people who originated it, are apparently everybody but European "whites". It is a fabricated divide contrived by a certain group of especially proactive racists in our society that they use to single out European "white" people in order to try to play off everyone else off against them. It is a manipulative and hostile concept without biological basis that only exists to help some people forward their own racist agendas.

In fact, there is really only one basic skin color, as virtually all people have brown skin of various different shades, ranging from very light to very dark. Albinos of course being the primary exception.

And nobody is truly without color.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
That's just a bunch of racist PC crap. That you found it in a dictionary just goes to show that there is liberal racist PC crap in the dictionary. Does that really surprise you?

What dictionary, by the way? Your link is not to a dictionary, but to what appears to be an absurdly racist racial propaganda site, "Diversity Inc."

I don't mean to be rude, but people have to use your own brains sometimes. If people just mindlessly outsource their thinking functions to some supposed "expert" - in this case whoever wrote that "Ask the White Guy" article at your link - then they are just propaganda-spewing sock puppets.

And the reason they cannot trace back their ancestors is largely because they did not keep very good records of things like birth records and such. Writing and administration was never really a big thing with most of these tribes. Yes, war and conquest tore them up, but that was not done in the name of racism, regardless of what any any article says. Instead, it was done for the reasons of conquering these people to defeat them and sell them as slaves in exchange for money and power, as has been going on for thousands of years regardless of "race".
In your search engine ( bing in my case ), type in "African-American define" and the definition comes up...

I agree with you, technically any African who comes to live in America is an "African-American"....

I'm just saying that the term is popularly associated with black Americans who can trace their lineage to slaves.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
In your search engine ( bing in my case ), type in "African-American define" and the definition comes up...

I agree with you, technically any African who comes to live in America is an "African-American"....

I'm just saying that the term is popularly associated with black Americans who can trace their lineage to slaves.
And I am saying that if the theory of evolution is correct, which says that all humans originated in
Africa, then every human on Earth can trace their lineage back to Africa by default.

Also, there are many "white" Africans who have lived there for generations that are very certainly African. Certainly more so than someone who has never been there, who has literally no clue who their ancestors were in Africa, and who has not had ancestors in Africa for hundreds of years, as is the case with nearly all "black" people in America.

The leftist PC racists do not get to make this determination. There are practical matters here that trump their racially divisive PC agenda.

Also, the idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:52 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

"I'm just saying that the term is popularly associated with black Americans"

I have NEVER heard ANY WHITE golfers from Africa called African-American. Hmm, I wonder why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_golfers

What I find ironic is all the work done in MLK's time to end segregation and soon after it happens many blacks INSIST on segregating themselves by using the term.

I thought they wanted inclusion.

I guess I was wrong.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:07 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
I don't refer to a person's color unless someone asks me to provide a physical description. Then I say things like black/white and man/woman. I stick with simple, observable descriptive words. If that offends anyone, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies