U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 04:35 AM

8,063 posts, read 3,860,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How do 600,000 adults function without an ID?

That is a good question? Who ever brought this law suit to bear wants no standards at all,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 04:52 AM

30,359 posts, read 19,994,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There's a big difference between having some requirements to own a gun - versus - not being able to vote at all.

So I have to have an ID to buy a hand gun but not to vote?

Old 08-06-2015, 04:57 AM

32,601 posts, read 13,754,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What ? The issue is about discrimination against Blacks.
They can't figure out how to get free IDs.

The illegals have no problem figuring out how to get free IDs so illegals are not the issue.
A majority of Blacks and Hispanics were impacted by this change, that is a large part of the argument. Maybe they can prove they had no intention of reducing minorities from the records. These were not illegals by the way from what I read they voted in prior elections and had expired licenses or other issues.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:59 AM

39,149 posts, read 40,516,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So someone could use their Idaho ID as their ID when voting in Texas if that is where they now live because they have a valid ID in another state already?
I didn't say that, what I said is they could be cross state valid. Most states are going to require you to get a valid license in that state when you move anyway. I know that's the case where I live.

Quote:
If a state ID somehow outweighs the benefits of a federal ID, then why do right wingers like to champion other countries that require a federal ID to vote?
Translation: I have no valid argument to make so I'm going to utter some BS.

Quote:
No, it is speculation on who would have won, though it is clear that out of those 175K votes that were thrown out, the majority of them went to Gore.
False, you cannot count the double votes and when those are excluded Bush wins based on numerous studies. That's just the facts.

Quote:
That was an example of voter fraud, that is the kind of voter fraud we should be trying to prevent.
That's not fraud as it was not intentional, just an idiotic way to vote.

Quote:
Well you can keep looking for the boogieman or you can actually focus on real voter fraud which happens on the collection side, not the in person voter fraud side. That is seriously one of the silliest things I have ever heard anyone to be worried about.
I more than happy to vote on all forms of voter fraud, suggest you do the same. Of course if you do that then some woman in Cincinnati might not be able to vote for Obama 7 times. Just saying...

Quote:

Congratulations on solving a fictional problem.
You can repeating that, the fact is it exists and no one knows the extent. Gore may have lost an election becsue of it, if you are going to be honest with yourself you'll have to admit that it's certainly possible. Bet that makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:01 AM

4,987 posts, read 2,649,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
This is far from over. It will work its way to the Supreme Court and then we get the final answer. No sense getting your panties in a wad yet.
And we will get the same ruling as the housing case. Oh my disproportionate disproportionate disproportionate! The mass hysteria for equality will be the death of this society.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:12 AM

39,149 posts, read 40,516,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
That is a good question?
It's probably a wildly inflated number, they did the same thing here in PA. They compared the voting rolls to those with valid state ID. The total "without ID" included invalid registrations(moved, died, etc.), fraudulent registrations and people with the numerous other ID's that were acceptable.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:30 AM

7,209 posts, read 2,987,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Liberals feel black people and Hispanics are too stupid and lazy to get a free ID.
What's amazing is that they are OK with that view. Seems racist as they lIke to say.
How do these oppressed black people board airplanes, cash checks, or buy alcohol without ID?

.............Crickets

Old 08-06-2015, 05:57 AM

32,601 posts, read 13,754,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
What's amazing is that they are OK with that view. Seems racist as they lIke to say.
How do these oppressed black people board airplanes, cash checks, or buy alcohol without ID?

.............Crickets
Mixing apples and oranges.

Voting is a right, buying alcohol and boarding an airplane are not basic rights.

By the way if you can board an airplane you can vote, the issue has a good deal to do with those that have no licenses or expired licenses.

The idea isn't to make it tougher for people to vote, particularly when it discriminates against minorities.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:59 AM

36,369 posts, read 15,914,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Very true, they require a federal photo ID, yet in the US we don't see right wingers pushing for a federal photo ID law....if they were, then we would be just like every other country that requires a federal photo ID to vote.
"we don't see right wingers pushing for a federal photo ID law...."

YOU SHOULDN'T MAKE SUCH DEFINITIVE STATEMENTS. IT MAKES YOU LOOK IGNORANT.

I am a right winger and I SUPPORT a national ID.

So, there goes your credibility on this issue.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:03 AM

36,369 posts, read 15,914,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I' m glad this judge had the sense to knock this down. The only way Republicans can win political races is if they rig the game. You have to ask yourself why is that? According to them a majority of Americans support their platform. If thats true then why do they persist on trying to block people from voting? I know they have self esteem issues but they should let the people, ALL the people, have their voices heard. But they fear that so they will continue to use these tactics.

The ones that whine the loudest are the "state's rights" crowd. Those guys seem to forget that we already settled that little matter back in 1865. Their side lost and I think it still irks them a bit to remember that.
"The only way Republicans can win political races is if they rig the game."

No THAT is funny!

The dems controlled the HOUSE for 49 STRAIGHT YEARS. I guess you think they DIDN'T gerrymander the hell out of district to help them stay in power.

The list is long of dead dems voting on other gimmicks they have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies