Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,797,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'd agree with you, if not for the fact that so many cities turn to the TOBACCO USERS via "sin taxes" to build their stadiums in the first place, like in Cleveland for instance....

Latest cigarette tax increase burns smokers | cleveland.com

There's just something wrong about raising taxes on tobacco users to build and maintain a stadium and then telling them they aren't welcome to use it, not even in designated areas.

Not to mention that it sends a mixed message. On one hand, they're trying to brainwash the public in to not using tobacco by stigmatizing it's use, but on the other hand, they are relying on that very activity for revenue. Just more government hypocrisy.
Then the government has to raise taxes in other areas as people stop smoking because the government cannot break away from the addiction of endless money taken from citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:43 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,997,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You can kill your unborn child, but god forbid you choose to use chewing tobacco at a baseball game.

I don't even want to think about what would happen if you were using chewing tobacco and drinking a soda over 12 ounces while carrying a concealed handgun. Probably would make a statist head explode.
It's likely not because of someone chewing tobacco at a baseball game.

It's likely because of the few idiots out there that are spitting in the stadium, not a container.

Remember folks... Things like this are often the result of a few morons ruining it for everyone.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,741,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I just heard the mayor of Boston banned fans from using or bringing chewing or smokeless tobacco to baseball games, and that San Francisco has a similar policy and Los Angles is considering it as well. WTF? Commie politicians and commie corporate sports teams are going to commie.
That's the problem when the owners use public money, they should fund the ball parks themselves, then they can tell the mayor to screw off.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It's likely not because of someone chewing tobacco at a baseball game.

It's likely because of the few idiots out there that are spitting in the stadium, not a container.

Remember folks... Things like this are often the result of a few morons ruining it for everyone.
So why aren't they banning sun flower seeds and peanuts in the shell? Both get thrown on the flower in droves at baseball games, one also being spit.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Default Mayor declares sports fan they can't use tobacco

Good!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,997,710 times
Quote:
So why aren't they banning sun flower seeds and peanuts in the shell? Both get thrown on the flower in droves at baseball games, one also being spit.
Those don't leave an odor.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Those don't leave an odor.
No one is banning chew because of odor.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:39 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm just curious.......does this apply to the players also? Seems a bit hypocritical if not and not likely to stand if so.
Yes, it does. The players are the main reason they're doing it. Narcissistic Liberals reason that the "young, impressionable youth" will see their "role models" using tobacco and they'll be more influenced to use it also.

I told ya..... it's all about control. Liberals are intent on engineering their view of "the model society"...... They aren't content to just make people aware of the dangers and leave people alone to make their own decisions, they simply must save us from ourselves.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-07-2015 at 01:51 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's 2015 - do people really still use dip? Gross.

Really can't imagine this would impact too many people at Fenway and it really shouldn't be acceptable at public parks. It was really gross walking past stinky loogies or Gatorade bottles filled with brown spit growing up playing youth league baseball and softball in the South where dip is far more common.

And because people are too lazy to cite their sources, Morning Updates: Fenway to soon be free of chewing tobacco and dip - Massachusetts news - Boston.com. It has only been proposed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Do people still dip in 2015? Yep. This morning at the gas station when I stopped for coffee on the way to work a military guy in line in front of me bought 2 logs of it.
Yep..... I've got a big ole' chaw of Stokers Apple in right now.

My journey with tobacco has been long and exhaustive, and I imagine it's one that will end within the next few years.

I started smoking at 14. Then, nearly 2 years ago, I decided to quit, and so I started smoking pipes and using dip to ween me off the cigarettes. Then, it was just dip exclusively. Then, a few weeks ago, I decided it was time to quit using dip, so I started using chewing tobacco to ween me off the dip. There's nothing left for me to substitute, and the next change I make will be to quit tobacco altogether. Each step has proven easier and easier to quit, and quitting the chewing tobacco will probably be the easiest.

That said, people still have a right to make the choices they want, and the government has no business demonizing anyone for the choices they make in life, just because our "betters" in government don't like those choices.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Then the government has to raise taxes in other areas as people stop smoking because the government cannot break away from the addiction of endless money taken from citizens.
Well see, the trick for the government is to find the middle ground. They have to keep raising tobacco taxes to get their revenue, but not raise them so much that people actually quit. They are challenged with finding that sweet spot.

Anyone who thinks the government actually wants people to quit using tobacco is moronic. I've got an ocean view property in Nebraska I'd like to sell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies