Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 04:34 PM

768 posts, read 718,502 times

Advertisements

My daughter dated black men. Three at different times. I thought I didn't have a prejudiced bone in my body. (We are white). But to my surprise, I didn't like it. So I spent a lot of time thinking about why I didn't like it. It bothered me a lot that it bothered me. I finally came to the conclusion that what I cared about the most was how any boyfriend treated her. As long as there was mutual respect, caring, consideration, he was honest & sincere & just treated her well, you know, all the things every relationship should have, then I'm happy for her & good with her choices.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:50 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
I can see his anger and frustration, some fathers are very close minded that they irrationally believe a black man is tainted and corrupt or whatever the hell these bigots think!

Now I understand a father wanting to make sure his daughter is not dating a bad apple, not being used, abused. But that is different than opposing a potential dating partner solely based on their skin color DESPITE BEING AN ALLROUND GREAT GUY.

I don't understand the logic. Same with guys who are pissed when they find their wife/girlfriend dated a black guy way back when. To me it is bizarre.

You are telling me you won't let your daughter date a smart black guy like Barack Obama or Ben Carson?

Old 08-07-2015, 04:59 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Generally speaking, I do not have issues with interracial dating. I do have issues when one of the partners is fetishizing or trophy-ing their partner based on their race, and the reason for the attraction is based on some sort of cultural stereotyping. Particularly when they exclude their own group.

If you date people because you like them, then good for you.
I avoid those guys.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:39 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
My comment have EVERYTHING to do with what was actually said in the video. He's just another brother whining about all the injustices done to him. My opinion is I DON'T CARE.
You don't..but yet you are posting here. He's not whining about anything. He did a spoken word performance about HIS experiences. Like most performers do.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:48 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post

You are telling me you won't let your daughter date a smart black guy like Barack Obama or Ben Carson?
Many people are immediately conflating class with race. Others are just straight up racist.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Ben Carson? Yes.

Barack Obama? Hell no!

If I'd had a daughter, she'd have been raised better than to associate with radicals, so she wouldn't be dating a Barack Obama in the first place.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:47 PM

756 posts, read 833,879 times
Cool Exactly. And I Love Bad Language:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post

Old 08-07-2015, 06:54 PM

404 posts, read 385,612 times
Quote:
I can see his anger and frustration, some fathers are very close minded that they irrationally believe a black man is tainted and corrupt or whatever the hell these bigots think!

Now I understand a father wanting to make sure his daughter is not dating a bad apple, not being used, abused. But that is different than opposing a potential dating partner solely based on their skin color DESPITE BEING AN ALLROUND GREAT GUY.

I don't understand the logic. Same with guys who are pissed when they find their wife/girlfriend dated a black guy way back when. To me it is bizarre.

Do you think deep down inside you were hoping she'd bring home a young man that was a physical reflection of you? A young white male.

I mean on top of having get to know someone that wants your daughter you also have to deal with another culture (historically one that's the most hated simply for their color). That's a lot to have to put up with. In addition to that, all of the stares you know you'll get.

This is the reality sadly.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:45 PM

78,379 posts, read 60,566,039 times
The bottom line to this whole thing is that you have a young man making generalized implications about white dads because he had some bad experiences with them being racist.

Sounds just like some stormfront dude justifying his racism by sharing anecdotal evidence of some black guys doing something bad like rioting or whatnot.

This is the next big hurdle in American racism after the old (mostly white) racists die out. It's the mass of people that seem to think they can say racist stuff because they are a "minority".

I tell you, the face of America 50 years from now is that of my fiance that is asian-native am-irish and more....my friends kids that are India-central american native-spanish-swedish and so forth.

Racism is stupid. Americas mix is going to one day show the world that.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
You guys are overthinking this, or you are unaware of poetry slams. They write what they know, and much of it involves something negative. They swear, they raise their voices, they sometimes rhyme, but not always. And they can sound like that whether their topic is the judgement of fathers, or peanut butter.

He's no more filled with real rage than this guy at a poetry slam, when performing his piece called, "
To the Boys Who May One Day Date My Daughter."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies