U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who won in your opinion the 9 pm debate
Trump 71 42.77%
Bush 3 1.81%
Huckabee 3 1.81%
Walker 1 0.60%
Carson 9 5.42%
Paul 6 3.61%
Christie 5 3.01%
Kasick 28 16.87%
Cruz 13 7.83%
Rubio 27 16.27%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2015, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,766 posts, read 2,167,498 times
Reputation: 7088

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
After watching the debate and reading some of the comments, my thoughts...

Kasich will not be the nominee but not for the reasons usually stated.

He's basically this cycle's Huntsman. Dem's claim they would vote for him but of course they never would. Repubs will supposedly never accept him because they're bats++t crazy and will never support a rino, yadda, yadda.

The truth is that Kasich has no physical/personal appeal. He may be qualified but he looks and sounds like his rumpled old postman father. He doesn't have an ounce of charisma or speaking ability so that is what will ultimately finish him. My God, why is Trump so popular? Because of his experience, qualifications or resume? No. Because he is a reality TV star who is bombastic, blustery and people literally can't take their eyes off of him.

Since 1980, the candidate who has won has always been the candidate that has the most personal/physical/emotional appeal. People simply want to be attracted to their president, whether it's physical or emotional. The so-called likability factor always seems to trump (no pun intended), other factors.
Yes, you've said what I was thinking. There are a host of subconscious factors that make someone appealing or not. People often don't realize they're even making decisions based on these things. It's not really fair because it goes above and beyond the person's qualifications, but it's true. Kasich's hunched posture, the way his eyes turn down at the outer corners, and his pockmarked cheeks denote frailty and poor health. Doesn't matter if he actually has a clean bill of health--this is the way our mammalian brain interprets these visuals.

There's also the matter of his name. Linguists actually study the attraction or repulsion to people based on the sounds of their names. When Gore was running, linguists advised against choosing Indiana governor Evan Bayh because a Gore-Bayh ticket sounds like goodbye. Kasich has "ick" in his name...many who don't know him think it's Kas"itch" which isn't much better. It didn't help that John McCain, a septuagenarian with white hair and a disability, had "cane" in his name. Nearly every American president has had a name that's plain enough to spell and pronounce to native English ears. The only exceptions are Eisenhower--it helped that he could shorten it to "I like Ike"--and Obama, whose name is exotic but still easy to spell and say. A candidate with a harsh-sounding German, Polish, Czech, or other Eastern European name that has an ambiguous pronunciation, silent letters, or a string of consonants with no vowels is behind the eight ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2015, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,964 posts, read 10,736,154 times
Reputation: 7242
I can't believe the results of this poll....

Apparently people are still addicted to the Trump Kool-Aid, never mind the fact that he has not offered even one detailed, substantive solution to any of the problems he has outlined in his fiery rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
35,012 posts, read 10,325,277 times
Reputation: 32872
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I can't believe the results of this poll....

Apparently people are still addicted to the Trump Kool-Aid, never mind the fact that he has not offered even one detailed, substantive solution to any of the problems he has outlined in his fiery rhetoric.

Yeah, well I can't believe people voted for Barack Obama, either, so I guess we're even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 05:16 PM
 
1,418 posts, read 1,328,758 times
Reputation: 1094
Default I've been wrong before, but ...

SO, Trump's claim to fame is that as a business tycoon he wins. So today, head to head against Hillary Clinton he loses according to the polls. So just like the homicidal computer in WAR GAMES, everything considered, Trump reasons, DON'T LOSE. How will that work? He can't win and he can't lose.

So scenarios people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,080,054 times
Reputation: 11698
Any of the GOP candidates would be better than Hillary Clinton. Why anyone thinks Trump is a clown is beyond me. People used to make fun of Reagan when he was running because of his being an actor. The debate was a travesty. Moderators talked more than candidates. Why was the left even a part of the debate? Rosie O'Donnell? Why was she there? Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 05:36 PM
 
44,201 posts, read 17,626,779 times
Reputation: 18629
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I can't believe the results of this poll....

Apparently people are still addicted to the Trump Kool-Aid, never mind the fact that he has not offered even one detailed, substantive solution to any of the problems he has outlined in his fiery rhetoric.
What Kool-Aid do you drink? Hillary Clinton? King Hillary has not offered even one detailed, substantive solution to any problems. Her forte is race & gender baiting, avoidance, and the occasional insult.

This is an example of a partisan statement where the other side is faulted for exactly the same thing done by their side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,179 posts, read 35,758,434 times
Reputation: 62444
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
You and I both know that if Mr. Trump did not participate, 14 people would have watched last night's debate.

Mick
I disagree with this vehemently, just as I disagreed with Trump's assertion that "nobody would be talking about illegal immigration if it wasn't for me."

Good grief, the man's ego is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,179 posts, read 35,758,434 times
Reputation: 62444
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well said +1

Megyn is really beginning to get on my nerves.
She needs to quit taking her cues from, oh what is that horrible woman's name...oh yes, Ann Coulter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Midwest
30,913 posts, read 19,448,065 times
Reputation: 7669
This was a word salad non-answer:

"KELLY: Governor Walker, in February you said that we needed to gain partners in the Arab world. Which Arab country not already in the U.S. led coalition has potential to be our greatest partner?


"WALKER: What about then, we need to focus on the ones we have. You look at Egypt, probably the best relationship we’ve had in Israel, at least in my lifetime, incredibly important."
'You look at the Saudis — in fact, earlier this year, I met with Saudi leaders, and leaders from the United Arab Emirates, and I asked them what’s the greatest challenge in the world today? Set aside the Iran deal. They said it’s the disengagement of America. We are leading from behind under the Obama-Clinton doctrine — America’s a great country. We need to stand up and start leading again, and we need to have allies, not just in Israel, but throughout the Persian Gulf.”

Cognitive Dissidence: Walker Fails In Foreign Policy And Geography
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 05:49 PM
 
9,881 posts, read 9,008,515 times
Reputation: 2874
Default Last night's biggest losers were Trump and Megyn Kelly

Trump because he thought it was a favor that Hillary Clinton came to his wedding. Megyn Kelly because she thinks women are more special than other people. She should have asked Donald Trump why he doesn't know how to interact with people in general. Losers, both of them imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top