Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won in your opinion the 9 pm debate
Trump 71 42.77%
Bush 3 1.81%
Huckabee 3 1.81%
Walker 1 0.60%
Carson 9 5.42%
Paul 6 3.61%
Christie 5 3.01%
Kasick 28 16.87%
Cruz 13 7.83%
Rubio 27 16.27%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 08:04 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
People who read Drudge are the types that show up to the primaries.
The results are pretty much the same in the Time online poll. 47% gave it to Trump. Time is not Drudge. The fact of the matter is the Fox attack backfired and Trump is going to go up not down in the polls now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 08:05 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
I was very disappointed with Rand Paul. His argument about NSA spying (we need to spy on terrorists more, not regular citizens) was lame because he couldn't even elaborate when challenged by Chris Christie with a simple "how are you going to do that?" question. I am still on the fence about the spying thing as nobody has yet come up with an answer on how you can weed out the big data between terrorists and regular folks to do the 'selective spying' as Rand Paul suggested. It's a good line to throw around but not as easy to accomplish in reality and nobody can figure out how to do it effectively yet.

Walker was the most bland up there and Ben Carson shone through towards the end. I don't think they would have a chance regardless. Neither would Cruz, his uncompromising style without thought of consequences will not win him any support but from the most extreme fans. Living in NoVa, I would never forget nor forgive him for the shut down he caused.

Trump, well. I hope people will now realize that he will never be GOP nominee, for the same reason why Cruz won't.

I still don't know whether I'll vote or not.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
It really appeared to me that Jeb Bush had prior access to the questions and got total softballs.

I think Trump did well in the face of blatant attacks. Megyn Kelly was very disappointing.
Trump's inability to control himself as it relates to prior remarks about more than 50% of the population is disappointing.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The fact that not one of the people on stage called out Trump on his treatment of Kelly, pretty much says it all. They are spineless and completely afraid of the Thumper.
I don't know but she came off as a ***** in the debate and as a moderator she was unfair, biased, and like others have already mentioned the same questions were not asked to al of the candidates.

A good moderator is unbiased, fair, and professional. You could clearly see that she had a disdain towards Donald Trump and fondness towards Marco Rubio.

I can understand her disdain towards Trump. The establishment clearly doesn't want Trump to win the nomination or even come close. Fox News is just a tool and Megyn Kelly is just fulfilling their mission.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No less professional than Candy Crowley, who was a total disaster.
Yes, you said it. That is exactly who Megyn Kelly reminded me.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Yeah because no one is probably blasting Trump on social media for his horrendous performance.

Donald Trump is such a joke that he makes Donald Duck look human.

I think you fail to realize that this is "expected" of Trump. I bet the rating on Fox News was probably one of the highest it's ever been b/c people wanted to see Trump be Trump.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:08 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I'm gonna drink every time I hear "Iran"
Why? That is one of the quintessential issues that will be the focus of this next election. The American people want to know, and need to know, where the candidates stand on that "deal".

Old 08-07-2015, 08:08 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But he still is too inexperienced to be President. What in his job history tells you he would ever be able to accomplish the things he said so eloquently? One of the things he said last night was he would repeal Dodd Frank. Isn't that what Senators do, write legislation to repeal laws? Why hasn't he introduced legislation to do it?

Some of the ones eloquently railing against Washington are Washington.
Being a governor is a totally different game from being President. And many of the candidates who oppose Marco Rubio only got experience as a governor. For instance Jeb Bush has little experience except as a governor of Florida.

Only John Kasich has a lot of experience as both a governor, and a legislator. But that doesn't mean he will be the best candidate for Republicans. It is more important to look at who can win, and who will be able to unite Republicans and Independent. I think Marco Rubio is the best choice for Republicans if they want to beat Hillary.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:10 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Kelly being blasted by thousands tonight on social media, for attacking Trump and indignant and unbecoming behavior as Mod on Debate.

Kelly truly made Candy Crowley look human.
I couldn't agree more.

She should have never been allowed to ask that ludicrous question, and her
other questions and demeanor were less than professional. What is most
disgusting is how Brit Hume later said Trump was the one being cruel to her,
and many other comments by the Fox News staff where they patted each other
on the back ad nauseum for what was truly a disrespectful, trivial "gotcha" style
provoke-a-thon.
Boo Hiss to Megan Kelly, the synthetic, non-geniune, shallow and classless tool.
Fox News had no tact. By intentionally seeking to generate controversy, their
staff undermined the office of the Presidency (something they do every night)
and intentionally sought to anger the candidates, which resulted in a debate
that made many of them appear angrier than they really are.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:10 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Trump won the debate. He got the most talking time while successfully combating the moderators who were clearly out to get him, while also landing some blows on his opponents.

Rand Paul tried to win the debate, but when goes "aggressive" it doesn't come off well. He comes off kind of shill because he talks from his throat too much. His speaking cadence when he is on the attack is a little too high and airy.

Sadly, the 2nd place finisher was Jeb Bush probably. Jeb was the second strongest candidate, which should tell you how weak the field was. I mean my god next to Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush seemed like a strapping Alpha male with rock solid convictions who speaks his mind. Walker and Carson are less interesting and dynamic than paint drying.
Trump did not win the debate.

He offered no specifics whatsoever and has zero appeal to the serious silent majority that makes up the bulk of the GOP primary electorate. No actual conservative is going to vote for someone who supports single payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies